Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Does anyone here get reprimanded a lot at work?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 04:54 PM
truant
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
I used to get in trouble at work all the time for not getting everything done that was supposed to get done. I think that's mostly because I'm a perfectionist, but also because I never felt comfortable leaving a bunch of mistakes for other people to correct. It seemed more efficient, and less rude, for me to avoid making the mistakes in the first place.

But what happens with a person like me is that I end up spending a lot of time correcting other people's mistakes, as well as avoiding making my own mistakes, and the people who make lots of mistakes get praised for being fast/efficient workers and people like me get criticized for being too slow. My bosses always praised the quality of my work and then would tell me that I had to work faster. The people who were fast would get criticized for making too many mistakes. No one seemed to understand that the two are mutually exclusive.

You can either do something slowly and well, or you can do it quickly and imperfectly. So I think the onus is on the people running the company to decide how much imperfection is acceptable so that perfectionists know where they can cut corners. Because my employers expected everything to be perfect regardless of how unrealistic their demands were. Which meant that some people cut corners and made lots of mistakes and other people did things properly and were too slow. I worked there 13 years and never met anyone who was both fast and perfect.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome