Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Transition from Paxil to Cymbalta....

610 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  millenniumman75 
#1 ·
Heh, I am actually posting in this thread. After over 14 years of using Paroxetine/Paxil, my doctor officially said "find another medication"....I run 18 miles a week and still gained 12 pounds in the last 18 months alone (only losing 2). Overall, I gained 55 pounds over the 14 years. He indicated I "should" get off the med 18 months ago, but it became "must" this time.

So....my psych doc is transitioning me to Cymbalta - so I won't have the severe brain zaps and withdrawals from Paxil.

Has anyone been on these medications and can tell me what to expect with Cymbalta? I hope to lose at least half of the weight I gained on Paxil.

.....shockingly, I still look fit (not stereotypically obese at 6'3"), but over the years the weight can take a toll on the body. I ain't gettin' any younger and am on low dose blood pressure medication due to the weight.

#2 ·
Don't do it! This medication has been working for you for 14 years! It's "your" medication, don't try something else, if this is working for you. If the weight gain isn't that severe try changing to a new diet first. Try new exercises. If nothing works and the weight gain is becoming a health threat, you can still consider a change.

That being said, I've been on Cymbalta for many years and I like it to this day. But mind that everybody's body prefers different medications, especially when it comes to pharmaceuticals. Cymbalta is my spirit drug, but it could be the complete opposite for you

#3 ·
The weight gain could have potentially become a threat. I was already put on blood pressure medication three years ago (I am really only "borderline" but they put me on it anyway). The weight gain was rather rapid compared to the exercise. All the running I did wasn't doing much good.....I even watched what I ate and weight loss was rather minimal.
It was at the request of my regular doctor. I get a check-up every six months and he noticed the gains from just the last 18 months. He sent the information to my psych doc and she was taken aback by it. I tried to tell her what was going on, but when the data was sent, she knew it was time. I have been taking naps nearly every day now. The sedation was another reason.

I was on Celexa for a couple of years way back and it worked for me, too. The only med that didn't work was Lexapro.

The goal is to lose some of the weight...I may end up off the BP meds in the long run, too. I would be able to exercise more.

I am in the third day of transition (it's a six week process) and I can already feel a bit of a difference. I'm still a bit sedated, but it's a different calmness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.