Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Has Your Anxiety Stopped You From Seeking Help?
View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:11 PM
SparklingWater
My guitar gently weeps

No, fortunately. My family is pretty adherent to the idea that therapy and anything remotely psychological or emotional is for the weak and victims, though. Get past it, others have it worse, blah blah blah. The typical language passed down through generations of abuse and invalidation in a family (and society to an extent.) Thankfully, as low as I was, I still had just enough self care to choose to go to therapy (cause at that time my only options seemed to be therapy or suicide cause I was just done- something had to change.) So I chose therapy and it's definitely working for me. It's a lot of work, moreso than I ever thought possible- given I'm basically reprogramming everything I've known/done since I was born and processing a ****load of trauma- but it's sooo worth it. I wish I pursued it earlier, but I was way too indoctrinated by my family to risk it.

Miles to go before I sleep.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome