Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Have you ever grown out your facial hair?

2K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  973639 
#1 ·
I always shaved with a razor and cream until I was 25 or so. I liked having a smooth face and shaved about every other day. Then I started using an electric shaver and it didn't shave as closely so I got into the stubble look and started shaving only about twice a week. Then beginning of 2018 I decided to grow out my beard and see if it would turn out. I can grow a nice beard so I decided to keep it. Sometimes I shave it down to a stubble and let it grow back in, but otherwise I stay bearded.

#3 ·
My beard is less than pretty but it’s mine and it’s growing again. I always say I’m going to max it out but have usually ended up trimming it or worse ****ing up the trim and having to shave. I’ve done many styles too, L-Chops, L-Chops + Stache, L-Chops + Goatee, Solo Stache, Solo Goatee, Chin Strap, Chin Strap + Stache, etc. My thing about shaving is for it to work you have to everyday or every second day or the stubble is growing back in immediately and my skin is far too sensitive for that, just equals razor burn and bumps which I ain’t having at all. Likewise with styles it’s far too much maintenance to keep them. I can’t do the stubble look as that looks worse on me than a scruffy full beard so scruffy full or scruffy full without the stache is basically my default now. I’ve always loved beards and always wanted one anyway, just wish it was more dense. I think if I shave my head this year I’ll max it out for good. I do try to keep it combed/brushed and oiled with a neckline for some semblance of neatness

#18 ·
My beard is less than pretty but it's mine and it's growing again. I always say I'm going to max it out but have usually ended up trimming it or worse ****ing up the trim and having to shave. I've done many styles too, L-Chops, L-Chops + Stache, L-Chops + Goatee, Solo Stache, Solo Goatee, Chin Strap, Chin Strap + Stache, etc. My thing about shaving is for it to work you have to everyday or every second day or the stubble is growing back in immediately and my skin is far too sensitive for that, just equals razor burn and bumps which I ain't having at all. Likewise with styles it's far too much maintenance to keep them. I can't do the stubble look as that looks worse on me than a scruffy full beard so scruffy full or scruffy full without the stache is basically my default now. I've always loved beards and always wanted one anyway, just wish it was more dense. I think if I shave my head this year I'll max it out for good. I do try to keep it combed/brushed and oiled with a neckline for some semblance of neatness
I used to want to grow a goatee when I was about 18 or so but I didn't end up doing it, I used to be really embarassed to have facial hair for some reason. I also used to want a chinstrap but it seemed like a lot of work to keep it even. So I just grow the whole thing out instead.

#4 ·
yeah but it's too coarse. I dont wanna have a beard i just got lazy and tired of paying for razors. it looked ok if I out effort into it. otherwise it looked messy.

#5 ·
No don't like it at all, I've grown it for about a week a couple times till it got really annoying & itchy.

#14 ·
I’ve been growing out my beard for about 5 months, just wanted a different look, a change I guess. Maybe I just wanted to hide more of my face. Probably need a trim but I kinda like it. Haven’t properly shaved my facial hair off in years.

#15 ·
I stopped shaving about ten years ago. All I've used since is a beard trimmer once a week to maintain the stubble but lately I've been letting it grow. Partly out of laziness and partly because depression kicked in and I stopped caring about my looks. I haven't done anything with it for several weeks now and its coming in pretty thick. Usually I could only stand it for two weeks before the itchiness drove me crazy but I seem to have made it past that point now so I might just let it grow out this time.

#16 ·
When I first started growing mine out I let it get really big. But it was just hard to manage and I don't like having to use the beard balms and such because they irritate my throat from having to smell them all the time. Someday I would like to try growing a bigger beard again though, I do like how it looks.

#19 ·
Got a beard right now. Usually grow it out every few months for a month or so, then I get tired of it. I feel it adds another level of irritating maintenance to my routine. Sometimes I get paranoid about how it makes me look older. Also question how it looks at times. It's a full beard and all, but I have these two bald spots on either side of my soul patch (like many others) I don't like. I always wanted to grow one of those crazy Jeremiah Johnson beards but I need those pricks to fill in. Also have the disadvantage of being somewhat blond, so it can look patchy even in areas that are filled in till it gets some good length.

#22 ·
I let my facial hair grow out when puberty kicked in and until I was around 20. I had a ratty goatee and moustache. For the most part I'm clean shaven, or atleast don't let my facial hair advance past the stubble stage.

#33 ·
Not really. My facial hair is kinda low DPI (and has more gray in it than my head hair) so it doesn't improve my looks at all. I often let it grow a bit of stubble between shaves because I'm lazy and shaving hurts (honestly). The nature of my facial hair is that it apparently takes more effort than it does for most men to get mine to the point to where it wants to be shaved.

Mostly, razors want to pull my facial hair out by the roots rather than cut it. That makes me dread shaving. Which makes it worse when I do because I have to trim it down with an electric and then do the normal shaving thing. Which is annoying.

I have never grown a full beard. I think I'd probably look like an escaped mental patient. My eyes are a bit scary anyway (I noticed this when I took a "selfie" awhile back and noticed they had more than a bit of that "wild" look about them, which convinced me that I definitely want to avoid eye contact with people even more). If you combined that with a low DPI beard with a lot of gray in it, I think that would not be a good look. :lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.