post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 07:17 AM
chrisinmd
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily29 View Post
Thank you so much for your kind words!
I'm mostly nervous about meeting new people. I was bullied a lot in high school and I have a very hard time making friends because of my anxiety, and so I'm afraid that I won't make any friends and that I'm going to be alone. Also the thought of being around so many new people is very scary for me. I'm glad that there are student support services and everything, so there's someone there if I need help, and I'm going to try my best to have some fun and to meet people, but of course it's very overwhelming.
Are you going to a local community college or a college some distance from home. If its a local college you may end up having to deal with the same bullies that you had to endure in high school. People mature a bit in college from high school but their are still a bunch of A holes in college. Hopefully its a school where no one knows you and can get a fresh start.

College can be hell for someone with social anxiety. I had a horrible time in college and had to dropout. Most colleges require you take a speech or communications class to graduate. I would have panic attacks (turning red, shaking and trembling very bad, difficulty speaking and thinking. Not fun) when I was required to speak in class. So I could not handle it. Didnt make any friends either really. Not a good situation. Are you living on campus or off? I lived off campus with my parents. If your planning on living on campus they may make it a lot easier to make friends with people who have a lot in common with you. With the current Covid situation im not sure but things will probaly be handled differently then normal. Lot more online classes would be my guess.

If I could go back in time and do college again the first thing I would do is see a Dr. or therapist to improve your SA. Need to be able to get to a place where you can function around people. Medication can help. A benzo like valium or Xanax before a situation that gives you a lot of anxiety can help you get through it. Wish I had thought of that at the time. Would have relaxed me and helped me get through speeches.

My other advice would be to get involved in as many school activities that interests you and have people in them that are supportive and nice to you.

Whats is your major by the way?

Anyway you can message me if you need some more advice. Good luck college can be the best time of your life or the worst. If you have bad SA that you cant manage it will be horrible.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome