Eating when not hungry - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xemnas View Post
the same for me... and the more i feel stressed or anxiety, the more i tend to eat....
and a lot of my stress and anxiety comes from my body, which im fat... so vicious cycle much?

Yep . It's a vicious cycle alright. Carbs and fat are like quick and easy drugs to reduce stress.

Too weird to live, too rare to die
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:00 AM
SAS Member

OP, I think that a lot of people do this to an extent. I know when I am bored or upset, food (usually junk food) or alcohol are two things I often turn to... and I definitely often overindulge.

On the other hand... severe anxiety/worry makes me lose my appetite completely. I went through this recently when my anxiety was through the roof. I had to literally force myself to eat, sometimes nearly feeling sick just trying to eat a fairly small meal. Basically I lost all interest in food (and I love to eat). I know someone who's father is dying, and he is dealing with that as well as other things worrying him and stressing him out, and he said he can barely eat at all and his stomach is screwed up. Crazy how much emotions can impact the body.

Through oblivion I charge
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
OP, I think that a lot of people do this to an extent. I know when I am bored or upset, food (usually junk food) or alcohol are two things I often turn to... and I definitely often overindulge.

On the other hand... severe anxiety/worry makes me lose my appetite completely. I went through this recently when my anxiety was through the roof. I had to literally force myself to eat, sometimes nearly feeling sick just trying to eat a fairly small meal. Basically I lost all interest in food (and I love to eat). I know someone who's father is dying, and he is dealing with that as well as other things worrying him and stressing him out, and he said he can barely eat at all and his stomach is screwed up. Crazy how much emotions can impact the body.

It is crazy how badly our mood can effect us, leading to way shortened lives in many cases. Sorry to hear that the anxiety is that bad for you. Coffee is another overindulgence that people can abuse when stressed. Can lead to very bad stomach pains.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:04 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfan69 View Post
It is crazy how badly our mood can effect us, leading to way shortened lives in many cases. Sorry to hear that the anxiety is that bad for you. Coffee is another overindulgence that people can abuse when stressed. Can lead to very bad stomach pains.
Coffee is something that I am pretty much addicted to (probably drink a bit too much in fact) but it has given me scary physical effects before. When I was 19 I had developed agoraphobia and really bad panic attacks. During that time, drinking coffee could bring on a full-blown panic attack... which really sucked. I had to stop drinking it completely (didn't for an entire year).

Then one night last year, after drinking coffee (and just sitting on the couch) my heart rate skyrocketed super high and I felt sick. (I'm not sure why this happened - maybe because I hadn't drank any coffee in several days due to severe insomnia. I basically couldn't sleep at all and didn't want to make it worse with caffeine). Then once I drank some.... BOOM. Heart rate went crazy. It freaked me the hell out, and I ended up going to the ER cause my heart was going so fast I felt like I was about to have a fatal arrhythmia. After they ran tests, it turned out to just be benign tachycardia... so that was pretty embarrassing going to the ER over nothing (plus the EMTs that took me there assumed that I took drugs, which was kind of insulting).

Through oblivion I charge
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:54 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
I do this sometimes (often) but I have an array of things that are pretty low calorie that I can eat in a snack scenario and so it isn't quite so bad. I have been gaining a little of the weight I lost back but just a few pounds so I'm not too worried about it. I lost 50 pounds so 5 pounds is no big deal.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:59 AM
SAS Member

For coffee drinkers, here is something I have found that counters the sleep disturbances. If I have been drinking a lot of coffee, I will take a couple of valarian before bed and sleep very well. Don't take melatonin because melatonin will give you nightmares and assorted other bizarre dreams. Everyone who takes it says it does and when I took it I had the same issue. Just very unpleasant dreams. That's the opposite of quality sleep in my book.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:38 AM
SAS Member

carbohydrates seem to make the effects of coffee stronger.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Coffee is something that I am pretty much addicted to (probably drink a bit too much in fact) but it has given me scary physical effects before. When I was 19 I had developed agoraphobia and really bad panic attacks. During that time, drinking coffee could bring on a full-blown panic attack... which really sucked. I had to stop drinking it completely (didn't for an entire year).

Then one night last year, after drinking coffee (and just sitting on the couch) my heart rate skyrocketed super high and I felt sick. (I'm not sure why this happened - maybe because I hadn't drank any coffee in several days due to severe insomnia. I basically couldn't sleep at all and didn't want to make it worse with caffeine). Then once I drank some.... BOOM. Heart rate went crazy. It freaked me the hell out, and I ended up going to the ER cause my heart was going so fast I felt like I was about to have a fatal arrhythmia. After they ran tests, it turned out to just be benign tachycardia... so that was pretty embarrassing going to the ER over nothing (plus the EMTs that took me there assumed that I took drugs, which was kind of insulting).

Better to be safe than sorry though. Thankfully you didn't have permanent damage. I got in the habit of overdosing on coffee to the point where I felt like a heart attack was coming a couple times. Had uncontrollable shaking and felt terrible. I tried exercising it off and drinking a lot of water which probably wasn't the best treatment. One way they treat elevated heart rate in the ER is to push drugs quickly in your system which stops the heart for a few seconds to reset the rhythm. Sounds like a nightmare to experience.

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I do this sometimes (often) but I have an array of things that are pretty low calorie that I can eat in a snack scenario and so it isn't quite so bad. I have been gaining a little of the weight I lost back but just a few pounds so I'm not too worried about it. I lost 50 pounds so 5 pounds is no big deal.

If that was healthy weight loss then congrats!

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:59 PM
🐱🐾😄

Yes and masturbating when not horny.
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:38 AM
SAS Member

i used to what meds ar eu on?
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanJL9981 View Post
i used to what meds ar eu on?

Celexa and abilify.

post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:30 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Stressed
I do this. Meds play a big part in it and I also eat when I'm anxious even though I'm not hungry. Comfort eating I guess.

"There's a time for fighting, and a time for singing... Now, you teach us to sing."
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:32 AM
SAS Member

I can't really say that I ever eat when I'm not hungry because I always feel hungry. I would say (rather) that I often eat when I'm not famished. That usually does not do good things for the way I feel following the said eating when not famished.

I also tend to feel more hungry than just hungry most of the time. I can eat what should be a satisfying meal but still feel like I didn't eat an hour later. Unless it's a high carb meal, in which case, I feel like I have diabetes for the next couple of hours (I actually do have diabetes but eating only makes me feel bad if I eat too many carbs).

So, if I eat too many carbs, I feel really terrible after. If I eat low carb, I feel super hungry all the time. If I eat just enough low carb to fill me up for 20 minutes, I will still be hungry in 20 minutes. And this will repeat itself over and over all day. I can only just eat small portions very often. I can't do this without exercising or I will gain a lot of weight. When I exercise, it makes me feel more hungry faster still.

So I eat, exercise, feel hungry, eat again, feel hungry again, exercise some more, feel hungry, eat a handful of walnuts or a spoon of Greek yogurt. on and on. Occasionally, I give in and eat like a portion of a candy bar or something and then it feel like absolute hell for 3 hours. Can't win. I can't eat, say, a banana or an apple, for example. Too much sugar. A normal person can enjoy a banana as a "healthy" snack to hold them over. If I eat a banana, I will feel like I ate a candy bar. Which means I will feel like hell. If I eat a small bag of chips, I will also feel like I ate a candy bar or a banana. If I eat a can of tuna with some light Miracle Whip and some relish, that will fill me up for a couple of hours without making me feel like I ate a candy bar. But how many cans of tuna can you eat in a day? Well, you're not supposed to eat tuna every day at all because of the mercury thing. You're supposed to eat it like 4 times a week, max

So I can eat tofu or something like that but tofu still has enough rapid carbs to make the diabetes feeling happen. If I take metformin and eat tofu, it helps but my diabetes is not bad enough to where I actually need metformin to eat small amounts. So if I take a metformin and eat a low carb meal, it will actually cause me to have a low blood sugar episode. Especially if I exercise within the next 3-4 hours. Which I have to exercise eventually or I will gain weight. Which will not be good for my diabetes because being overweight and diabetic is even worse than being diabetic in the first place.

------------

post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:14 AM
SAS Member

I kinda read somewhere that another cause for a person to eat when not hungry is boredom. Are you sure you're not bored?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page