Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - SA really screwed up pretty much every aspect of my life
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 AM
shynesshellasucks
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjive View Post
I was just thinking about how SA has affected my life.

Professionally if I wasnt so concerned with the opinions of others I'd probably a lot further than I am now im my career. I was more skilled, experienced and smarter than a lot of the other people that I worked with but because I was worried about others opinions I wouldnt go for promotions or higher paying positions.

Socially I've done OK but I havent really pursued the relationships and friends that I've wanted because I was, again, too scared. I should've dated a lot more girls than I have and should've had more friends.

Now that I feel that Im past SA about 85% I feel like this will allow me to do the things that I want to do with my life.

I've been out of work for a while and when I get back to work I feel like I'll take more initiative in my career and work to get the things that I've always wanted. I've already started meeting more people and have met a lot more girls than I ever have in the past.

Its amazing how much of a hinderance SA has been on my life but now that Im not so constrained by others opinions I feel like I can get more out of life than I ever could have with SA.

I'm sure you all have similar stories about how SA has stopped you from doing things that you've always wanted to do.
You do seem to have things going for you that is really good. Sadly I'm not sure I could say the same about myself. Without SA, I could still picture myself being down on the social ladder, sure I could have some friends and all and maybe a girlfriend, but considering I don't have other areas of my life settled, I still think I would end up feeling bad. I feel really insecure about my looks. My grades in school and now in college suck; I wasn't totally stupid but I was/am just mostly a lazy bum. I think my intelligence and **** ups may have also been some of the causes of my SA.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome