How can I find my life purpose? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How can I find my life purpose?

I want to know what my goal is in life. What I'm here on Earth to do. Has anyone found their life purpose? If so, how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 07:52 AM
SAS Member

Do you have an undeniable passion for something?

Could be something to do with community, travels, writing, exploring, stunts, speed, family, friends, designing, cooking, etc. Anything come to mind?

Do you have like a rule, quote or religion that you stick by?

Wonder and wander
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 09:25 AM
SAS Member

Read a book. Read books. Read many books. Read many more books.

It's a great way to figure out whether you are interested in something.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:12 AM
SAS Member

I guess just try new things, idk what i want to do either but there's no point in wasting time not doing anything.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNormal View Post
I want to know what my goal is in life. What I'm here on Earth to do. Has anyone found their life purpose? If so, how?
If you are disgusted by something, fixing it will be your passion. If you are so obsessed with something that you don't eat or sleep for a long period to do it, that's an obsession that is going to be your passion. If you went through something terrible and overcame it, helping others with that dilemma will become your passion.

After overcoming social anxiety, I've come back to this forum to help others do the same!

My Social Anxiety Advice Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdG...esJ9U7VLGSgH9Q
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 10:53 AM
SAS Member

Larger pattern to what I do, want to do, and like to do.

avatar credit to lhuin.deviantart.com
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 PM
SAS Member

Basically build enough experience to know how the world works and find a place in that framework where you can have happiness, mastery, and love

If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Incorporeal

To one day eat a peking duck.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:43 PM
SAS Member

The purpose of life is to eat so we survive and have sex so we don't go extinct. There is nothing beyond that and you will be disappointed if you try. Most people are usually delusional enough to think that donating to charities or some**** will make a difference in the grand scheme of the universe though.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamloss View Post
The purpose of life is to eat so we survive and have sex so we don't go extinct. There is nothing beyond that and you will be disappointed if you try. Most people are usually delusional enough to think that donating to charities or some**** will make a difference in the grand scheme of the universe though.
Don't agree. Obviously we have to eat and drink to survive, but there's much more to it than that. In my opinion to look at life as just 'Surviving' is really negative. To me life.. Is the best gift anyone could have, and I am not going to waste it, thus the reason of the question of finding my life purpose. Because I want to make the most of MY life and how I live it.

I go by life from this quote "3 Choices In Life, Give Up, Give In, Or Give It All You Got" It all depends on how hungry the person is for success, if they ain't then they will be sad, depressed and angry at themselves. Can guarantee you that.

So... I will try to find my life purpose, even if I fail.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Don't agree. Obviously we have to eat and drink to survive, but there's much more to it than that. In my opinion to look at life as just 'Surviving' is really negative. To me life.. Is the best gift anyone could have, and I am not going to waste it, thus the reason of the question of finding my life purpose. Because I want to make the most of MY life and how I live it.

I go by life from this quote "3 Choices In Life, Give Up, Give In, Or Give It All You Got" It all depends on how hungry the person is for success, if they ain't then they will be sad, depressed and angry at themselves. Can guarantee you that.

So... I will try to find my life purpose, even if I fail.
It's not negative at all. It's clear in evolutionary science. I actually find it stupidly unrealistic and arrogant that surviving and reproducing isn't good enough for us special unique snowflake humans.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 11:07 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamloss View Post
It's not negative at all. It's clear in evolutionary science. I actually find it stupidly unrealistic and arrogant that surviving and reproducing isn't good enough for us special unique snowflake humans.
Yes 100 times over. I've done everything I thought was my passion and ended up being miserable. I all ways loved business ran my own and it did nothing for me. Same thing with relationships. The only thing I like to do is sit in my room and waste time, now if only I could find a way to make a living at that.

I just feel like the whole "everyone has a purpose" thing to be completely ridiculous. Just like soulmates. Its all unicorn dreams and candy cane kisses. In other words new agey bull but that's just me.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrweeble View Post
Yes 100 times over. I've done everything I thought was my passion and ended up being miserable. I all ways loved business ran my own and it did nothing for me. Same thing with relationships. The only thing I like to do is sit in my room and waste time, now if only I could find a way to make a living at that.

I just feel like the whole "everyone has a purpose" thing to be completely ridiculous. Just like soulmates. Its all unicorn dreams and candy cane kisses. In other words new agey bull but that's just me.
So you've given up? Just because something didn't work out, you'll just decide, "Oh, didn't work for me so no point in trying again, I'll just feel sorry for myself and sit in my room" Sorry Mrweeble but I'm sure you know, if you want something in life.. go get it. I'm not having a go at you, it's just an excuse to be lazy in my opinion.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
So you've given up? Just because something didn't work out, you'll just decide, "Oh, didn't work for me so no point in trying again, I'll just feel sorry for myself and sit in my room" Sorry Mrweeble but I'm sure you know, if you want something in life.. go get it. I'm not having a go at you, it's just an excuse to be lazy in my opinion.
That was pretty flippant and rude especially on a site whose title involves the word SUPPORT.

What happened to civil disagreement? I don't think suggesting a person is lazy and then having a little sarcastic condescending smiley right after it is behavior that belongs here.

People have different paths to try things, and to recover from failure and disappointment if it doesn't work out. I don't think that's excuses or laziness or giving up. Sometimes people need time to despair, then it runs it's course and they move onto something else.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:51 AM
txs
SAS Member

Quote:
Hi Mr. Normal,

I think we often assign a lot of value to the word "purpose." Finding your purpose is important, but what your purpose is can be anything as long as it means something to you and it gets you to strive towards a goal over the long term.

One of the best ways to think about your purpose is to think about, if you were at the end of your life looking back, what would make you feel like you lived a good life?

Its important to connect with yourself to "find" this purpose as the purpose isn't external to yourself. It is already within you. To connect with yourself I recommend meditating 20-30 min a day. Simply be. Allow yourself to exist. And remind yourself that this 20-30 min is your time. Any stress you have can wait till after. But this time is yours.

Then as you go about your day, follow your urges and inclinations. Read books you are drawn to even if they don't seem up your alley. If someone keeps mentioning a book or a topic, or something they say peaks your interest, research it.

Each one of those "threads" is a puzzle piece fitting together. You don't have to act on anything unless you are inspired to do so. Just explore and see where these thread take you and how the pieces start to form the picture of your life.

I have more on this on my blog and channel but that is the main gist. Hope it helps =)

txs
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:01 AM
txs
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrweeble View Post

Hi Mr. Weeble,

In the early years of our lives we are taught to listen to others before we listen to ourselves. We are told what careers we should have, how much we should make, how we should act, what our interests should be, etc.

This serves a purpose, but it also gets us confused on what our true passions really are. As a result, we end up going after what we think we like instead of what we truly like.

This may be why you pursued businesses and relationships that didn't fulfill you. And why you don't feel motivated to do anything at this time. Because you've been chasing things you thought you wanted, but you actually didn't. You were just taught to want those things, but they don't actually fulfill you at the core level of your being.

I recommend meditating 20-30 min a day to get yourself listening to your inner self again. When you get in touch with your core being, you will start getting interested in the world around you and can start to interact and play with it again.

And it will open you up to discovering what your actual interests are without the judgement that was taught to you by others in your earlier years of life.

Hope you try it and if you do, let me know how it goes =)

txs
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 02:16 AM
bipolar

My life purpose has always been my family - for close to 30 years. Now my son is almost 25 and I live away from my wife - but they're still the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning.

It's taken me quite a while to get used to the idea that I can do other things now, that I can have another purpose in life apart from them.

I'm actually very passionate about books and old documents that are important to our country's history. It means quite a lot to me that these things are preserved.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:06 PM
txs
SAS Member

That's great that you uncovered a new passion =) What books are you reading these days? I hope you and your wife get to live together again soon.

txs
https://www.txs.solutions/find-your-purpose/
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:46 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

You can find your porpoise in the ocean...

Loneliness is not about being alone; it's about not feeling connected.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 09:37 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
You can find your porpoise in the ocean...

Great photo!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page