Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Depression

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  skyg4 
#1 ·
Ive had depression my whole life, as a child I had thoughts of suicide, started cutting at 15 and had a mental breakdown between my early and mid twenties, im in my 30's now and it just doesnt get easier. The last couple of weeks have been up and down but the last two weeks ive been finding it really hard to cope. It started with intense anger and regret over past experiences, ruminating thoughts that I couldnt stop, I havnt been able to eat, ive lost half a stone in weight, im exhausted all the time, I cant manage to get myself out of the house, can barely get out of bed, ive been having nightmares, my anxiety is really high, ive been moody and fighting with family.
I just cant seem to get myself out of this slump no matter what I do or how hard I try. I feel horrible and alone and I cant stop crying
How do I stop feeling like this? .

#2 ·
Are you on any medication? If not, from your post I'd say it's warranted. If you are, it seems like it isn't working for you, so perhaps something different could help.

Sorry to be kind of blunt, but I'm a believer in avoiding unnecessary suffering wherever possible. There's no value in it.

Good luck 😎

#3 ·
Hi, Dear...it sounds like all your emotions are tumbling down on you. Have you ever tried therapy? Finding a therapist to talk to can really help. Do you have any friends or close family who you can trust enough to talk to?

#4 ·
Hey, I know how it feels to be under the mercy of depression, its like an ocean tide that you can do nothing about except wait for it to subside. For me personally, the keto diet really helped to suppress the intensity of my depressive episodes and the frequency of it. I know its difficult to change diet when you're depressed so wait for a time when you are not feeling so bad and give it a try. An overall, health-conscious lifestyle will help, but I recommend that you start with changing your diet first because it will have a ripple effect on your overall mood and energy level.

This is just my personal opinion based on my own experience with the keto diet, it doesn't work for everyone but it just might work for you.

Wish you the best!

#7 ·
I was thinking negatively when I had depression. I was thinking about the bad things in life and focusing on suffering. My destructive thinking was that the only way out was to end my life. I didn't know how to think positively. I was stuck in this big thought that life is hell and I believed it. Believing that life is hell is completely destructive. I think for having a new life philosophy really helped. I now believe in optimism and a lot of Buddhist thinking. Destructive thinking is also illogical. Being optimistic even though it may seem like a lie at times is actually more logical because its logical to want to be happy. That is the other thing about the destructive thinking I was in. I thought it was logical, but it isn't in truth. Depression might be different for other people, but for me that's what I was experiencing.

#8 ·
It's definitely important to make some steps and look into your options. Keeping depression to yourself is dangerous, especially when prone to suicidal thoughts, and it's at times an unpredictable experience. At least for me, it tends to hit even on my best days. Sometimes I think it's something that doesn't really go away entirely, but when treated, can be more manageable at least.

I feel that treatment varies person to person, so it's best to gather your options and try them out. I've done counseling, medication, and spiritual support. It's good to have something personal that helps you cope better, even if it's just indulging in a passion or hobby that helps ease the stress and pain of depression.

I think another important factor is being able to share & communicate what you are going through, because it's often a very isolating and sufferable condition that unfortunately, many around us or in our inner circles may not be able to understand. So, in this case counseling or some type of therapy can help with this. They may even be able to suggest a more personalized approach and teach you new coping mechanisms you may not have practiced in the past. They can also help you to identify the type of depression you're experiencing, or even pinpoint something else that may be triggering this event, and assist you in working through it.

I've found that writing out your feelings and experiences in a journal or online blog to be quite useful also. Sometimes just being able to let it out, and then let it go, feels like a sort of cleansing experience for me. I rarely go back and read what I've written too, because it doesn't feel necessary anymore.

Wishing you all the best :)

#9 ·
I have been there. It still gets to me sometimes.

I have had bouts of depressive symptoms off-and-on since late high school. Only recently have I been able to try and come out of it, with 1 therapy session and trying to remain optimistic about my future. I hope you can get through this. :rub

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.