Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Should a middle class person feel guilty for buying lottery tickets ?
View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:26 PM
andy1984
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
Where is this nitpicky guilt even coming from? (Spoiler: maybe from the history of your childhood)

Lottery thing is not anti-capitalist in its nature to begin with Not everybody would even buy a lottery ticket. Plus you're not taking any money from people with lower income than yours. I mean is this from the country budget? As far as I know, it's not.

I think if everyone will be this way then lots of people will find lots of these super small and often totally insignificant things to feel guilty about.

I can understand feeling guilty about buying things made by slave/exploitative labor (it should be less guilt, but more doing stuff about it to end it cause it's often even not avoidable). But I don't think you're exploiting anyone with the lottery. You haven't even won yet!

the random nature of lottery is not right. distributive ethics would mandate money should be given to some people rather than others. this is like a voluntary tax to an arbitrary government which gives aid to people regardless of their position in life, entirely randomly. who would tolerate such a government? just because the transaction is small relative to your other transactions doesn't make it not wrong. ethics/fairness brings us from the random/arbitrary state of nature towards a reasoned state of merit/reward/...

this is sharing money within the first world. you live in US or wherever, and this amount of money is easily disposable. no one in the 3rd world is going to buy a lotto ticket.

anyway, obviously this is the smallest expenditure you could worry about, it is relatively inconsequential. but imo its wrong in principal. especially if you scale it up, buy 100 tickets, 1000 tickets. how good is it then? what a waste!

but also its recently been proven that i can't relate to the middle class so idk middle class people should do whatever they do.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome