How to not let comparisons eat you up? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How to not let comparisons eat you up?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but getting career is a big goal of mine, so here goes.

I'm going to school for animation and multimedia. I'm researching on what type of things studios expect on a storyboard portfolio and man...talent is out there!

I'm in awe of these young artists but I'm also sick to my stomach. All I can think of is, "How can I ever catch up to that level of at skill?? Will I ever catch up?"

The pressure seems higher than ever for me because I'm almost 30 and I'm no closer to an animation related job than I was at 18. And with SA I can't just be a production assistant and work my way from there. I was a PA on a film (to try it out) and I had a panic attack after only working 1 day.

I love drawing, but it's far from easy when you have severe anxiety and depression. How do I stay motivated despite the competiton?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:18 AM
SAS Member

This is a difficult one hey, I think it's only human to compare ourselves with others but it probably does far more harm than good. I am 24 (will be 25 in August) I'm still busy with my undergraduate degree because I started it 2 years ago (long story). It's hard for me to not feel envious of 22 and 23 year old who are graduating and some of them have already started their careers. I think one needs to remind themself that they have their own race to run, we all have different life journeys. I know all of this sounds very clich├ęd(and it is lol) but it's true. You can only strive to be the best you can be and forget about other people who seem to be better than you. Don't be too hard on yourself, you're only human.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:55 PM
Holistic Health

Comparison is natural for humans but we have the choice to shut it out and focus on our own lives. It's tough but I know you can do it. Once you acquire that talent to keep that focus mentality you will feel less negative about yourself.

Avoid going on social media. Avoid listening to people who brag too much. Avoid what will cause those sad feelings.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page