Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Graduation
Thread: Graduation
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:03 PM
numero1
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre314 View Post
Yesterday was graduation. I was fine receiving my diploma and walking across the stage. No big deal for me.

The problems started once graduation was over. Class of 2009, celebrate! Everyone throws their hats and hugs each other, but I'm just standing there. "Just get me the hell out of here," I'm thinking. I walk around and shake hands with some people in a superficial way, just because I'm paranoid that my parents are watching me from a distance. I want to look like I'm socializing. I do this for about 5 minutes until my parents reach me. We take some pictures, and then everyone asks me if I want to walk around and take pictures with friends. "No, I'm fine," I say. And everyone looks at me weird, like I'm a freak. Everyone else is doing that, but not me. Because I don't really have any friends. Just a lot of people that I would consider acquaintances-- people that I say hi to in the hallway and sit next to in class. And sure, I could have walked up to them and asked to take a picture with them, but then I'd just feel lame and pathetic because that person would know that I was asking them out of desperation.

Man, I need to change before I get to college.
I don't remember a single person coming up to me to congratulate me last year at my high school graduation, instead I had to do come up to them. One person asked if she could get a picture with me. That was pretty much it. I went out to eat with my parents and I was not only not invited to parties but no one even bothered, and no one had my number to begin with. Makes me wonder why no one cared to ask for my number.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome