Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What Are You Thinking About Right Now?

1M views 33K replies 633 participants last post by  discopotato 
#1 ·
#13,789 ·
Lying in bed trying to fall asleep feels extremely weird now. I am looking to my left and there is no one there. Up until just recently there always was. On my right side is my phone. For a very long time I would use it or my pc to skype sleep with. There is no human voice coming from it now, and there probably wont be for a very long time, or ever again. Everything just feels empty, and I feel lost now.

#13,791 ·
I wish my mom was still here. She came down and stayed for 2 weeks to help after surgery. Our relationship seems improved, I was able to be more open about a lot of things. She didn’t even make her usual remarks about me...okay she did but this time they were minimal and not as bad as before; it’s a good start.

#13,794 ·
I'm lonely...I hate admitting it, but it's true, and it's starting to get to me
I think we should start by admitting and accepting it, and be honest with ourselves about ways to combat it that are not merely mindless/bottomless distractions.
Everyone tells me they're lonely, even the ones who have people around them. I'm starting to think it's just the norm.

#13,795 ·
I think we should start by admitting and accepting it, and be honest with ourselves about ways to combat it that are not merely mindless/bottomless distractions.
Everyone tells me they're lonely, even the ones who have people around them. I'm starting to think it's just the norm.
You're right, it's possible it's the norm, however I have a lot of habits that exacerbate it unfortunately and distractions are a large part of it. I find it tough to have hoe for myself when so many of my interactions are awkward at best and my familial relations are a complete mess, plus I'm terrified of truly opening up to anyone lest they abuse my vulnerability. In fact, I think that's what it comes down to ultimately, I feel so vulnerable all the time that the idea of putting myself in that position on purpose for the potential benefits if its works is a risk I've never really been willing to take. Not sure how or if I'll ever get myself out of that habit

#13,796 ·
You're right, it's possible it's the norm, however I have a lot of habits that exacerbate it unfortunately and distractions are a large part of it. I find it tough to have hoe for myself when so many of my interactions are awkward at best and my familial relations are a complete mess, plus I'm terrified of truly opening up to anyone lest they abuse my vulnerability. In fact, I think that's what it comes down to ultimately, I feel so vulnerable all the time that the idea of putting myself in that position on purpose for the potential benefits if its works is a risk I've never really been willing to take. Not sure how or if I'll ever get myself out of that habit
In a way I think trying to overcome our fear of being vulnerable, places too much emphasis on the 'scariness' of vulnerability, and might achieve the opposite effect of making us fear it even more. I was referring more to internal work in recognising that you are not really missing anything, that loneliness is just an illusion created by the expectations around us that we need a certain amount of connection to be 'complete', and once you recognise that then you're emancipated from the feeling of inadequacy and are paradoxically more able to act in a way that satisfies your needs without worrying too much.

Generally I think the way to overcome obstacles is to go along with their flow and somehow try to reverse the dynamics involved, instead of fight against them as we are usually taught. Notice my use of the word 'somehow'... It's a vague concept at this point and I need to look way more into the specifics. But yeah.