long distance running - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

long distance running

Anyone here a long distance runner? Last year I successfully trained for a half marathon but didn't end up running the race (anxiety: I couldn't get any sleep the night before). I'm going to give it another go this year, and within a two or three years I'd like to try a full marathon. I was a distance runner in high school but didn't run with any regularity for years afterward; it was only last year that I picked it up again, and remembered how much I loved it. Endurance is one of the few athletic skills I have: I lack strength, I like speed, I lack agility, I lack flexibility, etc. etc. etc. But I can run far and I can run for a long time.

I think this is a really positive thing for me for all sorts of reasons. The challenge is to stay motivated and to stick with it. Anyone have any good success/failure stories regarding distance running? Anyone run a marathon (full or half)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 06:36 PM
In the doghouse

Yes, you are not alone. I love distance running!!!!! Although I haven't gone since last summer. I have a hard time getting motivated to run outdoors during these loooong Wisconsin winters.

However, I'm determined to get back into it. I started out today by actually getting on the tread mill and going for 15 minutes. Although it's not the same as running outdoors...I see it as a good way to start getting back into shape.

I've never run a marathon, but i've done at least 15 5k's in my time as a runner. I normally go between 5 and 10 miles for my average workout. Once, I did one of those runs/walks for charity in which you get sponsors and run/walk for two hours. I ended up doing 20 miles that night. I don't think I was able to walk for the next 3 days.

For me, running is the best anti-depressant I can possibly get my hands on. It's alot like cocaine without the side effects.

Matt

"I know that human beings & fish can co-exist peacefully."

-George W. Bush

"
These are real bad times, bro. Islam is cracking up. We got women talking back. We got people playing stringed instruments. It's the end of days! "

-Azzam al-Britani

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliBaba
I have a hard time getting motivated to run outdoors during these loooong Wisconsin winters.

For me, running is the best anti-depressant I can possibly get my hands on. It's alot like cocaine without the side effects.
I live in the northeast, and I don't run during the winter, either. I'll go on long walks when it's cold, but I don't like running when it's cold. So it's a seasonal activity for me.

And you're absolutely right about running as an anti-depressant.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page