Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Hello from D.C.
Thread: Hello from D.C.
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
PeterO
SAS Member

Language: English

Hello from D.C.

Hello!

I have just found out about this forum. I am a 44-year-old Washington, D.C. resident, and I've dealt with mild chronic depression (dysthymia), general anxiety, and social anxiety since adolescence -- with the depression coming first, and the anxiety building later. I actually have a very satisfying life -- I have been married for a long time, and have two sons with whom I have very good relationships. I have a decent job I (mostly) like, I have found some ways to volunteer and engage in activism that do not stress out my anxieties too much, and I am involved in community/amateur and low-low-low-level professional theatre.

My social anxiety has been worse over the past couple of years, but I have learned to work with it even as I work against it. I challenge myself to overcome it when it prevents me from doing things I would like to do, but I also no longer beat myself up about just wanting to stay home or not interact with people or ignore a ringing phone or a knock at the door.

I had been somewhat active on a couple of Facebook social anxiety and Highly Sensitive Person groups, but Facebook created more anxiety than joy for me, and I have growing issues with the company itself, so I've shut down permanently. (I do post on Twitter occasionally at @PeterO rvetti .)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome