Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Post a Quote that Inspires You

566K views 5K replies 1K participants last post by  Starcut83 
#1 ·
I'll start.... with 2

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

Helen Keller

I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.

Helen Keller

I take this to mean ... for me... that I can't give in to this urge, like I have been, to stay home and avoid all the hard and uncomfortable stuff out there... I have to make myself uncomfortable, make myself sick to my stomach, risk embarrassment and failure and push through the suckiest stuff - like I used to - and make myself get back out there and live this freakin' life the best I can and then try to go one step better than that.

Now - to just find more motivation around here to do that... nope, it's not under the couch, or under my bed or in my closet... where they hell is my motivation hiding?

See less See more
#117 ·
Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it. I can take it in small doses, but as a lifestyle I found it too confining. ~ Jane Wagner

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. ~ Carl Rogers

#118 ·
Ah i love quotes :D
I didn't read all the other posts so i dont know if i've repeated any..

• And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom - Anais Nin

• Fortune favors the brave - Publius Terence

• It is foolish to fear what you cannot avoid - Publius Syrus

• The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one - Elbert Hubbard

• Life shrinks and expands in proportion to ones courage - Anais Nin

• Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble, Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

• When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on - Franklin D. Roosevelt

• If we are facing the right direction all we have to do is keep on walking - Buddhist saying

:heart

#121 ·
"Everyone experiences fear. The difference is whether you express courage in addition" Personal - I welcome any better formulation :)

"You will not keep feeling depressed unless you permit that to happen" - My words - Cannot rememberer the original. I think much can be said under this one. I might open a thread for this later.

#122 ·
A golden goose will break your teeth come christmas.

and

Never leave a fox amongst the geese.

neither of these inspire me towards being more present and the first one is made up but both mention of the goose of yore though. Put that in your pipe and smoke it you filthy hippies!

#123 ·
Sometimes these just annoy me - but occasionally they'll snap me out feeling sorry for myself.

Is it worse to be scared than to be bored, that is the question.
Gertrude Stein

One sometimes says: 'He killed himself because he was bored with life.' One ought rather to say: 'He killed himself because he was bored by lack of life.'
Victor Hugo

The man who lets himself be bored is even more contemptible than the bore.
Samuel Butler

The wise person often shuns society for fear of being bored.
Jean de la Bruyere

There is a vast world of work out there in this country, where at least 111 million people are employed in this country alone - many of whom are bored out of their minds. All day long.
Richard Nelson Bolles

There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, ever.
Viggo Mortensen

When people are bored it is primarily with themselves.
Eric Hoffer

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.
Neil Gaiman

Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart, live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours.
Dale Carnegie

"Life is full of choices, if you have the guts to go for it. That's why I get immediately bored with anyone's complaining about how boring their life is, or how bad their town is. F***ing leave and go somewhere else. Or don't."

Henry Rollins.

Never to be bored, never to be frustrated, never to be alone.
-Ball, GeorgeWildman
Defining what John F Kennedy wanted from the presidency. President Kennedy (1993).

#124 ·
When I graduated High School in 1976, we had the opportunity to write a passage or a quote that either inspired us or spoke to us in some way. I was only 17 at the time and SA didn't begin to affect me until I was 19, but looking back, maybe I was trying to tell myself something. He is the quote:

We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

#126 ·
" I cursed that i had no shoes until I met a man with no feet " - Persian Saying

And heres another quote I love. Its a bit long.

" Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. "

#135 ·
“Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes of which all men have some.” — Charles Dickens