Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Paxil (paroxetine) [SSRI]

View Single Post
post #39 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Dane
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I've been on Paxil for seven years, and it's helped me a lot. Without it my SA was bad enough that I really couldn't function socially. I also didn't work or go to school because of extreme nervousness and panic attacks.

After trying Zoloft, which did nothing for me, I switched to Paxil (25mg), which had a gradual, subtle, positive effect that I only noticed after about six weeks.

It completely eliminated my panic attacks. Situations like speaking in front of a class still cause anxiety, but I never slide into panic, like I did pre-paxil. My nervousness when interacting with other people socially has decreased by about two thirds. Though I still have some anxiety, it's made the difference between being socially functional and nonfunctional, which is all the difference in the world.

At one point my doctor ramped the dose up to 60mg, to see if we could get any more out of it, but there was no further improvement.

Side effects for me are minor. Paxil magnifies the effect of alcohol. It makes me sleepy the next day if I have more then one or two drinks.

I had a few minor "brain zaps" in the first few months after I started it, but none since then.

It's made me have more and stranger dreams, but not bad ones.

I've skipped taking it for up to three days several times, with no noticable effect.

On a positive note, I never have nightmares any more, and my occasional minor spells of depression have completely vanished.

From reading this thread, it seems Paxil has wildly different effects on different people. I guess the only way to find out what it will do is to try it. Good luck to anyone who decides to!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome