Eating when not hungry - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Eating when not hungry

This is a problem for me since I am quite a bit overweight and eating tasty food is relief from stress. I tend to eat right until bed time. Many snacks and large portion meals throughout the day. This has led to indigestion and stomach cramps. But it is very difficult to stay in the habit of intermittent fasting or simply eating right. Theres a nagging voice tempting me to make something savory even I don't feel hunger or when I shouldn't be eating anything.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:24 PM
SAS Member

No. I have a breakfast usually cereals then at work ill eat an apple and drink a coffee then nothing until lunch. In the afternoon i sometimes eat a banana but not always. When i get home at five thirty i might have a snack like crisps and nuts or bread and around eight i have dinner. I don't see how people can eat continuously and have never developed that habit myself.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy0128 View Post
No. I have a breakfast usually cereals then at work ill eat an apple and drink a coffee then nothing until lunch. In the afternoon i sometimes eat a banana but not always. When i get home at five thirty i might have a snack like crisps and nuts or bread and around eight i have dinner. I don't see how people can eat continuously and have never developed that habit myself.

Yeah its a very bad habit. Overeating is up there with smoking and sitting too much. After a while it becomes natural to just eat something, whether it's during mealtime or snacking throughout the day. It becomes part of the routine, then you become heavy.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
Yeah I eat a lot when I'm bored. I just can't control myself lol
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks View Post

I should probably cut back on the green medicinals, that stuff makes you hungry also
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:22 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfan69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks View Post

I should probably cut back on the green medicinals, that stuff makes you hungry also [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SAS_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
lol yeah quit the devils lettuce for some actual lettuce haha.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:37 PM
your dads girlfriend

My Mood: Sleepy
Yes, I have this habit so badly. I just eat to eat but lately Iíve been forcing myself not to eat after dinner and if I do it needs to be a small healthy snack and swap processed sugars for natural sugars like an apple. I make myself stop eating by the usual time Iím supposed to be sleeping, which is typically around 10.

pretty when I cry
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 10:35 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

changing habits

from hobgoblin

bored of all saucepan, oil!!! rice

oven life!
pies
pizza
fish

anything steamfree

sick of stirring...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyandRage View Post
Yes, I have this habit so badly. I just eat to eat but lately Iíve been forcing myself not to eat after dinner and if I do it needs to be a small healthy snack and swap processed sugars for natural sugars like an apple. I make myself stop eating by the usual time Iím supposed to be sleeping, which is typically around 10.

Apples are pretty tasty and fruit is often more fulfilling than junk food. Junk food is hard to pass by with the colorful packaging and convenience.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
It's not very good for you teeth either. People seem to think food high in sugar rots teeth. It's more the amount of time your teeth are exposed to food and anything with carbs will rot your teeth.

If you scarf 20 cookies in 5 minutes, your teeth won't rot very much. But if you scarf down those cookies little by little over 4 hours- big time rotting. I suppose sipping soda or fruit juice over long periods is more common.

You're right, I had to get a few fillings last year, probably from letting the carbs linger and slowly ruin my teeth.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy666 View Post
from hobgoblin

bored of all saucepan, oil!!! rice

oven life!
pies
pizza
fish

anything steamfree

sick of stirring...

Adding too much oil when cooking does make things more addictive. Like when cooking rice I add a few scoops of butter which makes it nice and buttery and perfect. And pizza puts on the pounds, one typical slice calorie-wise is a full meal. So scarfing down several slices is overkill. Hard to say no though.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:19 PM
thatsher :)

I used to eat anything tasty whenever I felt bored or stressed. Sugar is pretty addicting. I just replaced all the unhealthy stuff with food that I cooked myself at home. You need to learn how to cook delicious food. You can also eat lots of vegetables and drink tons of water. My health was my key motivation because your body will show the consequences as you get older.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 AM
experimental sincerity

I do emotional eating. If I'm anxious about something, I'll snack and snack. It's usually reasonably healthy snacking, but still. You can have too many bananas. And then some prunes. And then an avocado on bread. And so it goes. I've tried substituting it with exercise (feeling anxious? go do some squats) and it does sort of work.

Off topic, but is that userpic from Naked Lunch? It's nice.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsher View Post
I used to eat anything tasty whenever I felt bored or stressed. Sugar is pretty addicting. I just replaced all the unhealthy stuff with food that I cooked myself at home. You need to learn how to cook delicious food. You can also eat lots of vegetables and drink tons of water. My health was my key motivation because your body will show the consequences as you get older.

Yeah the boredom can make you turn to food. Another thing is medications can make you hunger, like the ones I'm on are well known for weight gain. Veggies and water are a smart way of filling up for sure.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
I do emotional eating. If I'm anxious about something, I'll snack and snack. It's usually reasonably healthy snacking, but still. You can have too many bananas. And then some prunes. And then an avocado on bread. And so it goes. I've tried substituting it with exercise (feeling anxious? go do some squats) and it does sort of work.

Off topic, but is that userpic from Naked Lunch? It's nice.

It's from the movie Space Balls lol

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:22 PM
Tired

Language: English
Nighttime eating disorder and binge eating disorder. I have both, and it sucks because its a ridiculous struggle to lose weight. I basically have to fast the entire day to even have a chance in hell.

I did a little research on this, but have decided I will use this topic for my univ MSc Health and Wellbeing podcast assessment. Then I can research the **** out of it and do a really thorough lit review to try to figure out wtf is going on.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:50 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
It's from the movie Space Balls lol
Oh yes, of course! When I was in high school, a stray dog used to come to a spot where we'd smoke. We named him Yogurt Barf in homage to Spaceballs.

(I can totally see the Naked Lunch connection too, though)

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:39 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
This is a problem for me since I am quite a bit overweight and eating tasty food is relief from stress. I tend to eat right until bed time. Many snacks and large portion meals throughout the day. This has led to indigestion and stomach cramps. But it is very difficult to stay in the habit of intermittent fasting or simply eating right. Theres a nagging voice tempting me to make something savory even I don't feel hunger or when I shouldn't be eating anything.

Does anyone else have this problem?
the same for me... and the more i feel stressed or anxiety, the more i tend to eat....
and a lot of my stress and anxiety comes from my body, which im fat... so vicious cycle much?

I cannot Feel ... sorrow, no matter what misery befalls the world,
no matter what you think, what you feel or how you exist...

-Xemnas-
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
Nighttime eating disorder and binge eating disorder. I have both, and it sucks because its a ridiculous struggle to lose weight. I basically have to fast the entire day to even have a chance in hell.

I did a little research on this, but have decided I will use this topic for my univ MSc Health and Wellbeing podcast assessment. Then I can research the **** out of it and do a really thorough lit review to try to figure out wtf is going on.

Never knew there was a term for it lol. Definitely have a binge eating problem. Often eat till stuffed. I think it's also a culture issue, at least in the states. Where you're expected to clean your plate, stuff yourself on holidays and bigger is better when it comes to meals.
When I am thin I have to maintain the weight through starvation, the hunger pangs don't go away.

Stephen Colbert
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
Oh yes, of course! When I was in high school, a stray dog used to come to a spot where we'd smoke. We named him Yogurt Barf in homage to Spaceballs.

(I can totally see the Naked Lunch connection too, though)

Haha. Haven't heard of Naked Lunch till now. Have to watch it because it looks weird.

Stephen Colbert

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page