Running relieves my anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Running relieves my anxiety

When I run I find it is impossible to experience anxiety. The faster the run the better.

Threshold pace will vary from person to person but I am almost sure that if you are experiencing bad anxiety, if you go outside and run at threshold pace your anxiety will dissappear for a while. I don't think the body can process the fight/flight response in this moment.

I do a 5 mile run twice a week and a 7 mile club run; all around threshold pace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:00 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine

I do some walking every now and then, as I haven't done much running after my knees started having pains (I would do 10-18 km runs almost daily, and cos it was winter my feet would be in an angle and that's probably what caused the pains)

But I've found that generally all exercise makes me feel much better, while with almost nothing different otherwise I feel dull and depressed when not training.

On the downside, I usually start taking a lot of my free time for training. (Currently I do a sport where I practice with others, so I get a social circle while training which I find fulfilling as well).
Training too much usually causes me to be forced to take a break, during which the fall is bigger than the steady dullness of not exercising.

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 03:22 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I would run 24mi/39km a week - but schedules have it down to three 6mi runs.

The past few months, I have had pretty bad Achilles' tendonitis in my right leg. I just recently feel better enough to start running more than once a week.

It does help a lot, though.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raies View Post

I do some walking every now and then, as I haven't done much running after my knees started having pains (I would do 10-18 km runs almost daily, and cos it was winter my feet would be in an angle and that's probably what caused the pains)

But I've found that generally all exercise makes me feel much better, while with almost nothing different otherwise I feel dull and depressed when not training.

On the downside, I usually start taking a lot of my free time for training. (Currently I do a sport where I practice with others, so I get a social circle while training which I find fulfilling as well).
Training too much usually causes me to be forced to take a break, during which the fall is bigger than the steady dullness of not exercising.

Hmm, I don't really understand that video.

I don't cover a lot of mileage each week. I do 5 miles x3 each week in 34-35 minutes; so late 6 to early 7 minute miles. After that my body is too exhausted to experience the physical symptoms of anxiety. I don't shake or worry as much afterwards.

I don't actually have a GPS watch yet (one that tells you your distance, speed etc.). I use a cheap casio stopwatch.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:29 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I wish I could run that fast, but it ain't happenin'. I push for nine minute miles.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 01:50 AM
with a white shirt

Language: English and some spanish
My Mood: Blah
Running is definitely a positive with my anxiety. I did, however, get anxious while running one time because I thought my shadow was a dog chasing me...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page