Valerian - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Valerian

Has anyone tried this before? How does it make you feel? Does it help with sleep? Does it help with anxiety?

Allison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

16 views and not one experience?? (the jar is waiting patiently in my cubbie.. waiting for someone with an experience..)

Allison
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:02 AM
SAS Member

I have been taking this herb in a liquid form for about 5 months now along with Hops .I started taking it because I was having trouble sleeping through the night and not sleeping very long. The best thing I have noticed is that the tension that used to caused real pain in my neck seems to have gone or at least the pain has. I do think I am a little calmer than I used to be I used to get a very dry mouth that also seems to have gone. However, if I stop taking it the pain comes back. I still have some nights when I sleep better than others but I wake up later now between 5or6o'clock instead of 4. I hope this has beeen of use to you.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:11 AM
SAS Member

Re: Valerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekonaKini
Has anyone tried this before? How does it make you feel? Does it help with sleep? Does it help with anxiety?
I tried valerian tea once, when I was having trouble sleeping. It worked well, from what I remember. So well, that I stopped taking it, as my sleeping problems weren't too bad at the time and I didn't want to run the risk of becoming dependent on it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Whew! Finally some responses! Thank you - that gives me an idea of how it'll be. I've been having trouble sleeping through the night so maybe this will help a little bit.

Thanks

Allison
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 08:59 AM
SAS Member

I used it and found it helpful. There is a study somewhere that suggests it works better after using it for several days. I mainly used it during the daytime to control anxiety (using smaller doses). If I took too much at night, I noticed my breathing became slightly irregular and that kept me awake.

Valerian has a very "distinctive" aroma, I can't imagine drinking a tea. I took a capsule with the raw root. I picked a brand name that I researched on the web as being ok. I've read some brands are not as potent as claimed.

I haven't been using it recently. I moved on to more powerful sleeping pills for insomnia and my daytime anxiety has lessened.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork
I used it and found it helpful. There is a study somewhere that suggests it works better after using it for several days. I mainly used it during the daytime to control anxiety (using smaller doses). If I took too much at night, I noticed my breathing became slightly irregular and that kept me awake.

Valerian has a very "distinctive" aroma, I can't imagine drinking a tea. I took a capsule with the raw root. I picked a brand name that I researched on the web as being ok. I've read some brands are not as potent as claimed.

I haven't been using it recently. I moved on to more powerful sleeping pills for insomnia and my daytime anxiety has lessened.
How many mg did you use to control your anxiety? the pills I have are... 250mg each. Is that sleep help.. or anxiety help?

Allison
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 04:08 PM
SAS Member

I've tried it once in this herb sleep formula, it worked pretty well, but it doesn't have its side effects, mine was a near death experience..scary.

Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love, to work, to play, and to look up at the stars
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishful_thinking
I've tried it once in this herb sleep formula, it worked pretty well, but it doesn't have its side effects, mine was a near death experience..scary.
WHat do you mean doesn't have any side effects but yours was a near death experience? Explain further!

Allison
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:39 PM
SAS Member

The brand I used was of the raw root, and not an extract which might be more concentrated. The directions on the bottle recommended 3 530mg pills (1590mg total) 1 hour before bed time. For anxiety, I just took 1 pill at each meal.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 10:07 PM
SAS Member

I have an extremely hard time going to bed earlier then the night before. Even when I am tired, if it is not late enough my mind doesnt want to shut off. Sounds like something I should test. I'll update when I get some.

27/m/orlando
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:21 PM
SAS Member

I tried the pills for less than a week, I believe they were about 500 something mg's--they did calm me a little, but i stopped taking them b/c they gave me bad stomach cramps. I wouldn't recommend taking them. xx

porcelain faery
"trying to fly away,trying to find my way..."
xxx
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...Edgefairy3.gif

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page