Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Relying on Alcohol for My Social Anxiety
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Codist
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick83 View Post
ok

1 Do you want to stop with drinking?
Not completely, but I don't want to rely on it for social anxiety anymore. I wish I could just enjoy a drink or two here and there like most people, but I don't stop drinking because I want to continue feeling a buzz all day due to my social anxiety. And you never know what kind of social interactions will happen in a day. Someone unexpectedly coming to the house makes my anxiety go through the roof if I haven't been drinking, even if it's family members. Drinking every day has to be taking its toll on my body, so I exercise 6 mornings a week, simply because I want to almost "counteract" what the alcohol is doing to my heart/body, I guess. I tell myself that if I exercise that much per week and get my heart rate up, surely the alcohol won't make my heart just explode or something one day. Though, I know that can't be necessarily true.

2 Don't you think professional help is needed?
I do. I'm just anxious/nervous to get it. I don't want to be told what type of problems I have, although I know they are there and they are existent.

3 Do you think you are an alcoholic
I feel like that word can vary. I think I'm alcohol-dependent, but not an alcoholic. I know I abuse alcohol, I won't deny that. But I have a job (working from home because my social anxiety only allows me to do work-at-home jobs. Which, don't get me wrong, I love my job, it's what I went to college [online - again, good 'ol social anxiety at its best], but there's part of me that wants to interact with people, but I cringe at the thought of it).

4 You are not alone we are with you so don't feel alone
Thank you. I appreciate this so very much. When you suffer with something like social anxiety, it really does feel like you're alone, so it's nice to be reminded that I'm not alone. And some people in life think they know what you are be going through when dealing with this disease, but they don't truly know unless they suffer from it themselves. Again, thank you.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome