I PROMISE TO NETWORK MORE, you should too. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Aggressive

I PROMISE TO NETWORK MORE, you should too.

I feel that part of the reason why I and many others feel ourselves stagnating in adult life is our inability to network.

I am guilty of this. Even as I post this thread I know to myself I am terrible at this.
I mean, I often sit at this computer saying to myself that I have no friends, and whenever I have a problem, legally, financially or otherwise, I feel I have nobody to turn to.

But the thing is..THIS IS NOT TRUE.

In the last year alone, 2 of my primary school classmates have become lawyers, others are mechanics, at least one of them is a Carpenter...others work in the bank etc....
And everybody is on Facebook.

I have been stuck in my head so long thinking "we have nothing in common socially" that I have allowed myself to lose these contacts.

So today I made a baby-step. I chatted up one of my old classmates...just a simple, high hello, how is life, if I need anything in (your specific field) can I count on you ? ...and to my surprise, the person said yes...even if we haven't spoken in years.

The thing is....this doesn't come naturally...I consciously have to do it...but it is necessary. This is how the world works.

It's more than just your paper qualifications....it's networking.

So I challenge you today...you may have a plumbing problem, a legal problem, something financial ....I challenge you to look up your list of classmates from school...there must be at least one person who you can consult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 05:07 AM
Social experimenter

Some people are so good at networking it's called corruption
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 05:10 AM
'functioning' psycho

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
It's very obvious to me that we live in two very different worlds lol, but good luck.

edit: also kind of old thread that someone bumped for some reason. I had some more thoughts but post is too old to bother.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
It's very obvious to me that we live in two very different worlds lol, but good luck.

edit: also kind of old thread that someone bumped for some reason. I had some more thoughts but post is too old to bother.
Huh ? this is an old thread lol.
In response to the person above calling it corruption...that's an en extremely narrow view of how the world works. That's as narrow as the guys who go MGTOW because "all forms of relationships are a transaction" ...that's such a dull and colourless way of viewing life.

Come'on guys...have you never had the experience of a co-worker who always seems to "know a guy" everytime they have a problem ?

If his car needs fixing..he knows a mechanic. If he needs a vacation he knows someone who works at a travel agency.

You gotta be really naive if you think you can navigate this world without building contacts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 11:00 PM
'functioning' psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post
In response to the person above calling it corruption...that's an en extremely narrow view of how the world works. That's as narrow as the guys who go MGTOW because "all forms of relationships are a transaction" ...that's such a dull and colourless way of viewing life.

Come'on guys...have you never had the experience of a co-worker who always seems to "know a guy" everytime they have a problem ?

If his car needs fixing..he knows a mechanic. If he needs a vacation he knows someone who works at a travel agency.

You gotta be really naive if you think you can navigate this world without building contacts.
You seem to know a lot of people in high places that's what I meant among other things. Might work for you because you're a doctor and networking is a two way street.

I definitely wouldn't want to get back in contact with basically anyone I knew in high school either.

Navigating the world isn't for me anyway I'm here purely to scare the **** out of other people:

https://www.euronews.com/2018/05/01/...r-society-view

https://theconversation.com/the-prec...se-apply-10550

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 11:07 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Dear God no! Humans are awful.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 11:29 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
I've never been able to work, so I have no former coworkers to turn to. None of the "friends" I had in school were interested in keeping in touch and I have no idea what happened to any of them except that 99% of them moved away years ago. I don't know anybody on Facebook, and my account was recently (temporarily) blocked for "suspicious activity"--after I shared a fluffy news story about a sick shelter cat, on my own page, which nobody looks at because I have no Facebook friends--so, I'm not going to be interacting on my Facebook anymore if that's considered "suspicious," I need it to connect to my apps. And I have absolutely zero skills of any use to anyone else, and am too anxious to respond to PMs, so...that rules out me helping anyone in return.

But, good on anyone who actually does have prospects to network. Sounds nice to have people to turn to for aid.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Social experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post

Well LA DEE DAH, I guess you've never had to fix your own car, computer, house repairs, or book your own travels! :P
No but really, I'm glad you're so popular that you think getting the maid to clean up is the only way to live. And to be quite frank, I don't think being too poor and alone to get on a cricket wireless plan equates to whatever the F$%# MGTOW ppl babble about.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 11:11 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
This thread is so grating on so many levels.

/WYSD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 11:23 AM
'functioning' psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by asittingducky View Post
Well LA DEE DAH, I guess you've never had to fix your own car, computer, house repairs, or book your own travels! :P
No but really, I'm glad you're so popular that you think getting the maid to clean up is the only way to live. And to be quite frank, I don't think being too poor and alone to get on a cricket wireless plan equates to whatever the F$%# MGTOW ppl babble about.
Yeah not trying to attack the OP because like I say different worlds but I've never known anyone who used a travel agency to book a holiday (it wouldn't occur to me to do it if I was for that reason, the less unnecessary communication the better and it costs more money.) My family are the only people I know who have ever gone on holiday anywhere. My best friend never does. No one my age I've known ever does, unless it's with their family. In the UK a lot of people are worse off then their parents. That's why people live with their parents if they can. Sometimes people go live in their car and then they travel around in their car, but that doesn't require a travel agency.

Most of the time if people I know need to repair/build stuff they do it themselves if they can unless they're renting then landlords fix stuff (no they don't often, but in theory lol.) My parents are quite good at gardening/DIY because they're home owners. I'm pretty useless except when it comes to building PC's. Half the people I know don't own a car.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Social experimenter

Are you even allowed to live out of your car in the UK?? I briefly did it and it was not very hygienic but I actually got decent sleep. I had a coworker friend who did it a few years back when his gf kicked him out. I guess he is better at survival than me because I don't know how someone is just able to find girlfriends on campus when they need a place to stay!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 07:01 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I don't understand the concept of networking. It's basically having a base of people you can ask for professional favours, right? That feels so awkward to me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page