Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - The Toxic Shame thread (the cause of SA for most)
View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetimer
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P312 View Post
I read TOXIC SHAME probably 50 times in this thread alone. My head hurts. xD
P312,

Ha-ha. You are right! I used that phrase a bit too much - instead of using other words in its place. I didn't realize how many times I used the words "toxic shame" in my posts! I have now went back and edited out those words in some places, and I replaced it (in some places) with different words. However, there are still quite a few of the words "toxic shame" that I left in. I didn't know what else to use in its place in all the situations. Well, I guess I could've used its initials. I'll use the initials in some cases in the future. In any case, I have now went back and made an edit by replacing "toxic shame" in some cases with the words of "this condition" and the very generic word of "it".

EDIT (below in italics):

I know everyone is seeing the words "toxic shame ... toxic shame ... toxic shame", over and over throughout this long thread. BUT, don't become SO focused or hypnotized by those words to the point that you miss the main message of why you have SA. The point of this thread - at least in regards to why most people have SA - is to show how a specific source (or a combination of sources) has caused you to have SA. Shame (or "toxic" shame) is the end result of that source or sources that has caused the issues inside of you.

So, once again, don't become overly transfixed on the words "toxic shame". Instead, what is important to know & understand is that someone - or something - has caused the issues that you currently face, and that you need to do the work to heal yourself of this illness.

Thanks again, P312, for pointing out my overuse of that phrase. Even though there are still several places in my posts where I left in the words "toxic shame", hopefully, now that I edited it a bit, it isn't as quite overused as it was before.

Lifetimer

"Shyness can be a serious problem when it is rooted in toxic shame." - John Bradshaw, toxic shame expert

Visit this thread link to find out the cause of SA for most of us and what to do about it: http://bit.ly/UeWprg

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome