Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Valerian (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f11/valerian-811/)

AlekonaKini 05-21-2005 05:14 PM

Valerian

Has anyone tried this before? How does it make you feel? Does it help with sleep? Does it help with anxiety?

AlekonaKini 05-22-2005 06:17 AM

16 views and not one experience?? (the jar is waiting patiently in my cubbie.. waiting for someone with an experience..)

Ladystardust 05-23-2005 06:02 AM

I have been taking this herb in a liquid form for about 5 months now along with Hops .I started taking it because I was having trouble sleeping through the night and not sleeping very long. The best thing I have noticed is that the tension that used to caused real pain in my neck seems to have gone or at least the pain has. I do think I am a little calmer than I used to be I used to get a very dry mouth that also seems to have gone. However, if I stop taking it the pain comes back. I still have some nights when I sleep better than others but I wake up later now between 5or6o'clock instead of 4. I hope this has beeen of use to you.

Amelia 05-23-2005 06:11 AM

Re: Valerian

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlekonaKini
Has anyone tried this before? How does it make you feel? Does it help with sleep? Does it help with anxiety?

I tried valerian tea once, when I was having trouble sleeping. It worked well, from what I remember. So well, that I stopped taking it, as my sleeping problems weren't too bad at the time and I didn't want to run the risk of becoming dependent on it.

AlekonaKini 05-23-2005 07:14 AM

Whew! Finally some responses! Thank you - that gives me an idea of how it'll be. I've been having trouble sleeping through the night so maybe this will help a little bit.

Mork 05-23-2005 09:59 AM

I used it and found it helpful. There is a study somewhere that suggests it works better after using it for several days. I mainly used it during the daytime to control anxiety (using smaller doses). If I took too much at night, I noticed my breathing became slightly irregular and that kept me awake.

Valerian has a very "distinctive" aroma, I can't imagine drinking a tea. I took a capsule with the raw root. I picked a brand name that I researched on the web as being ok. I've read some brands are not as potent as claimed.

I haven't been using it recently. I moved on to more powerful sleeping pills for insomnia and my daytime anxiety has lessened.

AlekonaKini 05-23-2005 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mork
I used it and found it helpful. There is a study somewhere that suggests it works better after using it for several days. I mainly used it during the daytime to control anxiety (using smaller doses). If I took too much at night, I noticed my breathing became slightly irregular and that kept me awake.

Valerian has a very "distinctive" aroma, I can't imagine drinking a tea. I took a capsule with the raw root. I picked a brand name that I researched on the web as being ok. I've read some brands are not as potent as claimed.

I haven't been using it recently. I moved on to more powerful sleeping pills for insomnia and my daytime anxiety has lessened.

How many mg did you use to control your anxiety? the pills I have are... 250mg each. Is that sleep help.. or anxiety help?

Melusine 05-23-2005 05:08 PM

I've tried it once in this herb sleep formula, it worked pretty well, but it doesn't have its side effects, mine was a near death experience..scary.

AlekonaKini 05-23-2005 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishful_thinking
I've tried it once in this herb sleep formula, it worked pretty well, but it doesn't have its side effects, mine was a near death experience..scary.

WHat do you mean doesn't have any side effects but yours was a near death experience? Explain further!

Mork 05-23-2005 08:39 PM

The brand I used was of the raw root, and not an extract which might be more concentrated. The directions on the bottle recommended 3 530mg pills (1590mg total) 1 hour before bed time. For anxiety, I just took 1 pill at each meal.

ABetterTomorrow 05-23-2005 11:07 PM

I have an extremely hard time going to bed earlier then the night before. Even when I am tired, if it is not late enough my mind doesnt want to shut off. Sounds like something I should test. I'll update when I get some.

porcelainfaery 06-02-2005 03:21 PM

I tried the pills for less than a week, I believe they were about 500 something mg's--they did calm me a little, but i stopped taking them b/c they gave me bad stomach cramps. I wouldn't recommend taking them. xx