Burning fat and losing wieght without running - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Burning fat and losing wieght without running

Recently I've started running to lose some wieght and fat, got in about 1-2 miles a day. About a week ago my treadmill broke down, what are someways I can exercise and burn fat inside the house. There are reasons I don't feel comfortable running outside or going to the gym, SA obviously, and I don't want to do arobics or anything my family would notice. I know I'm not leaving much options to get help on but anything would be appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Permanently Banned

re: Burning fat and losing wieght without running

buy a jump rope or a bag and some boxing gloves...you can lose weight easily with those and you don't have to go anywhere to do it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 10:45 AM
SAS Member

Well, going to a gym is the best way to lose weight b/c you have all these people around you to motivate but if you'd rather not go to one: buy one of those cardio/aerobic dvds and do them in a private place where there's nobody watching. If you can't stand your family being around and watching you, just ask them to give you at least an hour alone with the tv. Me, I just take my laptop and do my Turbo Jam for like 40 min in the basement where nobody bothers me.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 11:52 AM
SAS Member

Lift weights.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 01:07 PM
SAS Member

I use this http://yourselffitness.com. It's awesome! You can get it for PC, PS2, or Xbox. You can customize your own workout program, set goals, and focus on certain areas (upper body, lower body, cardio, weight loss, and more.) I would love to be able to go to a gym but I'd be way too anxious so this has worked out well for me.

The rage increases fast
As the memories eat me alive
God, I wish this to end
But I'm not prepared to die
No more a human being
Just a fool of anxiety
Unable to escape
The darkest insanity
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Resist

My Mood: Tired

run in place. and dont eat glue, its bad for you!

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 12:36 PM
SAS Member

Muscle burns more calories than fat so you can try lifting weights if you don't already. Make up an endurance workout (less heavy more reps) if you want to build lean muscle.

You can also try stand still running/jogging as a substitute for your treadmill exercise. Works out all the same muscles but you will probably have to run longer to burn the same # of calories.

Good luck!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 05:38 PM
SAS Member

If anybody wants to try the Yourself! Fitness "game", I found it on Rapidshare and OxyShare for download (only for PC). However it is a huge file, for Rapidshare it's 2 CDs and Oxyshare, it's 2 links but like ~700 mb each. I actually have a premium RS account if anybody wants to try it out. But no changing my password, evil people!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 06:19 PM
SAS Member

for cardio, i don't think you could do better than rope jumping.. i got one off Amazon a couple months ago and have been doing it on and off, coupled with pushups and situps.. i haven't had a constant regime to notice any weight loss, but on the days i've done it, i usually feel better both physically and mentally..

i think with a regular workout, i'd be able to lose weight in a couple of weeks/months, but i'm just not dedicated enough, even when i know i could reap the benefits.. god, i'm such a procrastinator..

i know what you mean about not wanting to be watched.. it drives me crazy when my mom just casually likes to snoop around and see what i'm doing in the mornings.. she loves to do this, it's like "yes, i'm working out, get a life *****!"..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 PM
SAS Member

weight training is the only long term solution to fat burning.

I only know that I can change everything else just stays the same- Staind

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can GET hit and keep moving forward" - rocky balboa
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:10 PM
SAS Member

Wow. No joke I have the same problem all thanks to my brother and my dad. I'm paying for my treadmill and then one day they decided to put it in the shed outside. Which is not even a proper shed it's a crappy thin sheeted metal one. So for a while I had to work out outside but somedays it got too cold or hot so I didn't really work out as much. Now I finally convinced them o bring it back inside it jammed cause of all the dust and rust caught in the motor.
So now I'm just trying to figure out how to do cardio without the treadmill.
I do weights aswell at home.
Sit-ups and press ups should work, try frog kicks aswell.

“Do not fail to do a good deed because it is small;
do not commit a bad deed because it is small”
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:18 AM
SAS Member

Main thing is just keep your body moving. You could do a rotation of things such as situps, push ups, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, lunges. Little things like that that dont need much space. 30sec-1min of each of those without rest in between would be a good workout (we used to do this for offseason baseball workouts prior to practice except we'd do them for longer. I dont recommend that just yet, as its not fun). Rest after your rotation, then do another rotation. Slowly increase your time as you build up stamina.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:08 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Asleep

i tried yourself fitness out for pc. i couldnt use it cuz I dont have an empty space in front of my monitor. its not worth the trouble to try to transmit it to the tv out in front.
whats your beef against running?

“Do. Or do not. There is no try."
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 05:51 PM
SAS Member

Shyguy,
I find it funny how you say running can get old, then you introduce walking. Sure, walking is a good exercise compared to if you usually do no type of exercise period. But, if you are trying to lose fat/weight, you need a cardio exercise that will raise your heartrate for a good period of time. Walking is NOT runnings equivalent. Walking 30 minutes a day will NOT help you cut 1-2 pounds of fat a week unless you have a huge calorie deficit, which we'll talk about later. Would be interesting if you could post a source to say so. You make a good point that diet is important. In fact, it is real important when you're trying to make good progress (let alone how it makes you feel). But wrong method. A huge calorie deficit is not the healthy way and you will "lose muscle." On average, if you are cutting weight, you should cut 500 calories from your diet. The other calories should be burned off through activity/exercise. It is one thing to actually utilize the calories (recover/repair/build muscles) rather than cut it out from the diet completely.

As for the original post. I myself have SA, but the gym is the one place I can go consistently. But, gradually, it has become a comfort place for me as well. Although, I still avoid eye contact and talking to anyone. I think if you are serious about fitness, that you should consider the gym. My 24 hour fitness is only "real" busy 5-8pm. If it's really a problem, you can go earlier or later in the day to avoid the crowd. But if you decide to exercise at home, as some have suggested, jumproping is a great exercise and can be intense depending on what you do.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 01:55 PM
SAS Member

Running in place is good as is various aerobic moves. Also, don't underestimate the power and effectiveness of the Jumping Jack. You can create quite the workout using jumping jacks. What I sometimes do is, I will split jumping jacks into sets. I will do 100 jumping jacks, and then rest for 30 seconds; do 100 more jumping jacks, and then rest for 30 seconds; and then repeat the process for as long as you can stand it. By the end of one 10 minute workout, you will be sweating and huffing and puffing. You can also vary the number of jumping jacks - instead of 100 you can do 50 or 75 - and you can also play around with the length of rest between sets......This type of workout will give you a very good "interval workout" which gives your heart and metabolism more of a "shock" than exercising at a constant pace.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:26 PM
SAS Member

Re: Burning fat and losing wieght without running

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueEater
Recently I've started running to lose some wieght and fat, got in about 1-2 miles a day. About a week ago my treadmill broke down, what are someways I can exercise and burn fat inside the house. There are reasons I don't feel comfortable running outside or going to the gym, SA obviously, and I don't want to do arobics or anything my family would notice. I know I'm not leaving much options to get help on but anything would be appriciated.
Have you heard of the clothesline diet? The name obviously came about from a women that lost weight from walking or running around her clothesline.
Another one I have heard of, a woman lost weight in her kitchen, dont ask me how. Seems a little odd.

In the darkest hour the soul is replenished and given strength to continue and endure.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 05:07 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy246
If I eat 1500 calories a day, I should lose 2 pounds a week.
thats way too low. you'll lose weight at first but you'll stop losing before you reach your goals and will have difficulty losing more weight. you have to drop your calories gradually

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 06:16 PM
SAS Member

I happen to like running, especially outdoors around the neighborhood or on trails.

I think you'll find if you're jogging, people who are walking/gardening/whatever won't try to talk to you because you're obviously absorbed in your workout and just passing by. I feel like I'm in my own little private-space bubble when I'm running around the neighborhood, I love it.

Also, running gives a positive shared experience - I try to practice not being so afraid to talk to people when I'm out jogging sometimes. I'll say "hi" to another jogger going in the opposite direction and try to make eye contact - it's good practice and they'll be gone soon anyway! Or I'll say "good morning" to someone out gardening. I just find that people don't generally interrupt when you're working out, but they like it when you say hi, which I usually wouldn't have the confidence to do otherwise.

I do find the gym intimidating, but I wear my headphones; having the music playing and knowing people can see I have headphones (so they won't talk to me) also makes me feel like there's kind of a protective barrier there. The elliptical is great for zoning out and burning calories!

I definitely think a healthful diet - lots of veggies, some protein, maybe a 500-calorie deficit (more than that and you're not likely to stick to your new eating habits long-term) is key; moderate aerobic exercise 4-6 days a week plus a few days with light weights is a good general guideline.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page