How do you feel after drinking coffee? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How do you feel after drinking coffee?

Any coffee drinkers here? How does coffee affect your anxiety? Do you feel sometimes it makes it much worse, but sometimes actually makes you more confident?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:31 AM
gas guzzling feline

Language: English
My Mood: Amazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCheshire View Post
Any coffee drinkers here? How does coffee affect your anxiety? Do you feel sometimes it makes it much worse, but sometimes actually makes you more confident?
I am okay with a cup or two. It makes me feel energetic I guess. more than that tho, and I get paranoid and super nervous.

"Those who scale the pinnacles of glory have the furthest to plunge into the abyss." --Melothrucius Lux, Warhammer 40k, Codex: Chaos Space Marines (8th Edition), pg. 12
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:34 AM
Tired

Language: English
Pretty much yeh. It does both at the same time, in totally inconsistent and varying degrees. It boosts my mood though pretty much consistently.

I am still trying to figure out exactly why energy drinks do this more than regular coffee (or caffeine pills). There basically isn't anything significantly active in energy drinks other than caffeine, but they are much more effective. Afaik the amount of caffeine isn't even that much.

I remember reading a really old post on here from some of the old school posters talking about how AvPD responds better to stimulants and SA responds better to calming substances. Not sure if there is anything in that, but if I take a benzo, or alcohol I don't become any more socially brave, I just feel anxiety less, and feeling anxiety isn't that big a deal for me (its the learned "don't engage its dangerous" kind of thoughts / feelings I get).

Caffeine, seems to help this to some small degree.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
(its the learned "don't engage its dangerous" kind of thoughts / feelings I get).

Caffeine, seems to help this to some small degree.
Hmm good post. Yes that's exactly how coffee helps me too. But it makes other things so much worse. I'm wondering if I should abstain from it completely. Just thinking about drinking it gives me a boost. Some say, have 1 cup of coffee. Yummy, if I can do that, then... well I can. Maybe I should try that, just 1 cup and see what happens. I'm going to do it. Be right back.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:59 AM
Oh jeez... okay.

My Mood: Paranoid
When I was going my Lexapro withdrawal, drinking coffee made my symptoms worse, so I ditched the stuff back in December and have;t been back to it since. I drink tea now.

Hello
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:14 AM
SAS Member

It always makes me feel better, even less anxious, because I'm more aware of my surroundings.

Ma 'alena
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!

It's honestly a part of my morning ritual. Most nights I can mostly sleep but sunday nights are the worst for me (I get like 3 hours of sleep and not for lack of trying) but coffee in the AM along with breakfast and the daily vitamine seem to make me functional lol. Green tea with honey has a similar effect but yeah...

Also I brew my own coffee; a lot of people go to coffee shops and I just want to smack them and say "Dude... get a coffee maker and thermos! It's way more affordable in the long term!"
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:34 PM
womfn

I'm not sure if it wakes me up but it sure tastes good. I think cold coffee wakes me up more. Like a frappe.
But I still really enjoy drinking my hot coffee in the morning or even during the day. I need to get decaf so all the caffeine doesn't give me anxiety. Which does happen, unfortunately.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:39 PM
SAS Member

Not a regular coffee drinker; more of a tea person, though, most of what I drink is water tbh. As for tea, I find that for myself, it has a kind of relaxing effect even though it has caffeine or whatever.

When I did try a cup of coffee (only a cup since I don't like the stuff very much), I think it gave me slightly more of a "oomph", but it's better accomplished when I eat a lot of carbs (snackbars, cookies, etc). But that's not very good either.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:22 PM
SAS Member

I feel very bad if it has too much sugar in it. I feel very bad depending on how strong or weak it is or just built up tolerance. Ugh I hate it, it's like watching pron out of habit! I feel slightly better about myself if I drink caffeinated tea. Ahh tea with honey and lemons.

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 PM
CaptainQuirk

My Mood: Mellow
A cup or two and I feel pretty good. After that, I get the jitters and feel nervous. I always seem to eventually push the envelope to three or four cups though.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:39 PM
Game Designer

Language: English, Spanish
Like my day has officially started

Cured of SA
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 05:51 AM
SAS Member

I find that while it gives me energy, it's a very anxious adrenal kind of energy, not smooth at all unless I'm on an antidepressant, zoloft seems to increase my tolerance to caffeine and negate most of its negatives for me. As a student I drank coffee's and energy drinks often, now one teaspoon of instant lasts me all day because its so rare that I drink it.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:06 AM
SAS Member

My all stress released after drinking coffee, its work as a stress releaser.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:00 AM
SAS Member

I had to quit coffee, it worsened my panic attacks and physical symptoms. Coffee has great benefits, but if you are stressed and have panic attacks like me, it just triggers adrenaline and you get the "flight or fight". And the crashes were horrible afterwards.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:14 AM
In Liquidation

I found out drinking coffee, especially strong coffee when I'm around unpleasant people, it actually makes me more agitated and quick tempered. So it sucks more when I am sleep deprived and already grump when unpleasant people are around.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:17 PM
Post Rating: Positive

Language: English, Spanish
terrible
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:43 PM
bipolar

I don't feel anything - but I sometimes like the taste of it.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:42 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Perks me up. Can also have calming effect. I love it.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:39 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, C, C#, BASIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCheshire View Post
For me, caffeine just makes me more productive, but not more confident.

I need a really small amount. I'm pretty sensitive to the stuff. I don't drink coffee very often, but when I do, it's always a small amount. Too much and it just makes me nervous, but a little is always good.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page