Recipes thread (no pastry, please) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead

Recipes thread (no pastry, please)

Hi. There was a recipes thread, but it's not active anymore. So I thought to create one again. The only difference is that I'm leaning towards something healthy and no pastry. I mean it doesn't have to be something extremely healthy, aimed towards loosing weight all the time. I wouldn't prefer that either. It also still has to be tasty. I guess, just your regular food that is not that unhealthy would be perfect. I would also like as little of recipes of sweet stuff as possible. Oh and preferably something without meat, but not necessarily. Personally I'm not a vegan, but vegan recipes are just as welcome, of course. Looking forward to gluten-free ones too.

Please, any level of difficulty. 0th too lol.

You know, the reason why I want to find new recipes is because I realized (long ago, actually) that people in my country eat a bunch of unhealthy food, often with lots of calories, bread, pastry and mayonese. Yuck...

So I'd rather like to find what people from other countries who have much healthier eating habits eat and to cook that. Not sure if it's a correct subforum for this thread btw...

But then I don't want this thread to be for me alone so these are just my personal preferences...

Sorry for not currently replying to your posts addressed to me. I will do that later (hopefully in a few days) because now I can't Please, don't take it personally because you have nothing to do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:58 PM
SAS Member

Hi there!
Out of curiosity, which country do you live in?
I like trying new and ideally healthy recipes 🙂 I try to mostly eat vegetarian, but occasionally have a little fish or meat.

What kind of food do you enjoy?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaZ View Post
Hi there!
Out of curiosity, which country do you live in?
I like trying new and ideally healthy recipes 🙂 I try to mostly eat vegetarian, but occasionally have a little fish or meat.

What kind of food do you enjoy?
Hi

I知 from an Eastern European post-Soviet country Don稚 want to mention the name of it in public posts for my paranoid reasons.

I知 not picky when it comes to food at all if I want to eat. As for super favourite food ingredients, I知 especially into mushrooms and cheese for some reason. I知 quite addicted to sugar so I知 trying not to consume it at all expect for fruit.

What about you?

Sorry for not currently replying to your posts addressed to me. I will do that later (hopefully in a few days) because now I can't Please, don't take it personally because you have nothing to do with it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:15 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
Hi

I知 from an Eastern European post-Soviet country Don稚 want to mention the name of it in public posts for my paranoid reasons.

I知 not picky when it comes to food at all if I want to eat. As for super favourite food ingredients, I知 especially into mushrooms and cheese for some reason. I知 quite addicted to sugar so I知 trying not to consume it at all expect for fruit.

What about you?
I grew up and live in Canada, but I was actually born in Russia. Kamchatka, to be precise. (I hope that痴 not a problem. I feel a lot of guilt related to where I was born, and what that nation has done over the centuries.)

I also really like mushrooms! One of my favourite dishes is mushroom stroganoff.
I try to eat mostly vegetarian or vegan. I gave a few great recipes to share!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:49 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java, C#
One of my favorites is homemade jambalaya. Not really healthy, but definitely tasty, and definitely not a pastry.

It takes chicken, Andouille sausage, peanut oil, celery, green pepper, green onions, diced Italian-style tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, black pepper, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, rice and a bit of chicken broth.

Chop up the chicken, sausage, celery, green pepper and green onions pretty small. Heat some peanut oil in a pan; add chicken and stir fry until not pink anymore; remove and set aside. In the same pan, add more oil and the sausage. Add some Cajun seasoning, to taste; cook until done. Remove from pan and set aside. Still in the same pan, add the celery, green pepper and green onions, and stir fry a couple of minutes. Then add the tomatoes, black pepper, cayenne pepper, Worchestershire sauce and hot sauce; continue stir frying for a few more minutes. Add the chicken and sausage back in and stir. Then add a few cups of rice, and one small 20-oz can of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for about 20 minutes. Then serve and enjoy!

I don't have the recipe on-hand ATM but I could get the exact measurements it recommends. We like it meaty so we do like 2 chicken breasts, a pack of 3 sausages, with like 2-3 celery sticks, one large green pepper, one bunch of green onions and just one small can of diced tomatoes. And that serves three of us for two meals -- and we eat fairly large portions, I guess. I think it's only like a tablespoon of the Worchestershire sauce, and a teaspoon of the hot sauce. 2 cups of rice, and about 20 oz of broth. And of course season to taste with the Cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper; add just a bit if you don't like it spicy.

It's really good with biscuits IMO. We get the cheesy biscuit mix from Red Lobster -- it goes really well with the jambalaya.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaZ View Post
I grew up and live in Canada, but I was actually born in Russia. Kamchatka, to be precise. (I hope that’s not a problem. I feel a lot of guilt related to where I was born, and what that nation has done over the centuries.)

I also really like mushrooms! One of my favourite dishes is mushroom stroganoff.
I try to eat mostly vegetarian or vegan. I gave a few great recipes to share!
That’s alright. Do you know why? Because that’s where I’m also from Just had to reveal it now given what you said I also feel guilty for that when it comes to people from the countries that were oppressed and/or invaded by mine and national minorities there. But I think you shouldn’t feel so guilty or responsible for something you had no power of. Especially you because you were a child when your family moved to another country. So you weren’t even in it as an adult when any of that was happening. It’s more like unhealthy (“toxic”) guilt.

Although I was just thinking about national and cultural identity, seeking the roots... I guess I would feel the same way even if I lived abroad as an immigrant since childhood. Lots of trauma in R-n people for centuries. I guess it played a major part in the ugly history and what is still there... But even despite that there are still a couple of upsides such as fictional literature of the past and I’m not only talking about well-known one. I also read about some figures that were resisting to the system and they feel so heroic and great, more so than if they existed in less authoritarian countries (although I might be wrong cause that’s only my perception so far). These people simply transcended their humanness. There are still very brave people who risk their lives, health, freedom (as in “not to be convicted” freedom) and even lives and wellbeing of their families sometimes (in case of threats and pressuring) daily to resist the system. The bravest are the tiny minority, but they’re there and they exist.

Haven’t heard if that dish with mushrooms Do you know about “Julienne”? It’s not vegan, but there’s no meat. I just love every dish with them. Mushroom soups, pizzas, fried potatoes with mushrooms and onions fried together. Ok, that’s unhealthy. That’s why I want to revise my menu

Please share the recipes if you want

@Tetragammon thanks for the recipe! Sounds delicious.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 06:56 PM
SAS Member

That is a pretty funny coincidence
And you do make a good point. None of it was my fault per se. However, I always feel like people are going to judge me for bad things that are happening there. Kind of just bunch me up into the same group.

And mushroom Stroganoff is a lot like the version with the beef, except this one doesn稚 have meat. It has onions, mushrooms and some smetana

Here is a link to a recipe, to give you an idea (I usually substitute with vegetable broth, btw):
https://damndelicious.net/2019/02/06...om-stroganoff/

It has been so long since I moved from Russia. Out of curiosity, do you have access to raw cashew nuts?

And how do you feel about beets? Lol

Have a lovely day and talk to you soon.

Alena

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page