Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Is anyone here chronically and severely constipated?

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  melancholyscorpio 
#1 ·
Do you think the anxiety causes constipation or does the constipation cause anxiety?

#3 ·
Yes. If I don't consume massive quantities of Metamucil I stop having BMs. I drink a ton of water and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, so it's not my diet. I've been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Usually, that means diarrhea, not constipation, but I'm one of those rare people who gets the constipated variety. The type of UC I have may be anxiety-related but idk. I was having 1 BM every 5-9 days on average before I started taking fiber, but I'm up to almost once a day now. But it can get expensive. I spend about $60 a month on fiber.

#6 ·
Awww riiight! :hs good to know I'm not the only one these orange flavored Metamucil chains. To tell you the truth, I had to start buying the store brand Metamucil that's LOADED with sugar. A big store brand bottle has the same amount of fiber as the little metamucil bottles, however, the store brand is still about 50% cheaper. Thankfully I don't have diabetes yet even though it runs in my family. Oh well, it works.

It's just such a chore to drink. It makes me so uncomfortable, so full and so bloated. I tend to skip it a lot :( which means no poop for me :(

#5 ·
Chronically, yeah, though I wouldn't call it severe and I kind of prefer it this way. In my case it's because of several meds I take. If I didn't, due to having my gallbladder removed and 2ft of colon repurposed, I'd have chronic painful diarrhea shortly after every time I eat, instead. Yes, TMI. :serious:

#7 ·
I manage to get gassy and bloated all on my own. my friend said I looked pregnant some weeks ago. sometimes I couldn't go 4 hours without needing to take a ****, and since my work often has no breaks it can be terribly uncomfortable.

I'd rather just not poop.

#11 ·
Well for me... I wouldn't say it was severe but it turned out that deli lunch meat was the problem. I had been eating it for years and only realized just recently that it might be an issue :lol

Too much iron is not the best either.

Try whole grains and fiber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.