Politically active - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
()

Politically active

For some years I've felt like I should join this political party I agree with in a majority of issues. It's important to me that I do something to change society for the better- and I'm sick of feeling like I have mostly negative effects on the world.. This seems like the easiest and most effective way for me to change that, at this point in life.

But of course I'm terribly nervous about it. Partly because of my social anxiety of course. But also because I'm afraid it would be too draining and that I'd lose my will and confidence when I feel I can't accomplish anything.

So I'd be very happy if you who are, or have been, politically active (within a party or any other organisation with a will to change society in some way) could tell me something about how it is/was for you.

PS. It's probably best if you leave out what standpoints you have on politics in general. I don't intend to start arguments here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Dragonic Archon

I'd say if you're getting into politics, you'd want to practice debating lol. Forums are probably a lot less stressful than real life. I'm not politically active though, so I'm not speaking from experience, just by what I'd think one would expect.

Although, there's probably different ways to support your affiliated political party, if that's what you're looking for^^

Love or hate me as you will, but live now and in your final breath. In time we shall meet again.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Permanently Banned

I partially work for NGO in my country who sole purpose is destroying those political parties who are pro freedom,justice,anti-coruption and so on .I hope this country gets delivered to hell . Long live the NWO .

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 05:31 PM
SAS Member

Funny you posted this, because I'm the same way and just the other day signed up with a political party on campus.

I'm working on exposure with my therapist right now and the stuff I've had to do with the political party so far has been 8/10 on my anxiety hierarchy (introducing myself to strangers, holding conversations etc).

I was tempted to put it off until I felt like I could handle social interaction better, but I'm glad I've thrown myself in the deep end like this. Just hope I can swim now.

My advice would be to make sure you're prepared to share your specific opinions on things. It will help with your interactions with the people and you'll be delightfully surprised when they passionately agree with you on something.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 03:53 AM
bye bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choci Loni View Post
But of course I'm terribly nervous about it. Partly because of my social anxiety of course. But also because I'm afraid it would be too draining and that I'd lose my will and confidence when I feel I can't accomplish anything.
I've been working in a minor political party for the last few years. Don't feel afraid about hierarchies yet. If it's a grassroots party, you'll be welcome, and you'll have meaningful democratic influence. Also, the hardest part you'll find isn't interacting with people, but coming up with new and creative ideas. Also, just doing something like collecting signatures for a referendum is, "accomplishing something". It doesn't matter how menial it is, the more people are engaged in reform the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choci Loni View Post
So I'd be very happy if you who are, or have been, politically active (within a party or any other organisation with a will to change society in some way) could tell me something about how it is/was for you.
If you really believe in this party and know what it stands for, it should help with any depression/sadness you have. Political and civic action is very empowering. I became more motivated.
Also, I didn't make friends in the party, but that isn't the point of political action.

Hiya friends,i'm feelin Happy,n super stupid
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
()

Thanks for the answers! Thought this thread wasn't going to get any.

---
@faroutman

Yes, this sounds a lot like my situation, except you've already taken the step. I hope you'll be happy about your decision. Sounds like you've made a great choice This makes me feel more inspired to sign up as well.

---
@will22

Traditionally, it's been a prolific grassroot party, and there seems to be a very positive attitude towards everyone who wants to contribute. That's one of the main reasons those kinds of menial tasks would feel quite meaningful.

It sounds great that you haven't experienced much trouble getting on with people. I'm a little more confident about coming up with ideas, as long as I'm sufficiently involved- also, I won't have very high demands on myself to begin with.

---

So I'm quite sure this is something I want to try out. I don't know when exactly, but hopefully quite soon. I'll possibly post an update here in time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page