Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)

344K views 361 replies 294 participants last post by  rabidfoxes 
#1 ·
Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy has been shown through scientific research to be the most effective form of therapy for Social Anxiety Disorder. Although it is recognized as a specific psychotherapy type, there are many different ways to practice CBT, and your therapist should be experienced in using it specifically with those suffering with social anxiety.

CBT consists of two basic elements, the cognitive and the behavioral. Through the therapy process, patients learn to recognize negative thoughts and think about how to prevent them from occurring as an immediate response to a certain situation. They are then guided to learn how to think about a stressful situation in a different, positive and less anxiety-provoking way. Some therapists describe the cognitive portion as a kind of a "reprogramming" of the brain to follow a more positive set of responses to certain situations. CBT is designed to be reinforced at home and throughout the daily lives of the patients, however, many people benefit from group CBT sessions in which the behaviors related to the cognitive changes can be practiced.

More info:
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/#cbt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

See less See more
#3 ·
Cbt

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Black_Widow
Social Anxiety Background
I've suffered social anxiety from around the age of 11, as a result of going through a number of difficult bullying experiences at high school and also some bad family times previously which had a negative impact on my self esteem.

I first decided to seek out help for this condition last year, because of the way that it's seriously impacting upon my ability to work and support myself, sustain personal and working relationships with others, and upon my ability to live an independent adult life because of these things.

Other Treatments
Before starting CBT treatment tried general counselling. But found that it didn't help.

Have also tried medication before. Helps, but only minimally.

Treatment Experience
As a starting point I've found this type of therapy very useful. But unfortunately, since finishing therapy sessions at the start of this year, haven't yet made the progress with it that I initially hoped to. I expected much faster results but have since come to realise that I've yet a long way to go before I can realistically expect to master the techniques involved - as have found this is something which is taking me both time and practice.

I would still highly recommend this type of therapy to anybody suffering with SA, as even though my experience has been somewhat disappointing still feel that the ideas involved are very good and useful one's. But would also advise anybody out there, who is hoping to achieve fast results from this type of therapy, to re-think their expectations. CBT is a type of therapy that requires both determination and persistence in order for the full benefits to be gained.

#69 ·
(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Black_WidowBut would also advise anybody out there, who is hoping to achieve fast results from this type of therapy, to re-think their expectations. CBT is a type of therapy that requires both determination and persistence in order for the full benefits to be gained.
I have to say I absolutely agree with this, based on my own experience and also that of a friend who has been socially anxious all his life. We both tried CBT but had disappointing (i.e. nil) results. Being depressed while trying to get benefits from this therapy, even though it's also supposed to be useful for depression, seems to make progress almost impossible to achieve in practice. The same goes for expecting instant results!

All I can say to anyone not getting results is to maybe try and reduce some of your problems with medication first, if you can find anything that helps, and then try CBT again. Doing it with a better mind set would help a great deal I imagine. It can be too difficult while stuck in a depressive fog, and impossible if you expect it to be easy to do or give immediate results. I think it pays to remember that it's not going to be as easy as taking pills or supplements, but that it could possibly work better in conjunction with those.

#4 ·
well
thanks for posting
i am very excited n hopeful n happy of my appointment with CBT physcatrist and hoping things will get better. i will feel much more confident, so i can do what i got to do to survive and help others.

Now i know what to expect and thank you again guys, u know from my heart i love u even if u r my enemy cuz "when u look at my eyes, u will c me, but take a closer look and u will c urself if u look into my heart"

#112 ·
Hi Drew, and all,

CBT worked very well for me. I did 12 months of it and found it very helpful. My counsellor was a really nice person also, which helps.

I think that CBT would help anyone. The most difficult step is getting yourself through the door in the first place; simply because of the very nature of social anxiety!

Cheers

Sam
Thanks for this. Have just started CBT and has made me feel positive about it! :)

#6 ·
I believe CBT is the best method. You can either do it formally with a psychologist or you can do it on your own by reading books, listening to audios etc.

It combines changing your mind (cognitive) and then emersing gradually into real world situations step by step (behaviourial). They basically effect each other because you can't learn this stuff just purely in theory. The behaviorial translates the positive thoughts in your mind into something that is tangible.

The important part is to always stay positive and not let set backs frustrate you.

#8 ·
i think cbt is the only way to go in regards to overcoming social anxiety. i just cant see any other way to beat it other than cbt. however i think cbt should be combined with unconcious programming like nlp/hypnotherapy which is basically just a more advanced form of cognitive behavioural therapy

#13 ·
I'm a pessimist. So many rave about this cbt on this thread. I'm new and have never tried anything other than medication. My most simple question is, how can someone tell me something about myself that I dont already know? I think simple-minded people can get help this way, but when youre full of personal insight, how can this help? I know what i need to do to get better, and i just cant do it,

#14 ·
I think communicating something to someone who really understands and cares can change people. Its like that corny saying that if you share something good its twice as good and if you share something bad its only half as bad. Telling something important to someone who REALLY cares and listens will truly lighten your burden in life even though it is not adding to your self knowledge.

#17 ·
I was in a CBT therapy session for three months last year from September to December 2009 and I can say it was helpful. The key is the individual has to decide he or she wants to change. In my CBT therapy session I was video taped twice! The first time being video taped was extremely nerveracking. I remember when I was going to be video taped the first time I ran out of the room because I was so nervous. My therapist she chased me to the elevator and I am so glad she did! She convinced me to return to the therapy session and I completed the treatment. I still sometimes struggle with my anxiety levels but the therapy helped me to understand
why I do.

#18 ·
I did CBT for 12 months - the fact is it helped me think much better and as a result I deal with anxiety better.

A lot of ppl purport to provide 'CBT' that's not real CBT - you have to pay good money (£80 per hour usually) to get real CBT.

Courses with 10-16 week time limits to them are to be avoided at all costs.

Biggest characteristic that set my therapist apart was that she told me to be patient with my progress, not to put myself under pressure and also not to self flagelate if I 'get it wrong' when practicing techniques. It's also important to believe in the therapy beforehand and to look for a therapist that isn't an obnoxious prick.

What I ended up with was a very simple technique, but therapy was a long process.

Main thing is to actually face the problems and the pain. Things like meditation and saunas do zip for your anxiety except make you avoid it and give the illusion of being therapeutic. They're fine if you want to relax and mitigate against health problems, but mentally do nothing for you. CBT if properly applied gives you a way of thinking which can be applied 24/7 and tackles anxiety - that's far more powerful and can give relaxation in any environment.

#19 ·
Thanks for the responses and postivie feedback. One guy used a word that im sure isnt even a real word. Im gonna see a psychiatrist in a couple weeks. It's not easy to get a referral, and i get the impression that this is for a possible diagnosis with no pontential follow-up. I have to look into my health coverage, but hey, im canadian so i might be okay on that front.

Benzos work okay, but theyre far from a solution. Drinking also works well, but that's even farther from a solution.

#20 ·
My experience with CBT so far

Sooo my name is Kate, I've been living with SA most of my life (haha sounds so much like AA)

It has taken me 3 visits to psychologists to see one that i click with and feel 'just right' and comfortable with (transference and counter transference)..

I'm up to my sixth session with my psychologist and it's going alright so far.. I'm having issues seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I just cant see it right now... I've been finding that theirs alot of 'home work' involved with CBT and soooo much of it is based on negative thinking, how it makes me feel, the unconscious thoughts that I don't really notice because of the safety program I'v had in place for many years so I'm not hurt or taken advantage of. Looking at the the benefits, costs and what type of thinking it is.. all of that stuff....

U have to want to change or it won't work at all.. and u need to tell your shrink what your reallly thinking eg. "I'm not sure i want to get rid of this thought because i feel it protects me".. I promise they won't get upset...

Well I'm over typing, hope this helps someone whose thinking of doing CBT and gives them an idea of what it's all about...

#324 ·
Amazing work

Sooo my name is Kate, I've been living with SA most of my life (haha sounds so much like AA)

It has taken me 3 visits to psychologists to see one that i click with and feel 'just right' and comfortable with (transference and counter transference)..

I'm up to my sixth session with my psychologist and it's going alright so far.. I'm having issues seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I just cant see it right now... I've been finding that theirs alot of 'home work' involved with CBT and soooo much of it is based on negative thinking, how it makes me feel, the unconscious thoughts that I don't really notice because of the safety program I'v had in place for many years so I'm not hurt or taken advantage of. Looking at the the benefits, costs and what type of thinking it is.. all of that stuff....

U have to want to change or it won't work at all.. and u need to tell your shrink what your reallly thinking eg. "I'm not sure i want to get rid of this thought because i feel it protects me".. I promise they won't get upset...

Well I'm over typing, hope this helps someone whose thinking of doing CBT and gives them an idea of what it's all about...
Amazing work so far. There is a lot of homework on writing and recording your thoughts. Once they are uncovered though, and de-constructed, it is amazing what happens though towards the end of the program. The shift takes time, but it is so worth it. congratulations on getting as far as you have.

#22 ·
I tried Dr. Richards tapes as well as a book. I do think it helped but not nearly as much as medication. I guess everyone is different but apparently in my case there was a problem that needed medication to correct. I became very frustrated and thank god my family doctor helped me get medication. I no longer have social anxiety at all and people are shocked that I ever could have. Unfortunately, I still have panic attacks and have sense moved so no luck trying a medication for that. Eventually, I am going to get so freaked out that I'll end up going to the ER and getting a big bill. Well, I don't have a job (due to the panic attacks) so at least I won't be paying the bill lol Add it to the long list of items I'll eventually have to file bankrupstsy on but right now I cannot even afford to file (ironic isn't it).

#24 ·
cognitive therapy and me

I was directed towards the books about CT and read those and tried to follow the directions to the T but i had a lot of trouble. FIrst and foremost i think is that i didn't have a therapist to help me along, and still don't, i have a psychiatrist, therapists aren't covered by the disability program my province provides. Anyway, i tried to do the paperwork and write down realistic thoughts to my irrational ones but i had trouble believing in it after a week or two because my body was telling me that i wasn't being irrational. My depression didn't get any better because i told myself that i would get better with time and the right meds, therapy or whatever. MY anxiety didn't improve much except at the very start when you are excited about something. I needed a real therapist to guide me and i cannot afford one and that is the end of it. My next stop is a hospital so maybe i'll get a therapist there but i don't know where else to turn. I think i'll try some support groups though i get freaked out thinking about it.

#25 ·
I tried the Dr. Richards Book and CD set, but I felt the paperback $10 book "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" worked much better for my social anxiety and depression. I have been on every medication, to therapists, in group therapy, and CBT has by far helped me the most with my problems by eventually changing the irrational thoughts which I used to have. I would highly recommend this book, and it does take work, sort of like homework but definitely worth it!!

#27 ·
I am currently in CB Therapy. This is my third month. Here is a little bit about why I sought out help, what CB meant to me when I started, and where I am at now.

Brief history: SA got worse over time. In my youth, money and suburban life covered up much of my SA. When I felt nervous about eating around others, I simply slipped the hostess a "tip" and got a tall, isolated booth where nobody could see or overhear me. I drove everywhere in my car with tinted windows. And if for instance my computer broke down and I had to go into Bestbuy or somewhere to fix it, I would simply buy a new one and have it sent to me overnight online.

Then I grew up and reality hit me. I was on my own, living on a very small budget. That meant taking the bus everywhere, sharing an apartment, working along side coworkers, cafes, etc. I was in a big city and going to a big school. Classrooms, crowded public transportation, group projects, elevators, crowded cafes, sidewalks, you name it... people everywhere. With no constructive coping mechanisms (I had destructive ones like isolation, alcohol, etc. which didnt' help anything), my SA got worse and worse.

I could no longer function. I avoided everything because the pressure was too great. If I was 30 seconds late for class, the thought of having everyone look at me as I walked in late was too great, so I skipped it, even if major papers were due. I constantly missed appointments, being too afraid to go to them (though I was great at scheduling them!). Even though I loved certain cafes, parks, etc., I was too afraid to get outside and go to them because what that entailed (walking in public, the bus, what if the places were crowded?). I began to have panic attacks, grades dropped, got fired from multiple jobs for not showing up, relationships broke down. So I finally admitted I had a problem and signed up with a CB therapist (one on one sessions).

CBT experience: the first week.
I was excited about getting help. I truly wanted to get better, and was pretty depressed, so I was willing to try anything to get out of my mental state of hell. My therapist explained to me that we were going to try to change my (1) thoughts, (2) behaviors, and that that would eventually lead to changing (or controlling / accepting) my emotions, my bad thoughts, and even my physical comfort level. We started slow. She let me talk about all my SA problems and get them off my chest, which I really needed to do because I had no support system whatsoever. She started me out with simple exercises like mapping out my reaction to simple situations like getting the mail: what did I feel when I went to get the mail? Fears? Thoughts / bad stories? I enjoyed doing these exercises because I had never analyzed myself in such a way... sort of from a neutral, third person perspective.

The therapy didn't instantly "save" me or shift my perspective in life, or "cure" me. I still had major anxiety and depression. I felt upbeat in the first week in that I was out there, trying something new, dealing with my problems, talking to someone.

CBT experience: current situation.

After three months of therapy, I'd like to tell you all that I am much better, but that would be a lie. Things are moving along slowly... but they are moving. To shift my way of thinking is going to take a lot of time... and a lot of energy! Yes, cognitive therapy isn't some passive process where you lay back for the ride. On the contrary, it takes a lot of work, constant effort (in the form of thoughtfulness / awareness), and some faith too, to get through the bad times. I am still optimistic.

So what has changed for me? Not anything major, but I have small changes that occur in me daily that I am proud of. For instance, today I wanted to eat a bowl of cereal after finishing my dinner (instead of studying; procrastination). Instead of mindlessly getting and eating the cereal like a zombie, or screaming at myself in my head "don't eat the cereal you Fn loser, you need to study," and then stubbornly trying to study while still thinking of the cereal the whole time (which is what would happen before), I stopped myself.

I paused in the kitchen and I thought to myself "OK, my therapist said I should take a breath and be aware of my thoughts and behavior tonight, so I'll do that now before I eat the cereal." (I was still intending to eat the cereal at this point.) So I stood there in the kitchen, took some breaths, and "checked out" my body: I felt a little cold, my head hurt, my jaw was clenching, and my stomach felt full. I accepted all that. Next step, I reviewed how I was feeling: anxious (obviously), stressed, confused, low-confidence, aimless, sad, and much more. I accepted that.

Then I surveyed my thoughts (I was supposed to write them down by was too lazy, but I guess I'm doing that now): I wanted cereal, and I wanted it now. I didn't want to study. The cereal would make me feel good. I needed to study because I'm in finals, but I'm too stupid and tired to study at night anyway, so I might as well eat cereal. How did I become such a loser, standing in my kitchen analyzing if I should eat cereal? Just act! Don't just sit here. If I deny myself this cereal, my night will be ruined. And so on and so on went my thoughts. I accepted these thoughts.

At the end, I took all my emotions, thoughts, and sensations and told myself: "Hey man, this is what is going on with you in this moment. You are a stressed out guy, standing in a cold kitchen having just eaten dinner, full, not wanting to study because studying will suck, and wanting to eat cereal because it tastes so good and you need a break." I accepted all that. Then I asked myself "So what does this guy (myself) want to do at this point?" I decided to not eat the cereal and ate an apple instead.

That to me is CB therapy at work. I know the above was far from major, but that's fine, right now I'm just learning the technique, so when some major life-break down happens in the future (and those bad days always eventually come for everyone), I will be prepared. Through the CB therapy, I realized my old way of living was "auto-pilot": I just reacted to everything, kept repeating the same thoughts over and over, the same emotions, and getting the same results. CB therapy is slowly giving me some control back, so that in any given situation I have a choice to make, I don't just react. This is good because my old way of reacting to almost all social situations was this: "I'm a loser, I can't be social, I wish I just died...," which caused me to be depressed, which caused me to avoid whatever social situation was bothering me.

So whoever out there is wondering if CB therapy is right for them, I hope my story helps, if you managed to read my rather long post all the way through. Just know going in that it takes time. And you are an active participant. If you don't do the work, the therapy will fail. It's not some therapist giving you all the answers to life and telling you what to do to get better, it's really the therapists job just to give the tools... the techniques... for getting better yourself. The more I practice the above techniques of assessing my own thoughts and feelings, accepting them, and then going above and beyond them, the more control I feel over my life... and this GREATLY reduces my anxiety.

I will update you guys next year on where I'm at with my therapy. Thanks to everyone else for sharing your stories. (Disclosure: six months ago, I began taking anti-depressants for my panic attacks, and I've been on those the whole way through my CBT. They have also helped a lot. They've taken the "edge" off my fear and anxiety, enough so I can move, act, and think again, and not just stay home afraid to move.)

#166 ·
U are really great at expressing urself! I really feel the same way all the time(!), about having always second thoughts to go out. Comically described episode in the kitchen was very helpful way to learn about CB! Thank you, looking forward to read ur following post about CB progress!

#30 ·
CBT, thumbs up!

Hi, guys. Today is my first day on the forum and I stumbled upon this thread. It disheartens me to think that some people have really taken to negative thoughts about CBT (but, honestly, I'd say I'm not surprised.. because it is in our nature with s.a.d. to have negative thoughts). I wanted to discuss a bit about my current treatment.

I live in South Florida and found an anxiety treatment center at the University of Miami. It's generally Phd students who are working towards becoming psychologists, but I must say.. my experience overall has been great. They are supervised by licensed professionals (so, yes, there are cameras involved but I tend to forget they're there). I began my treatment at the end of September so I've only been in treatment about 2 and a half months.

In particular.. I see a therapist individually once a week for about 50 minutes and I also joined the group session which is held once a week for about 2 hours. I have had many ups and downs (but fortunately more ups).

I have to say, that I can't imagine any other way to work on social anxiety. I'm 26 and have had these horrible habits since I was at least 5 years old. I fear embarassment and constantly worry about what others are thinking of me. Do they think I'm stupid? Am I bothering them by merely conversing with them? CBT helps put me in situations which I've avoided all my life... asking questions in a store, striking up a conversation with a stranger, and presenting in front of groups of varying size. Without CBT and without my therapists, I just don't see how I could have possibly performed these exposures on my own. I highly recommend it.. and if you're able, I would certainly attempt this with a therapist because reading a book doesn't give you the same push that maybe a therapist can give.

Essentially, I feel disheartened by others' negative experiences because I wonder if they were hoping to be "fixed" in a short amount of time. In many cases (such as my own) those with social anxiety have had the disorder for countless years and the thoughts and habits that accumulated over these years certainly can't be undone within a matter of weeks or even months. While my treatment is limited to a certain amount of weeks, there are follow-ups and I have been given the tools to work on reducing my negative automatic thoughts in the future. Therapy is only at a maximum a few hours a week, the rest of the week (and your life) is up to you.

If you're considering CBT as a treatment, I highly recommend it. But it takes a lot of courage, patience, and most importantly commitment. Are you ready to make a change? If so, CBT is for you. If not, it won't be successful. I hope I helped with this long post (oops! :eek:ops).. if I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask! In conjunction with therapy.. I also have begun reading "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by David D. Burns, M.D. and I am finding it helpful as well, so far. :group

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it." - Bill Cosby

#43 ·
Hi, guys. Today is my first day on the forum and I stumbled upon this thread. It disheartens me to think that some people have really taken to negative thoughts about CBT (but, honestly, I'd say I'm not surprised.. because it is in our nature with s.a.d. to have negative thoughts). I wanted to discuss a bit about my current treatment.

I live in South Florida and found an anxiety treatment center at the University of Miami. It's generally Phd students who are working towards becoming psychologists, but I must say.. my experience overall has been great. They are supervised by licensed professionals (so, yes, there are cameras involved but I tend to forget they're there). I began my treatment at the end of September so I've only been in treatment about 2 and a half months.

In particular.. I see a therapist individually once a week for about 50 minutes and I also joined the group session which is held once a week for about 2 hours. I have had many ups and downs (but fortunately more ups).

I have to say, that I can't imagine any other way to work on social anxiety. I'm 26 and have had these horrible habits since I was at least 5 years old. I fear embarassment and constantly worry about what others are thinking of me. Do they think I'm stupid? Am I bothering them by merely conversing with them? CBT helps put me in situations which I've avoided all my life... asking questions in a store, striking up a conversation with a stranger, and presenting in front of groups of varying size. Without CBT and without my therapists, I just don't see how I could have possibly performed these exposures on my own. I highly recommend it.. and if you're able, I would certainly attempt this with a therapist because reading a book doesn't give you the same push that maybe a therapist can give.

Essentially, I feel disheartened by others' negative experiences because I wonder if they were hoping to be "fixed" in a short amount of time. In many cases (such as my own) those with social anxiety have had the disorder for countless years and the thoughts and habits that accumulated over these years certainly can't be undone within a matter of weeks or even months. While my treatment is limited to a certain amount of weeks, there are follow-ups and I have been given the tools to work on reducing my negative automatic thoughts in the future. Therapy is only at a maximum a few hours a week, the rest of the week (and your life) is up to you.

If you're considering CBT as a treatment, I highly recommend it. But it takes a lot of courage, patience, and most importantly commitment. Are you ready to make a change? If so, CBT is for you. If not, it won't be successful. I hope I helped with this long post (oops! :eek:ops).. if I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask! In conjunction with therapy.. I also have begun reading "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by David D. Burns, M.D. and I am finding it helpful as well, so far. :group

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it." - Bill Cosby
Brilliant post. :clap

#31 ·
Hey there. These are some great thoughts, and I agree with every one of them. I, too, am finding CBT extremely helpful. That said, I am just working with the cognitive piece. I would really like to find a behavioral therapy group to supplement the cognitive portion. I am jealous of the program that you're in. Anyway, I hope things continue going well! :)

#32 ·
Your info says you're from San Fran.. maybe some of the local universities have CBT sessions? It's not inexpensive.. but I'd say if its within your means.. it's worth it. Feeling the way I've felt my whole life, just about any money in my account was worth it to me! I truly hope you find a program near you :) good luck!!

#33 ·
I think the trick to good CBT, which despite it's fancy name is usually just affirmations from what I've seen, is to get at statements that are actually TRUE for you. Every example of it that I've seen in books has been complete hogwash that I can get in any New Age book of magic words that don't work unless you can hypnotize yourself into believing them, and for someone with a serious disorder that will not last long or go very far if works at all. But in desperation after reading book after book about anxiety that doesn't help, I decided to try harder to make what I read work, and that's what I found -- it takes FOREVER to come up with something I can believe but if I do it does help. The trouble besides zoning in on it and the time it takes is that I have a very serious disorder so I have a LOT of beliefs that work against me. Which, btw is the trick to zoning in on issues and coming up with good disputations -- they are not ALL irrational thoughts and most CBT I've read treats them all that way. But it is more like a fact in my life that my father, for instance, will argue with me. Thinking something like "The past doesn't equal the future" or some nonsense helps not at all because it is not really true. So I have to work along the lines of "Most likely he will argue with me" and then work something out that I can live with from that when I have to approach him. I then usually go to some other nonsense I read in CBT books like "Well I don't have to fall apart" but those are not true either. Of course I don't HAVE to fall apart, but my problem is I DO. So I then start fishing around for why I do, what belief I have that causes me to react that way that I might be able to change, that's something that HE implanted and that I myself don't really believe, or that I really am not completely sure of for some reason that gives me some leeway to break away from the feelings and beliefs that ARE rational given my circumstances, but don't SERVE me well, in favor of something that I can believe is TRUE, not something I'd merely LIKE to be true like "I don't care".

"Is he always right?"
"Well he's usually right"
"But isn't there some things you have been right about?"

The thing is I am also in Adult Children of Alcoholics which is my bedrock of therapy. So I take what I learn there and then use CBT to apply it. Without some other source of support and insight, CBT is useless.

#34 ·
I started CBT several weeks ago. It's started to help me feel better.

If you want to get better, you can't be passive. You can't just sit there and hope your anxiety goes away. CBT has helped me realize that. It's helped me start to face the things I'm afraid of and take charge of my mind.

#35 ·
I think it works if you're willing and able to get the help. What brings me here is my 10 yo child who is literally so terrified daily she's now not wanting to go to school. So far we're talking our lips off about how to relax, taking warm baths, breathing in our nose and out our mouths and she's just not having it. I'm literally at my wits end and feeling less than hopeful about her situation. She wants me to home school her. I know thats the wrong thing but she's home AGAIN today, as she has been 1 day a week for like the last 5 weeks. I'm so sick of people telling me I'm such a great mom for recognizing that she has a problem and taking her to get help when it isn't helping.

I was lucky to sort of fumble my way out of anxiety and move into a deep depression that is finally (mostly) under control with medication but I feel so at a loss as to how to proceed here. We've been to the therapists, she's on meds and it isn't helping.

This is more of a vent than a well meaning message but I'm really really angry with today!! Off to see if I can get her in to her psychiatrist today for xanax for my 10yo. sigh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.