St.John's Wort - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

St.John's Wort

it will be only a month that im on cymbalta and wellbutrin.dont feel any changes other then that i've got more angry and impatient.I was walking down the aisle in whole foods and saw the st john's wort.I bought a bottle,not sure if im gonna take it.I have an appt tmr with a very good doctor who will see what other meds we can try and if i have been diagnosed right.

I heard great thinsg about st wort,it can help depression.anyone here tried it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Spectacular Member

Re: St.John's Wort

dont mix st.John's Wort with antidepressants.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I wont start anything until i talk to my doctor tomorrow.I just dont know what im anymore,depressed,bipolar or just bad mood swings
ugh

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Spectacular Member

St.John's Wort is just a wimpy version of an anti-depressant used only in mild depression.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:29 AM
SAS Member

Also, I've heard from a dependable source that if you're bipolar, that St. John's Wort can end up sending you into a manic state so be careful.

You do it for yourself theres really no one else...

~Def Leppard~
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 12:50 PM
SAS Member

I've been taking st. john's wort for a while and it's just getting me by. It's great for mild depression but not really good for anxiety.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 01:08 PM
SAS Member

Location: Las Vegas, but I live anything but the Las Vegas lifestyle

SJW is ok as an augmentary supplement, but if you got things really bad, whether depression, anxiety, or something else, don't depend on it exclusively by any means.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 07:46 PM
X33
SAS Member

not to be a downer or anything, but I have been taking St Johns Wort for 2 weeks and I haven't noticed any benefits. It could be because I only have anxiety and not depression
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:04 PM
SAS Member

I've been taking it for 3-4 months now. My advice is go to the doc to get something else. However if for some reason you can't its better than nothing. It takes a long time to start doing any thing, and even then the effects are subtle. I have noticed that it has a small calming effect, anxiety is still present and if I get into a situation were I normally have high anxiety it does nothing, but over the course of a day, I am slightly more relaxed. Like I said it better than nothing but don't expect much.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 AM
SAS Member

It can interfere with birth control too, if that's relevant.

I actually took St. John's Wort in the past. I can't honestly tell whether I could distinguish an actual effect beyond placebo. In addition, I don't think that herbal supplements are regulated as carefully, so use with caution (each capsule/pill could contain different levels of St. John's Wort).

AIM: adamhoef

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
SAS Member

New studies in the United States had proved Saint John's wort is ineffective. Basically, the studies in its favor were poorly designed, had small samples, and were often done is parts of Europe were internal validity is not controlled. The most relevant study was conducted by the national institutes of health and found saint john's wort no more effective than a placebo for major depression of mild magnitude.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 06:07 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy
New studies in the United States had proved Saint John's wort is ineffective. Basically, the studies in its favor were poorly designed, had small samples, and were often done is parts of Europe were internal validity is not controlled. The most relevant study was conducted by the national institutes of health and found saint john's wort no more effective than a placebo for major depression of mild magnitude.
I'm not surprised. Could you share with us the link to this study?

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:30 PM
SAS Member

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 PM
SAS Member

Thanks.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy
yep, i always knew it was worthless. Its nice to have some facts proving that tho.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 AM
SAS Member

well I dont think its worthless. I took it way back when I was in college. It took about 2-3 weeks for full effect and I could tell a difference. I would wake up early and be wide awake. Never had that before. My anxiety was still there but depression was much better. I became photosensitive soo I stop taking it. Mississippi sun can be a beatch. My personal view is that it can be effective for depression but not for anxiety issues. Far from worthless.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 AM
SAS Member

Bumping this thread...

I bought a bottle of St. John's Wort yesterday and I took some this morning. I almost immediately noticed my mood was uplifted. Although some people say it has a calming effect, for me it calmed me in the way that I stopped noticing my heart beating really fast but it also gave me a good boost of energy. As for the anxiety, it hasn't done anything but it's my first day trying it so we'll see if my anxiety improves. I'll take another two capsules before work today at around 3 and I'll update again either later tonight or tomorrow.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:51 AM
SAS Member

One of the potential side effects listed for St. John's Wort is anxiety. Just FYI.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 AM
SAS Member

I've taken St. John's Wort by Kira and it has really helped me to feel a lot less stressed. The negative thoughts have really gone away and it really gives me a chance to focus on stuff thats bothering me.

I know that not all St. John's Wort are the same so it may be that the kind you took was effective but St. John's Wort by Kira really helped feel a lot better.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 AM
SAS Member

I think it works to some degree. I took it in college for a year. I would be wide awake early in the morning which is strange for me. It helped with depression but not to a large degree. I became a little photo sensitive during my use.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page