Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Oldest member at 62?
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:59 AM
harrison
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidingintheshadows63 View Post
Hi,

Yes, 62 and looking back at how my whole life has been blighted by SA.

Anyone else around my age and STILL dealing with the same problems?
Do you talk to other people about your condition, or do you, like me hide it from friends and family, as if it's a shameful secret?

Looking to "come out" at least to someone here.

Hiding.
Hi - I'm 60 , so you're a couple of years older than me. It looks really strange when I write that down and it sounds weird when I say it - because I don't think most of the time I feel like that old. I think when I'm feeling okay I feel like I'm still in my 40's or so - until I see myself in a mirror of course.

I feel like my life's been seriously affected by SA - but to nowhere near the extent of many of the people I read about on here. I had a reasonably normal younger life with friends, girlfriends and work - the main thing for me was that I found it really hard to hold down a job for any decent length of time. And I couldn't go to Uni until I was older. I started in my late 30's. I know for a fact that if I hadn't has SA I would have been able to do something much better than the sort of jobs I had.

My wife and my son know about my anxiety - I feel like I can tell my wife (ex really) most things. I know that at least she's not going anywhere no matter what I do - let's put it that, because I've pretty much already done it. She's a pretty amazing person and I'm very lucky to have her. Fortunately she still cares a great deal about me - otherwise I would find things very hard indeed.

I don't think my son likes to talk about the anxiety - but the bipolar is okay. I think that's the case with most people actually and it's how I feel too to a large extent. I would be far more inclined to tell someone I'm bipolar than to admit I have anxiety and especially social anxiety. I know most people have no idea what you're talking about so I just wouldn't do it unless I knew them well and had started to really trust them. Admitting to fear is not something that comes easy to me - and I don't think that's at all surprising considering the sort of blokey/sporty stupid culture I grew up in. It's gradually changing though but in reality I think it's changing extremely slowly and most people would still just think it's weird. So I don't do it.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome