Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Minorities playing White figures. Diversity or Tokenism ? Or left wing hypocrisy
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Persephone The Dread
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post
To be clear...do I want the violent 19th centre horror story ? Not really. But that still doesn't mean that a Danish should be portrayed by people who don't at least look Danish.

Someone else posted a video where this man is basically saying that the race thing is a non- issue because it is unimportant to the plot.

I'm just trying to be fair to white folk and not be a hypocrit about it. I dislike the idea of white Jesus as much as the next guy...but that doesn't mean I want a Hercules movie with a black Hercules knowing fully well its based on greek mythology.

All I am saying is...if we can agree that "The last Airbender" was white washed, as with Gods of Egypt, Moses and a whole bunch of other stories based on non-white myths.

Let's not go the other way and racebend culturally white stories for "diversity"

If Hollywood wants cultural diversity...do some research and produce a movie based on African myths, like the Jumbie, La Ja Bless, Soucouyant etc....
Danish people are usually blond/brunette, it's rare to find natural red heads who aren't of British descent.

I'd like a darker/edgier story actually, but then this stuff is marketed at children I suppose (even though I read the original story as a child too.)

I don't think there should be hard rules about people only playing characters who are exactly like them because that's incredibly boring. It really depends on the end result and how relevant their ethnic background or whatever is to the story. There are a few female actors now that play roles that were initially written for a male and I think most of the results have been pretty interesting like:

Apparently they kept the lines the same.

The problem is when it seems very unbalanced towards one group of people.

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome