Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Windows Vista
Thread: Windows Vista
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Paul
🧱

Language: None
I haven't and will never try it, since Windows doesn't meet my needs, but everything I've read indicates it's a significantly less bad attempt to emulate Unix. Still nowhere near as good as the real thing or as good clones (BSD, Linux, Solaris, OS X), but the security is more sane since it makes it more practical to run as a non-administrator (though it still allows logging in as administrator, unfortunately) and prompts for root actions (though it still doesn't do it quite right, I gather, and old applications make a mess of it). Plus it's got the graphical effects similar to XGL and OS X, if you're into those. Even the filesystem is improved a little with the ability to make symlinks, though I've heard they don't work quite right in all contexts. If you're using something else it's not going to tempt you since it's still behind the competition, but if you like Windows then Vista is better for you than XP.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome