Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - I'm starting college
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Emily29
SAS Member

Hi everyone, I'm really sorry I haven't posted on here in so long, I've just been really busy so I haven't been on this forum a lot. Thank you all so much for being so nice and for caring so much, it really means a lot to me! I actually started college about a month ago and so far it's going really great for me! 🙂 I'm going to college in a very big city that's very far away from where I used to live and I feel like living in a new city is really helping me with my anxiety because I feel like I can really start over and I'm not always reminded of my past. I live in an apartment off campus (we don't have campus housing here in Germany), but I have a flatmate who is very nice. The only problem is that I have to take most of my classes online because of the whole Corona situation, so that makes it harder for me to meet new people, but it's also a relief because I feel like taking classes via Zoom is not as scary as actually going to campus and having to talk to people in person.
I actually had a Zoom meeting last week and in the beginning the professor asked us how college was going for us so far, with classes being online and everything and I said that I find it hard to meet new people since I only just moved and I don't know anyone. It was really hard for me to say that in front of so many people and I still can't believe I did it because it's not like me and I think a month ago I never would have done it. And then later another girl who is taking this class with me wrote to me and said that she felt lonely too and that we could always write to each other or talk on the phone if I wanted to. We have been texting for over a week now and she is such a nice person! I still feel anxious talking to her sometimes because we haven't known each other that long, but it's nice to have a friend.
I'm majoring in English by the way 🙂

I know there are many of you who feel scared about going to college and I understand how you feel, but I just want you to know that sometimes doing the thing that scares you is really worth it and things might turn out so much differently than you expect them to 🙂

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome