Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do you lie during interviews?

1K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  The Strong Silent Type 
#1 ·
Pretty straightforward. I'm unable to lie because I feel it would get me into more trouble. I mean why would I declare I'm fluent in French when I'm not? Also filling in gaps in my CV, why would I do that?
I don't feel comfortable with it as a result I never got a job of course.

There is also the greatly annoying questions about what I do in life and where I see myself in X years. The absolute most annoying questions though that ALWAYS get me in trouble is "what are your qualities"?

I just can't act and I followed workshops around finding jobs many years ago. It is no use I feel ridiculous when I open my mouth.
I wouldn't be able to sell myself if I was made up of diamond...

#2 ·
Well... I'm not sure that selling yourself would be lying. If you're getting to the interview stage despite not lying in the CV, then that suggests they're comfortable that you (as least as per portrayed in your CV) can do the job.

As for myself, I've certainly given a "rose-tinted" outlook of my career to employers, and may gloss over less favourable aspects unless if they were an obvious "elephant in the room" aspect, in which case I'd probably raise the matter myself. My main thing is ensuring I was prepared to answer any post-employment scrutiny given to any exaggerations/ omissions I've made during the CV/interview stages.

#4 ·
I haven't had to do an interview in years but if I did I'd lie, distort, fabricate, misrepresent - whatever I had to do if I needed a job. Say I worked on projects I didn't or I'm good at things I'm ****e at like budgeting. I'd be able to pick it up anyway once I started working there so whatever.

#5 ·
No, I only ever did one interview & I blew it... but they still hired me : /

#7 ·
Am applying for a bunch of **** atm.

The whole "I am going to be completely honest" thing ran out pretty quickly after the first four wasted applications.

Now I make sure I check off as many of the boxes as I can, but I do keep at least a thread of connection to reality. I have no problems lying about what I know, or understand though, because I have a giant brain and can learn that ****e.

#9 ·
Same here. Very uncomfortable with lying. So much so that I'm often scared that people will think I'm lying even when I'm telling the truth. In my case, the truth sounds bizarre as I have a unique combinations of problems.

I think there are some jobs and companies though where this will be an asset.

#10 ·
I don't think telling the truth for me would be a very good idea. I would definitely not get the job if I did. But then again I haven't had to do an interview for a long time.

Back when I did them I lied too - I just always assumed everyone does. Mainly just pretending I actually wanted to work there or was suited to the job. Basic common sense stuff really.

#11 ·
Ditto

I am exactly the same and I attribute it to being raised to not lie... I always feel guilty.

As much as I'd like to fluff up my chances, I'm very bad at lying. It just doesn't feel right.

I think instead, we have to figure up a way to make what we can do interesting. At least that way we aren't fibbing but it's still a bit deceptive...

#17 ·
I never lied in an interview. I am currently unemployed but I have done many jobs and had many interviews. I am still relatively young and it does help in getting hired, unless you are very qualified for the job, where the doors might be opened wide at any time. I mean, their job is to judge you, right? I mean, they have to make a quick opinion about the people they meet. I'm not gonna say I am not going to lie at some point. Still, it would have to be on a technicality and something that hopefully wouldn't be brought up, because it's something insignificant.

In all honesty, if you're in a wary situation where, you expect to losing everything or not being able to eat, I would say to just go with the flow and try to make your way in.

#18 ·
There's a guy I know who does a lot of odd jobs. He says that he goes to get the job and then he figures out how stuff works. Every employer knows that you will have some stuff to learn. He does get jobs and he keeps them for some time. He usually ends up clashing with his bosses. lol

#19 ·
Yes. I've always had trouble keeping a job due to multiple medical conditions. I have gotten to the point where I have to lie on my resume and interviews because nearly all of my jobs have been for less than a year. I've gotten so good at lying about my career, it almost feels like I am telling the truth. Though, my lies aren't too far from the truth. I lie about dates and exaggerate a little.

Unfortunately, I am paying the price now. Last year I got a job that I was way under qualified for. I did so well on the interview they offered me a leadership position instead of the job I applied for. It didn't take them long to figure out that I wasn't qualified. Been unemployed since (over a year).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.