Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Looking to make a change
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Chris Tierney
ChrisUK28

Looking to make a change

Hi guys,

This is my first ever post in this forum so I hope I am doing this right...

I am a 28 male from the UK and have suffered with social anxiety for about 10 years. Right now it is at it's worst I have no job, no friends and a difficult living situation. I must stress this is not intended to be a sob story, I am lucky to have family around me. The problem is no-one can really relate to my situation. I struggle to leave the house or even be in public at the moment and it seems impossible to get a job.

I am a Psychology graduate and have spent the last few months researching social anxiety and have decided I am going to take a stand and push myself to defeat my fears and take back my life. I have discovered techniques such as Exposure Therapy and Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT). REBT was developed by a Psychologist called Dr Albert Ellis who suffered from social anxiety, his technique on approaching girls sitting on a bench is pretty interesting if you want to look that up.

Basically, I want to push myself as far as possible and see if I can overcome social anxiety. I am aware it is going to be a difficult road ahead and I am hoping to find like minded people who want to try and overcome this horrible illness. If you feel like starting the journey with me or are further down the line and can offer advice I would love to hear from you.

For me the worst part about my situation is the loneliness and the inability to relate to others, finding like-minded people would be a huge help. Hopefully, we can overcome this together!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome