Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Flu Jab yes or no?

2K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  ScorchedEarth 
#1 ·
Do you usually have the flu jab? Are you wanting to get it more because of Covid-19? Are you against vacinations?

#2 ·
It's essentially impossible for me to catch the flu this year, thanks to COVID-19 restrictions and precautions. But I don't normally get the shot anyway, because I'm afraid of needles and even in a normal year I'm so rarely near anyone that my risk is lower than that of 99% of people probably. Perhaps when I'm older or more socially successful.

#3 ·
I never cared about catching the flu, had to take my college finals with it. Looking back that was probably stupid, but it didn't seem to be taken as seriously back then (Nineties), I was young, and I didn't have much choice. (EDIT, incidentally, that was the last time I'm aware I've had the flu. 1997.)

I got my first flu shot (and started taking zinc and vitamin C, unproven but harmless) a few months before major surgery in 2016 because if I'd gotten sick I would've needed to reschedule, and considering that we had to travel long distance, that was DEFINITELY not an option. Have been getting it yearly since then since my health has declined a bit (I'm prone to UTIs because of my surgery, and they feel JUST like the flu :roll ), I live with my elderly parents, and why not?

(Needles sometimes make me pass out--I experience vasovagal syncope due to numerous triggers, including injections, blood, overheating, stress, etc.--but this has fortunately never developed into a phobia, plus it doesn't always happen. I've found that not looking at the needle, and tensing my leg muscles, helps a lot. It's other people's reactions to me passing out--apparently my lips turn blue and I jerk and twitch a lot so they think I'm having a seizure and try to call an ambulance--that bother me. I had an EEG done at a doctor's request after one such incident, no signs of epilepsy though I didn't pass out during the test, but even me warning people about this doesn't always convince them that some types of fainting DO strongly resemble seizures yet aren't. Anyway... :blah )

No, I'm not against vaccination.

#4 ·
For me personally no, others can do what they see fit, I don't like needles or doctors, avoid if possible, my father got the flu jab a couple months before he died & I think it made him worse not better, though he was already dying anyway, so who knows.

I don't take supplements & haven't been ill in 10 years, whatever time my health goes I'm not that interested in fighting it anyway tbh, but maybe that would change when the $h!t hits the fan, who knows.

#7 ·
You have to be careful with vaccines, I only know this because my wife is epileptic and I recall you talking about having it too. For some reason vaccines may cause seizures, at least that is what I have been told.

I'll just strike that out, there is so much misinformation on the web that it is hard to verify if the above is even accurate or not. My wife told me she couldn't have a flu vaccine, but after reading a little bit more, I'm not sure if that is true or not. Sorry for potentially spreading any further falsehoods.

Edit:
As far as getting a flu shot, I probably wont.. I should, but I am pretty lazy and always put things off for a while.

#9 ·
I've had it every year for ages - can't remember when I didn't get it. I couldn't care less about needles and I think it's a very sensible thing to do. I've had the flu a few times in the past and it's not a pleasant experience.

I had it back in March or so I think, when the Coronavirus was first getting serious - our government recommended it. They said having the flu and the Coronavirus would be a very bad combination. (no kidding) So I thought it might be quite nice to avoid that if possible.

#10 ·
I never used to get it, but I got it in 2015 and last year. I couldn't get it this year because it was always booked out, so I'll try again next year. :)

I don't know if I've ever had the flu. Some colds were worse than others, so I could have had it then. One of those was last year, a few months after the vaccine.

#12 ·
Did you never see the dog that gives brandy to people lost in snow ? That dog knows what's going on :yes

#16 ·
I've never had the flu shot but I got the flu so badly a couple years ago I thought I was going to have to be hospitalized so I'm considering it this year. My age factors into it heavily and my doctor and my wife have been hounding me for years to get it.

#17 ·
I've been getting an annual flu shot at work for the last 8 years. I'm in two minds about this year since the risk of me catching it is almost negligeable because of self-isolation. I've had flu twice and both times required medical intervention, not an experience I'd wish on anyone.

#18 ·
I dont think I've ever had the flu, or at least not suffered if I was indeed infected.

If giving the flu jab to as many people as possible helps the health authorities deal with covid then yeah I'll get jabbed. I may cry when I see the needle, but I'm a brave boy.

#19 ·
Of course. Especially this year. Especially. Anything that can possibly rule out covid. I caught a bad cold, even with social distancing which is quite strange and had me for a scare. Luckily, everyone around me was able to get tested due to being teachers or health professionals so I was the negative control. My bro also pressures me because I half ruined his honeymoon trip by having the flu and passing it onto his wife, who caught it because it was a particularly virulent strain that year even though she was vaccinated.
She got over it quickly in time for the honeymoon.

In short, yes. I dont want the guessing game of is it covid? ...

Edit: I wonder if one can request the nasal flu mist vaccine if fear of needles

#20 ·
Our family hasn't had good experiences with the flu shot, I got one in highschool and I got sick from it. My sister had a similar experience when she took her kids to get a flu shot for school, she got one just to show her kids it would be alright and she ended up getting sick. My grandmother in the Netherlands got very sick after taking the flu shot in the nursing home and almost didn't make it. So no I don't take flu shots anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.