Who here does yoga? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
subtastic

Who here does yoga?

I just started this summer. I sucked so badly at first and I still suck, but less than before. I like how relaxed I feel after class, although I am always a little afraid I'm going to zone out and drive off the road on my way home.

If you do yoga, what kind of yoga do you practice? Do you know of any DVDs that are good? My membership runs up soon and I'm tired of Wii Fit yoga. The instructors are annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:48 PM
SAS Member

Re: Who here does yoga?

While I have been doing yoga for a while, I started a series recently, and I noticed my SAD has reduced considerably.
http://holisticonline.com/remedies/Anxiety/anx_yoga.htm

- I highly recommend you learn 'Pranayam' from a yoga teacher.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 PM
SAS Member

my dish network(direct tv) has a exercise channel, fit tv, and there's a show on there called namaste yoga. i suck at yoga too because im not flexible at all and i dont have any balance but it helps me calm down.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:54 AM

Yoga is great. I like the CDs - e.g., "The Yogi's Companion" with Lauren Peterson with music by Deva Premal. Peterson's voice is soothing, and the experience is one of bodily awareness and self-acceptance. This one comes with an instruction booklet if you're a novice to the poses.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:44 PM
SAS Member

I LOVE yoga and have been doing it for about 8 years now. I bought the dvd "Yoga for beginners" by Patricia Walden. I found this to be excellent for learning the techniques and some basic, easy to do poses that work great. In fact, they are all the same poses I do to this day.

Here is a link to it for you:
http://www.gaiam.com/product/yoga-studi ... ers+dvd.do

Good luck to you!

"Riders on the storm; Into this house we're born; Into this world we're thrown. Like a dog without a bone; An actor out alone; Riders on the storm."
~ Jim Morrison ~
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM

I LOVE LOVE doing yoga. It just makes me feel better after doing it. I also do pilates.

I also do Namaste Yoga on Fit Tv. I always have the DVR set to record it. MTV Yoga is pretty good (you can find it in the store)

The yoga poses on Wii Fit are fun too (I agree, I got sick of the instructors too!) Yoga has really helped with my flexibility. You just have to work at it
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
SAS Member

I do it occasionally on that exercise channel. But I want to do a class! It's so relaxing and therapeutic!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:16 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyvandal
I LOVE LOVE doing yoga. It just makes me feel better after doing it. I also do pilates.

I also do Namaste Yoga on Fit Tv. I always have the DVR set to record it. MTV Yoga is pretty good (you can find it in the store)

The yoga poses on Wii Fit are fun too (I agree, I got sick of the instructors too!) Yoga has really helped with my flexibility. You just have to work at it

I agree, pilates is great too.

"Riders on the storm; Into this house we're born; Into this world we're thrown. Like a dog without a bone; An actor out alone; Riders on the storm."
~ Jim Morrison ~
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusmor
my dish network(direct tv) has a exercise channel, fit tv, and there's a show on there called namaste yoga. i suck at yoga too because im not flexible at all and i dont have any balance but it helps me calm down.
There's also the Oxygen channel show "Inhale." That one has the added bonus of lots of good music, not just the new-agey droning crap they sometimes play on other yoga shows.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:48 AM
SAS Member

I love doing yoga. I go to a class once a week, and I've improved so much since I started going earlier this year. I don't know what kind of yoga it is, but it's a hard class.

I also bought a book with loads of different yoga poses in, arranged according to what kind they are. I normally choose some of those to practice at home. I have tried some DVDs, including one called Power Yoga which is good, but often I like to choose what I do myself, according to how I feel each day.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 PM
SAS Member

I went for a hot yoga session a couple of days back. Now I have been doing regular yoga (not hot yoga) for a few years.

For The last 2 days, I felt so emotional that I started crying. I think this was thing good for me, as I usually end up keeping my emotions instead of letting them go at people. I don't remember the last time I got angry at anyone.

Also there is a minor sidenote of dealing with masculinity and crying.

It seems the hips store a lot of deep rooted unresolved emotions. So when you do postures which open the hips these emotions come to the fore. I never felt so sad in my life.

I have heard/read that yoga acts on many levels, this is the first time for me to see this side of yoga!

ok so, time to get back to my sad song...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page