Should I start writing? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
MHD
SAS Member

Should I start writing?

I'm interested in reading books, I've read quite a lot of them in past few months and I constanly get new ones, when they're available in the library. I usually read horror or crime/mystery, sometimes others too. Stephen King is among my favourites writers (not the best writer, but good story teller). I was thinking to start writing short stories or novels just for fun or hobby, but I'm not sure if I'm good enough, I heard that writing is very difficult and writing good is even more difficult. I have some doubt that I won't be good in this and I might spent too much time doing something that will result in a catastrophe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:07 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD View Post
I'm interested in reading books, I've read quite a lot of them in past few months and I constanly get new ones, when they're available in the library. I usually read horror or crime/mystery, sometimes others too. Stephen King is among my favourites writers (not the best writer, but good story teller). I was thinking to start writing short stories or novels just for fun or hobby, but I'm not sure if I'm good enough, I heard that writing is very difficult and writing good is even more difficult. I have some doubt that I won't be good in this and I might spent too much time doing something that will result in a catastrophe.
You never know until you try!

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:07 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
I say yes. You're probably not going to write a masterpiece at the beginning but it's something that will develop over time. Take it as a learning process and experiment with it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:48 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
You're not good enough to have fun or a hobby ? <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/headscratch.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:00 AM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Dead
If you're interested in getting feedback one day, I highly suggest joining a writing club of sorts. It can be highly beneficial having unbiased strangers reading your writing, compared to showing it to family and friends who may say it only "Sounds great" to not make you feel bad or because they aren't as qualified.

It's good that you're reading. The more you read, the better of a writer you'll become. Try using prompt generators online if you're struggling with an idea and if you're interested in doing something impromptu.

Don't focus on getting an audience off the bat, as the industry is heavily saturated and even online sites where people share their work for free like ArchiveofOurOwn can just be a huge popularity contest. I've found new writers tend to get hugely overshadowed there by older users who already have large followings, have submitted over a 100 works, and etc. That can be a huge blow to your confidence, but it doesn't mean it'll be because you're less better of a writer.

Remember to enjoy yourself first, before anything. I'm personally not that interested in exposure at all anymore, as I mostly just write for myself. It has helped ease off my self-consciousness and insecurity about my writing, since I don't feel forced to expose my work and only post it when I'd like to.

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:48 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
There's a book called "The 90-Day Novel" that I like. I ultimately decided I don't really want to write right now, but the guidance on how to go from loose ideas to a narrative are good.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:59 PM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
Writing is a skill, like anything else. Anyone can learn to write. The more you write, the better you get, as long as you're trying to get better (ie. pushing yourself). I've got over 60 published stories and novels. I'm a lot better now than I was when I started.

The best thing you can do is get in the habit of writing every day. When I started, 1,000 words was an average day, and 2,000 words a good day for me; now, 2,500 words is an average day, and 5,000 words is a good day. Read every day, too, if you can.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page