Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - I want to find something to live for
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:24 PM
jtd1974
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I'm very close to my parents, but I ended up living on the other side of the world to them. It's tough, especially now they're getting older. If I hadn't made the move when I did (and it was very difficult to do), I could see myself still living at home with them. I was 30 when I left.

So in a way it's good that you have them with you for support, even if it doesn't feel that way.

I guess I've always had hobbies, my own stuff that I need to make life bearable. My work sucks, but I've never been career minded, so that's my lot in life. I work because it's expected for a married man with kids, but to me it's a means to an end so I can indulge in my chosen activity when not working.

I was a lot like you describe, struggling to connect with people on any meaningful level. For me things have improved a lot since I found a medication that works, after many years messing around with ones that didn't. Now I can interact without anxiety creating a constant barrier, I've found I enjoy it. I'm more of a social creature than I realised.

You seem to have written yourself off as "mentally ill", as if you've somehow internalized the label. I don't know you, but you write clearly and intelligently.

Is social anxiety your main stumbling block? Because that can be treated and managed. Or do you have other issues that you feel are holding you back?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome