Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Technology Marches On

562 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  WillYouStopDave 
#1 ·
So Disney+ has come out and it's made me depressed about technology.

Everything Disney's made available at your fingertips for $5/month?????

Remember when buying 1 movie was exciting? Going to the store, or library, or Blockbuster to rent 1? The waiting, the anticipation. The giftwrap around it if it was a present. The PHYSICALNESS of it? The packaging designed to get you to want to see it? Having a collection.

All the TV shows. Remember when you had to watch what was on TV whether you liked it or not? If you caught it in the middle, you had to watch it starting in the middle. If it was a rerun you've seen 1000 times, you're watching it 1001 times.

This isn't just against Disney+ and streaming. I hate all the rapid advances in technology we've seen the past couple decades.

I don't get all excited when a new video game system comes out. Get me some PacMan or Space Invaders. Get me NES Super Mario Bros or Pokemon Red & Blue. The excitement of going from black-and-white to color. The excitement of going from 2D to 3D.

I hate how everything's digital. I hate how smartphones can do everything. I hate how screens are everywhere. It hurts my eyes! But why replace a menu with a screen at restaurants?

It's really sad to me things like flashlights, newspapers, calculators, phonebooks, paper checkbooks, magazines, camcorders, cameras, paper books can be wiped out. I guess so much reliance on trees for paper isn't good, but jeez.

What technology is next? Sometimes I hear scientists are working on transmitting your brain's memories into a computer so you can 'live forever.'

I don't think teleportation is as far off as people think. It's coming. Maybe you can transmit your brain's memories like you can text or call someone, and the brain's memories are uploaded into a robot or some sort of other artificial body, so 'you' can still be there.

I hear about driverless cars all the time. I have friends/family who are blind and they like the idea, but I'm not sure it's overall good. Jobs will be lost.

Technology and robots have done so much harm to the labor force. Instead of 10 people working at a company, now it takes just 1 person due to robots/computers/etc. Thankfully, there's still lot of jobs out there, and it even creates new jobs, but what was wrong with having humans do those tasks?

Technology makes me sad. It does a lot of good, and I'm a victim by choice to a lot of it, but I think people invent things without realizing the consequences of it.

"They were so busy doing it, they didn't stop and ask if they should do it."

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry, wmu, we're just too incompatible. I confess I love technology. I love streaming and having everything at the touch of a finger on a computer screen, considering I could never afford to buy individual movies or CDs anyway. Driverless cars appeal to me, since my vertigo prevents me from driving. And I especially like the idea of transmitting my consciousness into an artificial body. I'm not nuts about the job situation, since I tend to think that technology eats jobs faster than it creates them, and I will probably never convert from paper books to digital books, because I'm a bibliophile, but for the most part, I'm looking forward to my future as a cyborg living in harmony with my robot overlords.

#3 ·
If capitalism keeps working in the way it does now then it's going to be bad because the technology will be limited to elites and there will be a huge divide between rich and poor. This depends on the current system being perpetuated though with added technology.

Teleportation is interesting philosophically because some ways it could be done would involve killing you.

Disney+ doesn't interest me but I'll probably pirate the new Loki and/or Scarlet Witch TV shows (if that ones still happening,) when they come out at some point.

I prefer PC gaming to console generally now, unfortunately some games are console exclusives..

3D printing is interesting. You can get those pens too that print plastic. I'm quite surprised I haven't heard any stories of mass shooters using 3D printed guns yet, I don't know what that says about how easy it is to obtain firearms via other means in America lol, it'll happen sooner or later. But tbh screw that because swords/armour:

#5 ·
Problem is the bad that comes with technology. Self driving cars, self locked doors and cashless are kind of nice, cool and practical until your access to what you own is restricted or taken away. Not to mention surveillance everywhere/Social credit scores and control on the population like in China.

A lot of stuff is interesting. When i was a kid i never though id be able to play games on a phone and watching movies or take great pictures on it, but here we are.

Also back then when Nintendo came out i thought it was the best graphics in the world compared to Atari or Coleco. Never thought they would evolve to look so realistic like today.

#6 ·
i really like just needing to have a few things rather than a big pile of disks, DVDs, CDs, tapes, books, etc etc. and i like that i can steal most audio/visual/written products really easily and not have to pay anything 😂

#8 ·
I love all the new technology tbh but I know what you mean OP. Plus I'm definitely pretty behind with a lot of it. I still actually use dvd's that I get from the library - but I'll probably get a giant TV soon and hook it up to the internet and Netflix like everyone else.

What's interesting is that many people still like buying things like books. Quite a few young people want to have a real paper copy of them - instead of just reading them all on their devices.

#10 ·
Stupid the MJ episode on The Simpsons isn't available. Recently watched that episode. Apparently that was the first celebrity they got, way back in Season 1 or Season 2.

Also, those smart home devices r scary as hell!!! Now they have smart refrgierators. Who needs one of those? What's the point?

For whatever reason, physical books are a lot easier to read then off a screen. I guess I don't like all the scrolling, it's easier on the eyes, etc.

I go to the library, and there's always a lot of people there. Paperbooks aren't dying. The ability to check-out movies might, tho, which is sad, because sometimes I'll check out a movie.

teleportation are probably way off. so is digitising your brain. still sci fi
I can only hope.

#9 ·
Do complain about it myself. Like video games. Having to be connected to an account to play. Can't just pop a disc in and go anymore. Have to download patches and wait. I worry about losing personal digital images also. Enough so that I used to do a lot of film shooting just for longevity. But I don't use film anymore because it's so expensive and has to be shipped. Will never buy one of those smart home devices or webcams. My TV recently died so I'm going to find a new one, opinions online say that most now are Smart TV's which spy on you. You have to pay extra for a dumb TV these days if you don't want to deal with spying.

I was going to pass on Disney+ but I heard they have The Simpsons (minus Michael Jackson episode), TaleSpin and DuckTales, so it might be worth the 6 bucks.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
I'm ready for solar panels on my roof, a battery pack to power the house, a greenhouse full of marijuana (which I smoke with rolling papers not a vape pen), an electric pickup truck, an electric motorcycle, but keep the fat tire bikes human powered so we get some exercise :p

plus we need bullet trains to go from city to city
I think we're overdue for underground cities, decentralized power grid, free wifi for all and so forth. Putting everything underground just makes a lot of sense. Stable temps all year. No need to worry about the weather. Air quality can be controlled much more effectively.

Of course this probably won't happen soon for the same reason bullet trains don't. Engineering an entire environment on that scale is very expensive. (just as the infrastructure for bullet trains doesn't exist in the US).

#13 ·
I don't necessarily have a problem with the availability, though I feel that aspect affects the quality of the actual content. The same thing is happening to music, it's evolving because of the way we consume it. We rarely actively listen to music today, it's done secondarily while doing some other thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.