Running relieve anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Running relieve anxiety

Does anybody have any experience or has anybody read about running and its effects on anxiety. I'm wondering if I should start waking up early and running in the mornings before work to help me get over the anxiety I deal with at my daily meeting at work?

I'm pretty set on running this Monday anyway, but was curious if anybody had any knowledge or first-hand experience.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 09:31 PM
SAS Member

For me, it helps for maybe 2 hours after running. It's not a cure all, but I have noticed a slight drop for that short period of time.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 10:40 PM
SAS Member

Yes i do alot of running and i find that it really helps with my anxiety. Also if im feeling a bit down or even just a little low on energy ill force myself to go for a run and i find that it really clears my head and actually gives me more energy, plus i sleep better as well!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 03:30 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

oh for sure. don't do too much at once though man, you'll put yourself at risk of injury. i've got a compound fracture atm due to running too hard, it's a bit of a bi-atch. been enjoying some mountain biking though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:55 PM
subtastic

It helps for me, but I once tore my shins really badly after overdoing it. I really overdo it if I use a treadmill because I get obsessed with the numbers (speed, time, calories, etc).

So yeah, don't overdo it. Because then you can't do it at all I had to not run for a month.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:35 PM
SAS Member

I can't run longer than five minutes without dying of exhaustion. So I walk. It really does a lot for me both mentally and physically.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Hi All,

Sorry for the long delay in reply! Thanks for all of your input. I haven't been running in the morning yet, and I still have the anxiety during my morning meeting at work!

So, I have almost finished clearing out room for my treadmill...I'll get it up and running (no pun intended) very shortly. I'm hopeful that a little morning run will help get me over the anxiety.

Thanks for the warnings on over-doing; I'll keep that in mind!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Just an update:

I've been running in the mornings now, before the family is awake...only a 5k so far, but will work it up to 5 miles. I feel GREAT after the run for a few hours, but my runs are so early, that the "high" wears off by the time I have my stressful meeting.

That being said, I've noticed much less anxiety in the last few meetings...is it a result of the running? Is it a result of my breathing tricks and positive thoughts? Is it a placebo? Who knows, but it's working!

Just an FYI for any of you who might want to try running (or any aerobic exercise) as a way to combat anxiety!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 12:31 PM
SAS Member

It hurts!

just one more song to slay this earth
and i can't explain myself just what it's worth
it was all i had, but not all i'd need
and i can't escape the fact that i still bleed
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 01:27 PM
SAS Member

Running works better than meds for about 2 hours and than the feeling goes away till you run next time.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 08:47 AM
SAS Member

I like jogging because it helps so much but I usually jog at nighttime, I should start earlier i the day. But it's also been difficult for me lately because I have so little time for stuff because school takes up a lot of it and by the end of the day too, I'm just so exhausted.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page