Rhodiola Rosea? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Rhodiola Rosea?

Anyone tried this for anxiety or depression?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 10:32 AM
SAS Member

Re: Rhodiola Rosea?

YES! This supplement is amazing and you know what? IT WORKS! I swear by it and take this daily. Try to use a quality supplement. I use Gaia herbs. I'm happy someone else found this miracle herb. It raises your energy levels, gives you mental clarity and concentration all without stimulatory effect. So, like caffeine does, it wont give you a quick high then a low.

The Food & Drug Administration (FDA)

It's the government's way of trying to protect you from protecting yourself.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 PM
SAS Member

Beggiatoa, what dosage are you taking it at? I've been taking 500mg once a day for about 2 weeks, and I feel nothing.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 PM
SAS Member

What brand are you using? I've tried the Gaia hebs liquid version with good success. There's also a company that makes it in a a product called arctic root.

http://www.proactivebio.com/viewproduct ... _product=5

I've never tried it but all the studies done on rhodiola have used this brand, so it must be good. I take about 400 mg/day.

post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:39 PM
SAS Member

ive tried new chapter's 'rhodiola force 100'. i dont think it had any effect on me, maybe when i first started taking it.
im going to buy another brand and see if it works.

up with the partridge

http://www.chrisvey.com
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
SAS Member

I am going to buy this stuff tomorrow. I have read numerous awesome benefits of this stuff. I'm really excited to try it!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a part of some info I found on it:

Rhodiola rosea has been shown effective in improving mood and alleviating depression and anxiety. Research from Russia has shown that it improves both mental and physical performance, prevents sickness in high altitudes, and reduces fatigue. Rhodiola rosea’s effects are attributed to its ability to optimize serotonin and dopamine levels and its influence on opioid peptides like beta-endorphins.

"Riders on the storm; Into this house we're born; Into this world we're thrown. Like a dog without a bone; An actor out alone; Riders on the storm."
~ Jim Morrison ~
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:00 PM

i'm going to give this a try!
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Ninja

My Mood: Bashful

Seems interesting. Let us know if it works for you, Coco!

As much as you doubt you're a Ninja, it's equally likely that you are one.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:21 PM
SAS Member

Okay I'll let you know, for sure.

I bought the GNC brand, although that is not really what I wanted to do.

I wanted to find a brand that I knew was harvested the plant in Siberia/Russia because from what I read, that is what contains most of the active ingredients and stuff from China is not the same at all. I checked/emailed "Nature's Way" and theirs is from Northern China. I'm not saying theirs doesn't work, I'm just going by what I read on the internet. If I read it on the internet it must be true, right?

I went to the local health food store to ask if they had one from Russia there but they changed their hours and were closed when I got there.

Because I wanted it so badly, I just went to GNC.......hesitantly.......but did it anyway. Of course the sales lady did not know where their brand was harvested and I couldn't get all the info I wanted on their brand but I bought it anyway.

So, if it doesn't work at all or doesn't work well, I'll probably attribute it to the brand and order a good one online.

Either way, I'm going to try it tomorrow morning.

If you google it, you'll find TONS of good things about it. It seems very promising so I am hopeful.

I am wondering/considering weaning off of my Lexapro if it works because I think I'm experiencing "ssri poop out" and am generally disgusted with antidepressants anymore. I'm not saying for sure what I'm going to do about my Lexapro but time will tell. I'm also not swearing off all antidepressants forever.....I'm just not so happy with them and their side effects so I'm in limbo about them at this point.

This herb is supposed to have no side effects and no known interactions. So thats good.

Anywho, I'll let you know what happens.

"Riders on the storm; Into this house we're born; Into this world we're thrown. Like a dog without a bone; An actor out alone; Riders on the storm."
~ Jim Morrison ~
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Fun...Fluid...Formidable

My Mood: Breezy

I hope it does work and let us know. I wouldn't mind trying some for maintenance. I know what you mean by SSRI poop out. They get to be grind after a while.

Anxiety-free since a quarter a' three...
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Ninja

I found an online store (norwegian) that offers one month's worth of free samples of this. I'm not sure if it's the 'good' kind of brand, but won't hurt to try it I suppose! It's probably harvested here in Norway since the plant apparently grows a lot around here.

I ordered the free sample so I guess I'll be trying it as well.

post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM
SAS Member

Yay! How exciting! I bet its a good one. Good luck!

This one looks very promising. But I'm a little confused as to why the price is so low with how good it apparently is:
http://www.americannutrition.com/store/ ... tract.html

From what I read, quality Rhodiola rosea extract should contain at least 3% rosavins and 1% or less salidroside. So that is something to look out for when purchasing. 2% rosavins is also do-able but the dose is just a little higher dose than what you would take for something with 3%.

~ Jim Morrison ~
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
SAS Member

I also read many places to take it for 4 months and then take a 2 week break before taking it again.

~ Jim Morrison ~
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:50 PM
SAS Member

Try the Gaia Herbs liquid gels. I've been using this label for a while with good results. I switched to the Life Extension brand but I didn't feel the same effects and I had to double up on the dose. So, I'm going back to Gaia. I couldn't go a day without it. It helps me study and It also increases my stamina in the gym.

Please, post results.

post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 AM
SAS Member

^thanks^

I just took my first pill so we'll see.

If I don't think I'm getting optimum results from this brand I'll try a better one. Probably the one you reccomend.

The kind I have is 3% rosavins the serving size is 340 mg. once a day.

~ Jim Morrison ~
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Ninja

For the one I ordered, the recommended serving size appears the be only 6mg (1%) rosavins per day (2 capsules at 300mg).

The dosages of the active ingredients seem to vary a lot between different brands. I looked at the Gaia Herbs one and that contains 12mg of rosavin per 2 capsules.

Hm, I'm thinking when I start up with the brand I ordered maybe I should try taking 3 or 4 capsules a day for a more prominent effect?

post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 AM
SAS Member

On Thursday I'm going to my local natural foods store to buy the Gaia brand.

I'm sick today. Stuffed up, coughing, pain in upper back. I think I may have an upper respiratory infection or something. I feel like complete hell.

So, I don't know if this brand is helping or not because I feel like **** anyway.

But I'm buying the other brand tomorrow and I'm going to give it a couple days to see if I see any effect.

So, I'm thinking I'll know if either is working by Monday.

~ Jim Morrison ~
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Ninja

Aw, sorry to hear that. Feel better soon!

post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 AM
SAS Member

Thanks, Polar.

Well I called my local store and they are out.

So I just ordered the Gaia brand online:
http://www.centerfornaturalhealing.com/

The price isn't bad at all.

~ Jim Morrison ~
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 PM
SAS Member

Although I speculated that I got a not-so-good brand, I have noticed quite a few differences today once I finally REALLY ( I think I've been getting a sort of Melatonin hangover, so I'm going to quit that) woke up for the day.

I had more energy, definitely, and feel like I'm thinking clearer. Also, I feel more "stable" in general. I didn't feel depressed at all - all day, which was a definite change from the last couple of days.

Yeah, I feel pretty good.

So if this stuff is doing pretty well like I think it is, I bet the good stuff will be even better.

I'll let you all know how tomorrow goes.

~ Jim Morrison ~

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page