Caffeine - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Caffeine

I quit nicotine recently.
I quit alcohol recently.

But trying to quit caffeine was a bad idea.
It's amazing how much clarity, stability and joy a cup of coffee a day gives me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 04:06 AM
subtastic

Congratulations on quitting nicotine and alcohol!

Quitting caffeine isn't right for me, either. I cut back quite a bit, but I still enjoy a cup of tea or a cup of coffee in the morning.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Call Me !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLT View Post
It's amazing how much clarity, stability and joy a cup of coffee a day gives me.
Ditto, congrats on the first two too.

Keep it simple

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Permanently Banned

I hate coffee, so if I need to stay alert I bought a pack of caffeine pills when I was at Walmart earlier today. 90 of them for under $3. Can't imagine why folks pay obscene prices for Red Bull that is mainly just a load of caffeine that could be had for 3 cents for 200 mg.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
Iif I need to stay alert I bought a pack of caffeine pills when I was at Walmart earlier today. 90 of them for under $3.
Whoa, that's a great idea. I'm gonna have to get some of those. I love coffee, but sometimes the one in the morning isn't enough.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM

Congrats for quitting smoking and drinking!!

i'm addicted to caffeine pills. I take 3- 200mg tabs a day.. They actually wake my brain up and help my social anxiety quite a bit. I just hate being addicted to them. If I don't take them I feel like pure S*** the whole day..
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Starlight and moonbeams

If I have caffeine, my anxiety goes through the roof, and lately I've been experiencing tinnitus as well. I've cut it out of my diet.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 07:06 PM
SAS Member

I don't like coffee, but it's been extremely difficult for me to quit drinking Coke and Pepsi. A lot of people say soda is gross but I don't care, that sugar flavor feels like the best thing in the world and there's no other drink that can replace it.

I think the only strategy that will work is force myself to drink lots and lots of water every day, so much so that I don't even want to think about having another beverage. Repeat for 9 months.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 PM
User Requested Ban - Permanent

I've been off of caffeine for a little while now and I'm finally starting to get my focus back. I used to feel like I was getting focus and clarity from coffee or energy drinks, but I'm starting to remember the difference between a rush and natural energy. It's nice waking up in the morning and enjoying a good breakfast first thing and not needing a caffeine fix. I used to get up and drink coffee first, then I'd put off breakfast for a couple hours or skip it completely since caffeine suppresses your appetite. Turns out breakfast really is the most important meal of the day though. I think they even showed that it helps you maintain a healthy weight if you don't skip breakfast.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Explode or Implode

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintersTale View Post
If I have caffeine, my anxiety goes through the roof, and lately I've been experiencing tinnitus as well. I've cut it out of my diet.
I agree, caffeine for me is a gamble. It can either make me more outgoing or make me more flighty and nervous in social situations. I better just stick with the alcohol(lol jk!)
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:10 AM
blessed with lucky sevens

caffiene has never really done anything for me... Seems like a placebo ma'f*ker!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon7 View Post
Congrats for quitting smoking and drinking!!

i'm addicted to caffeine pills. I take 3- 200mg tabs a day.. They actually wake my brain up and help my social anxiety quite a bit. I just hate being addicted to them. If I don't take them I feel like pure S*** the whole day..
Wow, someone else addicted to caffeine pills like me. So far today I've taken 1000mg in pill form. Two before work to jazz myself up, one at lunch for a pick-me-up and I took two more after work before my workout. Been on them for I think almost 2 years now, everyday. Mmm drugs... haha
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:10 PM

I don't really like the effects of caffeine anymore and straight caffeine pills are the worst. It's the taste that I enjoy when I drink coffee or tea, yeah I supposed I could switch to decaf but it just seems wrong. Also there are things involved other than the caffeine that affect the "high" you get.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 PM
SAS Member

Caffeine and sugar dont really effect me, except in high doses (2 red bulls will do it, and once i had a huge meal with three cokes and i felt AMAZING with no anxiety, but thats another story). Anyway, all last year I used to drink a cup of coffee in the morning. Theres something really satisfying about a cup of coffee and any sort of cake or pastry. The thing was, sometimes i would skip a weekend and not have any coffee, but i wouldnt feel any withdraw symptoms even after having a cup a day for weeks before. I noticed that i seemed a little bit more nervous when i had caffeine (or maybe i just convinced myself of this) so i stopped drinking it. Just stopped. I dont see how i didnt develop and addiction, but thats just what i did.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 PM
SAS Member

Love me a cup o' joe! Only the good stuff though, you can 86 the Foldgers!

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Ghandi
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Confused

Yup, Caffeine definitely causes my anxiety to go up. After a few minutes of drinking a mug, I get about 5 minutes of clarity and 'warmness' in my body. After that though, my breathing gets shallow and I feel on edge for a couple of hours (I think it is called free floating anxiety). I still take a mug a day though — I cant seem to kick the habit.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:29 PM

Is caffeine something you should quit? I think not! I love caffeine, its essential for my current job (4am merchandiser for Costco) and will be essential once I graduate from college (I'm on my road to becoming a doctor). But check this out too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7326839.stm
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 PM

caffeine pills had me in a psych ward a long time ago, when i had one of my first panic attacks, but the energy drinks and coffee never did that, funny that.

im still not sure if caffeine is right for me, it makes me talk more, but doesnt increase or decrease my painful anxiety or mood.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 02:34 PM
SAS Member

I am really immune to caffeine, always have been. It never works. I usually just drink water and make sure I have plenty of protein and excersize. That way I will have sustained energy and not crash.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:03 PM
SAS Member

I got me some headache tablets and I'm gonna go cold turkey on caffeine this week and see what happens. I'm not drinking alcohol so I've been smashing the Cokes like all hell, it is very bad and when I drink Coke Zero I still crave the real thing not that fake sweetness. So I think cold turkey is the only way, since I don't drink coffee. I don't know if it affects my anxiety, guess I'll find out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page