Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Dawn of the Dead > Land of the Dead

3K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  0R0 
#1 ·
I recently bought land of the dead and dawn of the dead the other day.Ive seen all the originals as well,and heres my conclusion.The guy that did the Dawn remake outdid Romero at his own game which is just plain sad since Romero spawned zombie movies.the remake Dawn had a nice storyline and alot of good dialogue(alot of funny parts too).. the security guards,vhing rhames,steve...all really good characters.Oh and the zombies were done wonderfully.

Land of the Dead blew in every way possible except when dennis hopper shoots one of his lackeys.The zombies were really really overdone,especially the way they moved and were TOO STUPID acting even for zombies yet the movie revolved around them geting smarter,theyre were some REALLY cheesy parts(ex: when the almost headless zombie flings his head and bites the guy working for koffman,the soldier who falls on his grenade,zombies FIRING WEAPONS AND LEARNING THINGS even though theyre idiots,and just the zombies in general.the only part I liked was asia argento <3

#3 ·
The original Night of the Living Dead, and Dawn of the Dead were awesome...The next two Dead movies by Romero, Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead were absolutely horrible....The remake of Dawn of the Dead was good, but I didn't like the lame ending...I think the original Dawn of the Dead was by far the best of the zombie movies....The first half of 28 Days Later was also excellent...If people like Dawn of the Dead, check out 1971's The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston...It is now out on DVD and will scare the sh*t out of you...It is very similar to the zombie films, with Heston as the only surviving human in Los Angeles being pursued by zombie-like creatures....I thought that Johnny Cash's "When the Man comes around" was perfect for the remake of Dawn of the Dead...
There is also a nice bonus feature on the DVD which shows an anchorman chronicling the spread of the zombies...

#4 ·
I liked Dawn of the dead. I saw the original in a theatre way back when. I had made the mistake of going alone and then having to walk back to the base at midnight.

#5 ·
Dawn of the Dead never scared me...Instead I found it intriguing, watching as society breaks down, wondering what I would do in a similar situation...They actually have a Zombie Survival Guide handbook which recommends where to go for shelter, weapons to use etc...(I bought it and it is rather fun reading... :hide ) The Omega Man is also fascinating in that respect...Where would you go and what would you do if you were the last human...Anarachy brings danger, but it also brings freedom of choice, and liberation from a stultifying society...Always liked Doomsday movies...
But the Omega Man, zombies (actually plague victims) that wear dark capes and sunglasses, hide in the dark etc..That movie still creeps me out...Of course, not the kind of movie that I should have been brought to at the theatres when I was 6 years old (which did happen)...I have literally had occasional nightmaresd about that movie for 30 years! :lol

#7 ·
I've seen both of these lately, i think i liked land of the dead better than dawn of the dead. Dawn of the dead was much worse in my opinion, not only am i not a fan of extreme gore, it was just so over the top in my opinion. (plus i had to watch with my parents in the room) :fall

#8 ·
WinterDave said:
They actually have a Zombie Survival Guide handbook which recommends where to go for shelter, weapons to use etc...(I bought it and it is rather fun reading... :hide )

I have that book. It's a fun read.

The Omega Man is also fascinating in that respect...Where would you go and what would you do if you were the last human...Anarachy brings danger, but it also brings freedom of choice, and liberation from a stultifying society...Always liked Doomsday movies...
But the Omega Man, zombies (actually plague victims) that wear dark capes and sunglasses, hide in the dark etc..That movie still creeps me out...Of course, not the kind of movie that I should have been brought to at the theatres when I was 6 years old (which did happen)...I have literally had occasional nightmaresd about that movie for 30 years! :lol
I never found The Omega Man to be that scary, but I do think it's one of the best movies ever made. Charleton Heston's situation in that movie is an interesting one to think about.

#9 ·
aliensstolemyhappycells said:
zombies FIRING WEAPONS AND LEARNING THINGS even though theyre idiots,and just the zombies in general.the only part I liked was asia argento <3
I haven't seen Land of the Dead yet. But from what you say, already it's sounding like another Day of the Dead, which was a truly awfull movie.
Stupid scientist trying to teach Zombies to behave like living humans. And then the zombie learns how to fire a gun and shoots the commanding officer. It's ridiculous! I hate it when horror movies turn into comedies.

#18 ·
The Dawn of the Dead remake was great, but not quite on the level of the original, which is still the best zombie movie ever made.

1. Dawn of the Dead 78'
2. Night of the Living Dead
3. Dawn of the Dead 05'
4. Day of the Dead

Land of the Dead is crap, as is anything that comes after it. Romero is not relevant anymore...hasn't been for many years.

I might have to start a top 10 thread, to include all the other greats (Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Cemetery Man etc)

#19 ·
Fast zombies don't scare me. They can gross me out, they can make me jump, but they don't induce the lingering jitters that lurching zombies do.

#20 ·
I have a very strong bias toward zombie movies, I liked both Dawn Of The Dead and Land Of The Dead, but I agree Dawn is better.

I do, however, like the fact that Land Of The Dead doesn't bother with the whole infection starting at the beginning of the movie, it jumps right in with most of the population as zombies, that was cool. Jumped right into the action.

I have Dawn Of The Dead on blu ray, I need to get Land Of The Dead. I also need to see Diary Of The Dead (I think that's what it's called?)

#21 ·
Random thread that got revived x) I remember my brother told me to watch dawn of the dead with him, when I was little. I think I was in 2nd grade of something like that. And it freaked me out! Had nightmares for weeks ): I only watched it, cause he told me there was talking and moving gigantic trees. So I was all excited about the trees.. (I don't know why) And when the movie was over I was just like... O_O "YOU LIAR!!" There wasn't any trees ):

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
Night of the living dead and Dawn of the living dead (originals) are so amazing. Even you just judge them by the effects used in a time when CGI wasn't even dreamt of. The end of NotLD was brilliant. It speaks volumes.

I tried to watch the Omega man. I got about 45 minutes threw it and had to turn it off. It was so bad! The story was okay considering that it was based on a book that had already been made into a movie. But parts of it where so stupid that I was actually angry with it. The "cult" did not remind me of zombies or the apoclypse but of a silly cult of people who dont like the sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.