Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Eating when not hungry (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f11/eating-when-not-hungry-2220655/)

Musicfan 02-22-2019 04:46 PM

Eating when not hungry

This is a problem for me since I am quite a bit overweight and eating tasty food is relief from stress. I tend to eat right until bed time. Many snacks and large portion meals throughout the day. This has led to indigestion and stomach cramps. But it is very difficult to stay in the habit of intermittent fasting or simply eating right. Theres a nagging voice tempting me to make something savory even I don't feel hunger or when I shouldn't be eating anything.

Does anyone else have this problem?

andy0128 02-23-2019 12:24 PM

No. I have a breakfast usually cereals then at work ill eat an apple and drink a coffee then nothing until lunch. In the afternoon i sometimes eat a banana but not always. When i get home at five thirty i might have a snack like crisps and nuts or bread and around eight i have dinner. I don't see how people can eat continuously and have never developed that habit myself.

Musicfan 02-23-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy0128 (Post 1093634475)
No. I have a breakfast usually cereals then at work ill eat an apple and drink a coffee then nothing until lunch. In the afternoon i sometimes eat a banana but not always. When i get home at five thirty i might have a snack like crisps and nuts or bread and around eight i have dinner. I don't see how people can eat continuously and have never developed that habit myself.

Yeah its a very bad habit. Overeating is up there with smoking and sitting too much. After a while it becomes natural to just eat something, whether it's during mealtime or snacking throughout the day. It becomes part of the routine, then you become heavy.

3stacks 02-23-2019 02:06 PM

Yeah I eat a lot when I'm bored. I just can't control myself lol

Musicfan 02-23-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stacks (Post 1093634531)

I should probably cut back on the green medicinals, that stuff makes you hungry also >:)

3stacks 02-23-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicfan69 (Post 1093634683)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stacks (Post 1093634531)

I should probably cut back on the green medicinals, that stuff makes you hungry also [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SAS_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]

lol yeah quit the devils lettuce for some actual lettuce haha.

BeautyandRage 02-23-2019 08:37 PM

Yes, I have this habit so badly. I just eat to eat but lately Iíve been forcing myself not to eat after dinner and if I do it needs to be a small healthy snack and swap processed sugars for natural sugars like an apple. I make myself stop eating by the usual time Iím supposed to be sleeping, which is typically around 10.

twitchy666 02-23-2019 10:35 PM

changing habits

from hobgoblin

bored of all saucepan, oil!!! rice

oven life!
pies
pizza
fish

anything steamfree

sick of stirring...

Musicfan 02-24-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeautyandRage (Post 1093634869)
Yes, I have this habit so badly. I just eat to eat but lately Iíve been forcing myself not to eat after dinner and if I do it needs to be a small healthy snack and swap processed sugars for natural sugars like an apple. I make myself stop eating by the usual time Iím supposed to be sleeping, which is typically around 10.

Apples are pretty tasty and fruit is often more fulfilling than junk food. Junk food is hard to pass by with the colorful packaging and convenience.

Musicfan 02-24-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komorikun (Post 1093634897)
It's not very good for you teeth either. People seem to think food high in sugar rots teeth. It's more the amount of time your teeth are exposed to food and anything with carbs will rot your teeth.

If you scarf 20 cookies in 5 minutes, your teeth won't rot very much. But if you scarf down those cookies little by little over 4 hours- big time rotting. I suppose sipping soda or fruit juice over long periods is more common.

You're right, I had to get a few fillings last year, probably from letting the carbs linger and slowly ruin my teeth.

Musicfan 02-24-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchy666 (Post 1093634927)
from hobgoblin

bored of all saucepan, oil!!! rice

oven life!
pies
pizza
fish

anything steamfree

sick of stirring...

Adding too much oil when cooking does make things more addictive. Like when cooking rice I add a few scoops of butter which makes it nice and buttery and perfect. And pizza puts on the pounds, one typical slice calorie-wise is a full meal. So scarfing down several slices is overkill. Hard to say no though.

thatsher 03-05-2019 01:19 PM

I used to eat anything tasty whenever I felt bored or stressed. Sugar is pretty addicting. I just replaced all the unhealthy stuff with food that I cooked myself at home. You need to learn how to cook delicious food. You can also eat lots of vegetables and drink tons of water. My health was my key motivation because your body will show the consequences as you get older.

rabidfoxes 03-22-2019 07:46 AM

I do emotional eating. If I'm anxious about something, I'll snack and snack. It's usually reasonably healthy snacking, but still. You can have too many bananas. And then some prunes. And then an avocado on bread. And so it goes. I've tried substituting it with exercise (feeling anxious? go do some squats) and it does sort of work.

Off topic, but is that userpic from Naked Lunch? It's nice.

Musicfan 03-22-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsher (Post 1093644251)
I used to eat anything tasty whenever I felt bored or stressed. Sugar is pretty addicting. I just replaced all the unhealthy stuff with food that I cooked myself at home. You need to learn how to cook delicious food. You can also eat lots of vegetables and drink tons of water. My health was my key motivation because your body will show the consequences as you get older.

Yeah the boredom can make you turn to food. Another thing is medications can make you hunger, like the ones I'm on are well known for weight gain. Veggies and water are a smart way of filling up for sure.

Musicfan 03-22-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidfoxes (Post 1093661819)
I do emotional eating. If I'm anxious about something, I'll snack and snack. It's usually reasonably healthy snacking, but still. You can have too many bananas. And then some prunes. And then an avocado on bread. And so it goes. I've tried substituting it with exercise (feeling anxious? go do some squats) and it does sort of work.

Off topic, but is that userpic from Naked Lunch? It's nice.

It's from the movie Space Balls lol

SplendidBob 03-22-2019 07:22 PM

Nighttime eating disorder and binge eating disorder. I have both, and it sucks because its a ridiculous struggle to lose weight. I basically have to fast the entire day to even have a chance in hell.

I did a little research on this, but have decided I will use this topic for my univ MSc Health and Wellbeing podcast assessment. Then I can research the **** out of it and do a really thorough lit review to try to figure out wtf is going on.

rabidfoxes 03-23-2019 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicfan69 (Post 1093662447)
It's from the movie Space Balls lol

Oh yes, of course! When I was in high school, a stray dog used to come to a spot where we'd smoke. We named him Yogurt Barf in homage to Spaceballs.

(I can totally see the Naked Lunch connection too, though)

Xemnas 03-23-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicfan69 (Post 1093633689)
This is a problem for me since I am quite a bit overweight and eating tasty food is relief from stress. I tend to eat right until bed time. Many snacks and large portion meals throughout the day. This has led to indigestion and stomach cramps. But it is very difficult to stay in the habit of intermittent fasting or simply eating right. Theres a nagging voice tempting me to make something savory even I don't feel hunger or when I shouldn't be eating anything.

Does anyone else have this problem?

the same for me... and the more i feel stressed or anxiety, the more i tend to eat....
and a lot of my stress and anxiety comes from my body, which im fat... so vicious cycle much?

Musicfan 03-23-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SplendidBob (Post 1093662493)
Nighttime eating disorder and binge eating disorder. I have both, and it sucks because its a ridiculous struggle to lose weight. I basically have to fast the entire day to even have a chance in hell.

I did a little research on this, but have decided I will use this topic for my univ MSc Health and Wellbeing podcast assessment. Then I can research the **** out of it and do a really thorough lit review to try to figure out wtf is going on.

Never knew there was a term for it lol. Definitely have a binge eating problem. Often eat till stuffed. I think it's also a culture issue, at least in the states. Where you're expected to clean your plate, stuff yourself on holidays and bigger is better when it comes to meals.
When I am thin I have to maintain the weight through starvation, the hunger pangs don't go away.

Musicfan 03-23-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidfoxes (Post 1093662785)
Oh yes, of course! When I was in high school, a stray dog used to come to a spot where we'd smoke. We named him Yogurt Barf in homage to Spaceballs.

(I can totally see the Naked Lunch connection too, though)

Haha. Haven't heard of Naked Lunch till now. Have to watch it because it looks weird.