Permanently Banned

Does this motivate you?

to exercise

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I all ready do, but I don't seem to put on weight at all regardless for some reason.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Rising Above

My Mood: Mellow
My main motivation is my health. My dad has exercised and eaten heathy since he was in his twenties. He's now in his fifties and doesn't have any health problems. My mom never took care of herself and now she's in her fifties and takes ten or more pills a day, doesn't have any energy, high blood pressure and cholesterol, overweight, etc. I've seen what can happen if you don't take care of yourself and what can happen if you do. So I exercise and eat healthy so when I get old, I'll still have energy and strength.

But to answer your question, no, not really. This particular case doesn't motivate me personally. When I see unusually obese people, I don't automatically think, "I must get on the treadmill now!" I guess it's because I can't fathom ever being that large. I have high metabolism, so I don't gain weight easily and maybe that's a reason why too. Anyway, I just fear living my last years in terrible health and that gets my butt off the couch and in the gym.

You cannot make yourself feel something you do not feel, but you can make yourself do right in spite of your feelings. - Pearl S. Buck

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 01:21 PM
SAS Member

I think I am more impressed by the wife of his. To put through so much and stick, well .. for that long.. with him. I am not sure if I am capable of going through what she does.

I exist.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Permanently Banned

Everything motivates me to exercise, except for the fact that exercise sometimes feels like panic to me.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Pastry Case

I just watched the video ..... it's very sad. You wonder how someone can let themselves get to such a size, but then anyone who's tried to lose weight knows that it is SO easy to put weight on and SO hard to get it off again. Perhaps if he had lost weight when he was about 10 it would have been easier to keep it off.

@ aidenmoore: Of course it's easy to say, when I haven't been in that situation, but I didn't admire his wife. She had complete control over his diet and yet she kept giving him too much of the wrong foods. Okay, so he yelled at her if she didn't give him what he wanted ...... what's he going to do? He had no choice but to eat what he was given or not eat at all. She could have taken him small, healthy meals and then just walked out and shut the door on his complaints. You'd think he'd be nicer to her considering she was waiting on him hand and foot. That he literally couldn't do anything without her help.

Did the video motivate me to exercise? no!

The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
Richard Bach

Life is only, by definition, a use of time. That's all it was ever meant to be.
Alice Thomas Ellis

Extreme sensitivity is both a blessing and a torment.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM
SAS Member

@Serephina: I guess it is easier to put blame rather than admitting it. The way I see it is that, no matter how much help his wife gives, the changes ultimately from him. She can try help all she wants but if he isn't determine to lose weight, it won't matter. From the video, everytime someone suggesting to try to lose few weight before the surgery or moving to the rehab center or some kind, he always end up complaining. But I still impressed caused she clearly can leave sooner but she stayed.

I exist.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Spectacular Member

That doesn't motivate me because I cannot relate to it, I don't see that as a possibility so therefore I don't fear becoming that much overweight. I have other motivations regarding health though.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Claimed.

I exercise because I want to be fit, but watching people like this isn't where that motivation comes from. I guess in a way it's related, but I just want to be healthy so that I can live an enjoyable life and not have pain or chronic diseases when I get older. If I did get like this, yeah, that wouldn't be possible, but it's too hard to relate. It's definitely sad that people get like this though. Usually when people get to be morbidly obese it's because there's a lot of psychological problems, like depression, that underlie it. They eat to deal with what they're going through and use it to cope, and this is what happens. Maybe not in all cases, but a lot of them. I don't have time to watch this whole thing but I skimmed through it.

Here's a different link though because the one you posted was removed

Don't you ever feel like you're less than ****in' perfect.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 PM
Permanently Banned

To me it was as motivational as a Malcom X speech in youtube
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 AM
Bella Confusione

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenmoore View Post
I think I am more impressed by the wife of his. To put through so much and stick, well .. for that long.. with him. I am not sure if I am capable of going through what she does.
I agree because I know I could not do it. Also I think why they waited till that point if he is addicted to food? Why they havent done something earlier.. I feel bad for those ppl but I honestly dont have much sympathy.. That maybe sounds bad for some but come on I do not wait till the very last to get help.

Also ppl like this are no motivation for me. I exercise because I want to feel good, look good. My motivation is the kick I get when Im in the gym. Am I better than yesterday, can I do more than the day before.
Also it gives me something to believe in, believing in myself!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Pastry Case

Sorry to be crude BUT, surely when you got to a point where you were having difficulty wiping your own a** that would be the point when you would do anything to lose weight? I mean, at what point did the guy in the video have to ask someone for the first time? And who did he ask?

The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
Richard Bach

Alice Thomas Ellis

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM
SAS Member

Does this motivate you?

99,143,839 Views...

Anyways MobiusX, your video is gone. Multiple Third Party copyright infringements, terminated the channel.

Is that profit motive, or the new democratic anti-hate war machine?

Things don't go mysteriously missing at opportune moments with no reason or rhyme.

I am making no accusation of hate propaganda, btw. Others see fear as hate probably, though.

ASMR Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (works wonders with my anxiety)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Misanthropic

I would if I could but screw people who think every fat person needs someone to wipe their ***. You all push it to the extreme cases. I am fat but to hell with it. I am not sub human I just have extra weight stop being a ****.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Pastry Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
I would if I could but screw people who think every fat person needs someone to wipe their ***. You all push it to the extreme cases. I am fat but to hell with it. I am not sub human I just have extra weight stop being a ****.
Well there's fat and there's FAT, isn't there? Of course not everyone who is over the recommended weight for their height needs someone to clean them. I'm not sure why you overreacted to my comment; I was commenting on the guy in the video in the OP who was something like 60 stone(I think) which is very extreme. Where did the 'sub human' comment come from?

I love IZ Israel ..... he had a lovely voice. R.I.P.

Richard Bach

Alice Thomas Ellis

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKappa View Post
Does this motivate you?

99,143,839 Views...

Anyways MobiusX, your video is gone. Multiple Third Party copyright infringements, terminated the channel.

Is that profit motive, or the new democratic anti-hate war machine?

Things don't go mysteriously missing at opportune moments with no reason or rhyme.

I am making no accusation of hate propaganda, btw. Others see fear as hate probably, though.

the other guy was fatter, his highest weight was around 900lbs
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Pastry Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKappa View Post
Does this motivate you?

99,143,839 Views...
Meant to say: this guy inspires me

Richard Bach

Alice Thomas Ellis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page