New Weight Loss Support Thread - Page 31 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #601 of 626 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:30 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
I am trying my arse off to diet now, again. Down to 236.2 from 250. Carrying much more muscle than last time I really wanna see what it looks like with another 30lbs off. Not lots of muscle, but into the "he looks like he lifts" range lol. Am also way too scary at this size, tbh.

Introduced a lot more additional isolation work, and spamming the **** out of frequency. Seems to be almost no recovery issue with those additional small movements, am doing 3 sets of bicep ez curls and overhead tricep extensions maybe 5 days a week, the weight lifted keeps going up. I know not supposed to train every day, but (was reading some stuff from renaissance periodization) the recovery is so quick its no biggie for small muscle groups, and should be looking at weekly volume. Theres another science based guy who recommends training every day, forget his name. So long as volume is controlled and the muscles are small.

Have swapped deadlifts for rack pulls. I feel more comfortable there with my neck and lower back.

Bench press, switching to a higher rep range (8-12). Still working off estimated 1rm there, think that's up to 87 now. Going to keep plugging away at that.

Nice one mate Glad to hear you are making progress and no pain is always a bonus hah.
Thanks. Feels good to get back on track after a lot of bad weeks in a row. And yeah, it's kinda funny when you're excited about not being in pain, lol. Congrats on the weight loss so far, too.

Squat Every Day by Matt Perryman is a good read about high frequency training if you can find a copy. Wasn't in that group of ebooks unfortunately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 626 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
Thanks. Feels good to get back on track after a lot of bad weeks in a row. And yeah, it's kinda funny when you're excited about not being in pain, lol. Congrats on the weight loss so far, too.

Squat Every Day by Matt Perryman is a good read about high frequency training if you can find a copy. Wasn't in that group of ebooks unfortunately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hah, I know re pain lol. I still get the odd neck twinge on rows (no clue why), but if I ease back the weight then build up it can handle it. Also both of my elbows have minor niggles, but neither is worsening (which is good enough for me), and my right shoulder impingement seems to be slowly getting better.

All good, so long as I can train . Just ****ing around with volume and keeping things better than worse.

Ah, have heard of that Squat Every Day book actually. Actually this is the guy https://mennohenselmans.com/ his website looks a bit scammy, but he is legit. On lots of podcasts with other sciency guys and knows his ****.

Really though, being honest, I just like training arms every day. I like getting a pump in arms, and anything that makes me feel better atm I am down with. If the strength stops going up I will reduce frequency, until then, if it works, its good enough.

I think it was the inventor of RPE (forget his name) who said that strength training is like finding your way through a cave, in the dark, with walls that move around, using a flashlight (flashlight is science and experience). So if something works, keep doing it until it doesn't .

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #603 of 626 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 AM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Hah, I know re pain lol. I still get the odd neck twinge on rows (no clue why), but if I ease back the weight then build up it can handle it. Also both of my elbows have minor niggles, but neither is worsening (which is good enough for me), and my right shoulder impingement seems to be slowly getting better.

All good, so long as I can train . Just ****ing around with volume and keeping things better than worse.

Ah, have heard of that Squat Every Day book actually. Actually this is the guy https://mennohenselmans.com/ his website looks a bit scammy, but he is legit. On lots of podcasts with other sciency guys and knows his ****.

Really though, being honest, I just like training arms every day. I like getting a pump in arms, and anything that makes me feel better atm I am down with. If the strength stops going up I will reduce frequency, until then, if it works, its good enough.

I think it was the inventor of RPE (forget his name) who said that strength training is like finding your way through a cave, in the dark, with walls that move around, using a flashlight (flashlight is science and experience). So if something works, keep doing it until it doesn't .
Had most of a reply typed out and went to bed last night and the page refreshed and deleted. But yeah, not familiar with that guy, but I like the articles on not training to failure and spacing volume out over the week. It's in line with my experience and what I've read on the topics. Greg Nuckols is another good science guy, Stronger by Science is his website.

For sure like finding your way through a cave with a flashlight. The key is sticking through all the times when you're stuck and figuring out what you have to do to keep going.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #604 of 626 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:23 AM
Worthless Garbage

My Mood: Dead
I weighed 156 this morning, and the lowest I was so far was 154. I've basically caught up to where I was. I'm glad I got back on track. I'm happy to continue with this.
post #605 of 626 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:22 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisigv View Post
I weighed 156 this morning, and the lowest I was so far was 154. I've basically caught up to where I was. I'm glad I got back on track. I'm happy to continue with this.
I don't know what you were before you started but from your pictures, you didn't look like you needed to lose any, TBH. How tall are you?

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #606 of 626 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:35 AM
Worthless Garbage

My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I don't know what you were before you started but from your pictures, you didn't look like you needed to lose any, TBH. How tall are you?
I was 210 pounds at the beginning of all this, a couple Aprils ago. I'm about 5'4", so I definitely had weight to lose and still do.
post #607 of 626 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:59 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
I was 210 pounds at the beginning of all this, a couple Aprils ago. I'm about 5'4", so I definitely had weight to lose and still do.
Interesting. You didn't look it. Well, congrats. Just be careful with weight loss. Sometimes people push themselves too hard to lose weight faster than is healthy. You might think losing weight just has to be healthy but when you think about it, it's possible to be "normal weight" and be very unhealthy.

I was about 210 as well a few years ago. I decided I needed to get back down to the weight I was when I was in my 20s (145). I did it but I pushed myself too hard and did not feel well at all. I was waking up with palpitations every night. So I stopped pushing myself so hard and now am back to 165. Been more or less hovering there for months. So....my newer clothes I bought are a bit tight again but I feel somewhat better. And I guess I still lost about 50 pounds.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #608 of 626 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:35 AM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Congrats!
post #609 of 626 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:52 AM
I am average!

Trying very hard again to lose weight, and then afterwards I am going to gain muscle. I am 73kg, expecting I have to be 63-64kg before I am at a very low and right fat percent.
post #610 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Tired

Blip on the weight loss front again, 237, but still looking better so think I am slowly recomping, and just about have control of the bingeing. Really ****ing hard to lose weight after being dumped, but that's exactly the time to do it.

No real improvements in bench. My accessory lifts are still improving though. Keeping up the training and hopefully after some of this stress dissipates things will improve.

Unfortunately, old bicep injury is back, so having to ease off the curls again and wait for it to heal, do what I did next time. My neck is now feeling good enough to try adding in shoulder press again.

post #611 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:44 AM
Barbells and kittens

Weight is staying around 209lbs. Good week for bench, hit a new rep PR on my AMRAP on Thursday. Still no pain. Deadlift I picked a weight that was too heavy for my 5x5 yesterday and wasn't able to finish it. I chose it based on the RPE of my AMRAP set last week and that was a bit aggressive. Overall I still feel like I'm on the right track though.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #612 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Barbells and kittens

Hit a goal of mine today, a 405lb front squat.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #613 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Barbells and kittens

Up to 215lbs as of this morning. Bench went really well on Thursday. Back to decent weight and best of all no pain so far.

Been thinking and looking at numbers and I think I'm gonna do full power (squat, bench, and deadlift) at this meet instead of just push pull and shoot for 1642lbs total. That's considered elite at 220lbs. Haven't been training back squat in about a year because I've been pushing deadlift hard, so kinda short notice going back to it this close. Gonna try it on Tuesday and see where I'm at and decide for sure from there. Hopefully all the front squats have maintained my back squat.

Six weeks to go from today.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #614 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Tired

Weight down to 231. Getting into a good range now. Fasting and insane amounts of exercise. My calories are avg 2200, maintenance probably 3000, and am burning maybe 500 a day atm, so its a pretty insane deficit, fuelled by breakup and the need to self improve, but whatever the **** works. Will revert to something sane soon.

Am also limiting my diet to the same foods, or very similar. It's boring as ****, but that tends to further reduce appetite.

Whatever works.

Difficult to maintain strength at this deficit and my protein intake is a little low, but have enough fat that i doubt it will be a problem. Muscle memory later anyway. Will try to up my protein though, its just tricky without injesting either liquid calories, or deliciousness, both of which are the enemy atm.

Quote:
Up to 215lbs as of this morning. Bench went really well on Thursday. Back to decent weight and best of all no pain so far.

Been thinking and looking at numbers and I think I'm gonna do full power (squat, bench, and deadlift) at this meet instead of just push pull and shoot for 1642lbs total. That's considered elite at 220lbs. Haven't been training back squat in about a year because I've been pushing deadlift hard, so kinda short notice going back to it this close. Gonna try it on Tuesday and see where I'm at and decide for sure from there. Hopefully all the front squats have maintained my back squat.

Six weeks to go from today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good luck fella, hope it all progresses smoothly. Good to hear no pain. My elbow issues seem to have resolved weirdly, I guess its just that lag time it takes for the tendons to catch up with everything else.

post #615 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:39 AM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Am also limiting my diet to the same foods, or very similar. It's boring as ****, but that tends to further reduce appetite.

It's better that way for gaining or losing weight in my experience. Easier to track macros when you're eating a lot of the same things. When your meals are prepped and you know exactly what and when you're eating it's easier to stay on track, too. It becomes more mechanical where you don't really think about being hungry or full so much. When it's time to eat you do and when it's not you don't.

I pretty well eat a lot of the same meals every day until I get tired of them. When it starts taking like 30-45 minutes to finish a meal I know it's time to switch.

Quote:
Good luck fella, hope it all progresses smoothly. Good to hear no pain. My elbow issues seem to have resolved weirdly, I guess its just that lag time it takes for the tendons to catch up with everything else.
Possible elbow issues are a big concern right now since I've reintroduced low bar squat plus I'm benching 4x/week. Severe elbow pain could put me out of commission a few days for both lifts. I had a squat and bench day Tuesday and I took 800mg of Ibuprofen beforehand and it felt okay. Did feel it a little at work yesterday, but not too bad. Hip stuff worries me as well with doing low bar squat plus sumo deadlift. Oh well, just need to make it a little over five more weeks intact and I've got a good shot at my goal.

Anyway, glad you're still at it. I was wondering.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #616 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:13 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Thought Id ask you guys a couple of questions (I sometimes nosy on this thread!).

I can be good all day, picking the right foods etc and avoiding the bad ones but my appetite ups intensely in the evenings. Does this happen to anyone else? I think its related to activity. I'm active all day but as soon as I sit down I want to eat chocolate.

I'm also trying to get to the gym but this makes me so much more hungry. I'm guessing its the calorie deficit but it just makes life so hard. Is this something you just have have will power to overcome or can anyone suggest anything to help?

Thanks in advance.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't as conscious as I am. It would be so much easier."
post #617 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven17 View Post
Thought Id ask you guys a couple of questions (I sometimes nosy on this thread!).

I can be good all day, picking the right foods etc and avoiding the bad ones but my appetite ups intensely in the evenings. Does this happen to anyone else? I think its related to activity. I'm active all day but as soon as I sit down I want to eat chocolate.

I'm also trying to get to the gym but this makes me so much more hungry. I'm guessing its the calorie deficit but it just makes life so hard. Is this something you just have have will power to overcome or can anyone suggest anything to help?

Thanks in advance.
I eat on a very strict schedule. Breakfast first thing in the morning, a mid morning meal, lunch, a mid afternoon meal, and dinner in the evening. I cook my breakfast every morning, the three middle meals are generally when I'm at work and I prep them ahead of time, dinners we usually figure out the whole week and get the stuff on the weekend. Even when I'm off work I still meal prep the same and carry my cooler around with me.

With everything planned out nothing is left to chance where I might have to make a poor food choice out of convenience. I eat only during my designated meal times regardless of whether I'm hungry or not. I've been doing it so long I don't even think about it anymore. All the food prepping and eating is a part of my routine just like brushing my teeth.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #618 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven17 View Post

Thanks in advance.
Yes. When I am dieting I load my calories into the evening, and typically I fast during the day. Very little hunger during the day and ravenous at night, so it's the only way I have been able to make it work for me. Also exercise raises hunger for me, but, in time that kinda settles down a bit. But if I do a heavy weights session, and I am not depressed, I will be ravenous afterwards, its just how it goes.

For fat loss, focus almost entirely on diet. The gym is more useful here as a mental compliance thing, it makes you feel like you are actively doing something. Ofc, weights also preserves muscle, and can build it (if you are new, even in a deficit), so it has long term value. I would skip cardio losing fat, until later, personally. I will make another post about generally sticking out things like diet and gym.

Quote:
It's better that way for gaining or losing weight in my experience. Easier to track macros when you're eating a lot of the same things. When your meals are prepped and you know exactly what and when you're eating it's easier to stay on track, too. It becomes more mechanical where you don't really think about being hungry or full so much. When it's time to eat you do and when it's not you don't.

I pretty well eat a lot of the same meals every day until I get tired of them. When it starts taking like 30-45 minutes to finish a meal I know it's time to switch.
Yup. Pretty much. I am so bored of stuff in wraps atm lol. But holy ****, boring, tedious food works well hah.

Quote:

Possible elbow issues are a big concern right now since I've reintroduced low bar squat plus I'm benching 4x/week. Severe elbow pain could put me out of commission a few days for both lifts. I had a squat and bench day Tuesday and I took 800mg of Ibuprofen beforehand and it felt okay. Did feel it a little at work yesterday, but not too bad. Hip stuff worries me as well with doing low bar squat plus sumo deadlift. Oh well, just need to make it a little over five more weeks intact and I've got a good shot at my goal.

Anyway, glad you're still at it. I was wondering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fingers crossed it all holds up for ya to reach your goals

Yup, am still carrying on. My recent weight loss has been breakup fuelled, and i have def been overdoing it. I felt that insane "gym fatigue" today (didnt want to be there). I could only do 5 reps on a weight i could do 11 on the other day on the bench, and just felt like ****. Fasting, sleep loss and too much walking. Am refeeding today, will eat during the day tomorrow and maybe have a nice light dicking about doing whatever day in the gym on Saturday. Would like to extend the super diet phase longer, but my low protein amount has be a bit concerned so maybe time to actually stop being an idiot and do something mroe sustainable lol .

post #619 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:44 PM
I am average!

72.5kg (159.83514 pounds)

post #620 of 626 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Tired

A little something re "motivation", and applies to making sustained long term habits. Applies to gym, diet, but also anything.

So the capacity to do something long term is usualy described as being motivated to do something, but motivation is only one small aspect.

Consider the following:

Inspiration
Motivation
Willpower
Habit
Enjoyment

Each of these is like a wave, it spikes up and then flattens. Inspiration rises sharply, then falls sharply, lasting a brief time. Motivation a little longer, but less steep. Willpower is kinda different, but is a finite resource, you cant keep thrashing away at it and rely on it too much. Habit is shallower, but basically doesn't rise or fall, and enjoyment is a very long wave, but quite steep.

Essentially these waves kinda overlap. You may be able to spike your inspiration, and have moments of motivation, and then fill in the gaps with willpower, when those things aren't there any more. But the key to long term compliance is habit. So you use inspiration, motivation and willpower to do something for long enough to develop habits. Once those take hold you don't need much willpower to force yourself.

If you are lucky, you end up enjoying it, which basically blows everything out of the water.

Habit etc, are like trying to climb up a hill. You can force your way up, over and over using inspiration, motivation and willpower, but when you have a habit, you just built a travelator up there. Sometimes it breaks and you have to repair it with willpower, but yeh. Enjoyment is like a travelator which serves heroin and biscuits.

So, the answer to the earlier poster, re diet, establish habits and patterns. the same goes for the gym, and this also means doing diets and gym efforts that you can reasonably continue and turn into habits. If you just thrash motivation and willpower, it will collapse.

This also may be of benefit to those who think that to do somehting long term you need motivation before you do. You don't. Motivation is fleeting. Enough willpower, inspiration and habit forming is the way forward.

Hope this helps someone.

I didn't invent this, heard it somewhere else, but I loved it.