Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Obsessive/Intrusive thoughts
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
tiacxx
SAS Member

Obsessive/Intrusive thoughts

TW: Newborn baby

I wasn't sure which topic to post in so have opted for this!

For as long as I can remember I have always experienced some intrusive thoughts but the past few months it has gradually been getting worse and worse to the point it is now getting unbearable. One of the major factors I suffer with from my anxiety is thinking of the worst-case scenarios and the 'what ifs' and worrying about what could happen or is going to happen even in completely normal/calm situations.

My sister who lives with gave birth to my gorgeous baby nephew 2 days ago and leading up to her labour as well as after giving birth and presently I am having constant thoughts that something bad is going to happen such as my sister was going to die whilst giving birth or I'm going to wake up in the morning and he's going to be dead or is going to stop breathing, I know that it is unlikely because as far as we are aware he is perfectly healthy and happy. I just can't seem to shift these thoughts and it is slowly making me ill as I cannot eat or sleep properly with them and if I try to think about something else or dismiss them another comes in to my head such as me and my younger brother are due to go abroad next year and I'm thinking that we're going to die on the plane.

I'm genuinely embarrassed that I'm thinking this way and feel stupid/dramatic I'm making these situations up in my head but I don't know what to do on how to help/stop them. If anybody has any suggestions I would be really appreciative.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome